IGNORED

Atari Cosmos

gambler172

• 1 month later...
It did exist. Nolan Bushnell probobly has the only one.

877776[/snapback]

Actually there are at least two working models and a few empty shells. Curt Vendel has one working model, and a Cosmos designer has the other. There are also several games of which I think Curt has them all.

From what I hear it was pretty lame. You stuck the cool 3-D backdrop in there but the game was on a fairly basic LED display.

Yeah pretty much. I played with it for about 3 min. Basically its a grid of LED's (8x8 maybe) and a holographic background. The picture of the hologram changes when a different light is shown through it, I believe there are two pictures per hologram. The LED grid was very small and the LED's themselves were very large. You really couldn't do much with it, needless to say the games sucked.

Tempest

BTW, Nolan was long gone by the time the Cosmos rolled around. It was Al Alcorn that worked on the project. Nolan was off sailing, missing meetings, and running Chuck E Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre at the time the Cosmos was being kicked around (81ish)