IGNORED

What's your favorite 1st generation game???

King Atari

Does anything bring back more nostalgia then the very early Atari games (77-80)? I remember back when games like Bowling could keep me entertained for hours (still does, in fact). This was way before Xenophobe, of course. Anyways, my vote for the best 1st generation game is Superman (1979). Man, I can't count how many times I've played that game, and my excitement when I figured out you didn't have to actually assemble the bridge, you just brought the pieces to the screen and it would go back together, that was great.

I used to play SpaceWars but the green background used to piss me off. I mean it looked like ships were on a football field!

So to get rid of it I'd turn the tv brightness all the way down and turn the color high up. This caused a pitch black "space" background suitable for the spaceships to do battle in

quote:

I used to play SpaceWars but the green background used to piss me off. I mean it looked like ships were on a football field!

So to get rid of it I'd turn the tv brightness all the way down and turn the color high up. This caused a pitch black "space" background suitable for the spaceships to do battle in

Hey, that's a pretty good idea! Although I was never very fond of that game (I saw it as Combat in space, and I didn't like Combat in the first place), that green background did kinda bug me. And to stay on topic, another 1st gen. game I still love is Basketball. It's simplicity is what made it so great.

I never thought Air-sea battle would be so popular here, i always felt it a poor cousin to combat.

I love Video Olympics - as a UK resident, not having been able to buy actual Atari pong units, VO is as authentic as it gets here. So simple - so perfect.

After that, probably combat.

Most of these games are not 1st generation games.

1st generation games are the original launch titles. I don't have the list off the top of my head but they are CX2601 through 13 or so.

This does not include stuff like Superman or Adventure or Space Invaders.

With this in mind, I'd have to say Indy 500 is my fav. I didn't get it as a kid because of the extra cost of the extra controllers, but it's a pretty fun and unique game to play because of them, and definitely an inpspiration in making Death Derby.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

Most of these games are not 1st generation games.

1st generation games are the original launch titles. I don't have the list off the top of my head but they are CX2601 through 13 or so.

This does not include stuff like Superman or Adventure or Space Invaders.

All right then.... I'll switch from Adventure (2613) to Defender (2609).

Actually the launch titles are usually refered to as "The Original Nine", I think 1st generation means pre-picture labels (at least to me).

The original nine were not limited to the CX2601 - CX2613 range, they were all over the map because Atari was going to have certain numbers be part of certain series (sort of like Intellivision did). The original nine were:

Action? Series

--------------

Combat (CX-2601)

Air-Sea Battle (CX-2602)

Star Ship (CX-2603)

Racing (speedway)? Series

-------------------------

Indy 500 (CX-2611)

Street Racer (CX-2612)

Sports? Series

--------------

Video Olympics (CX-2621)

Strategy? Series

----------------

Surround (CX-2641)

Gambling? Series

----------------

Blackjack (CX-2651)

Learning? Series

----------------

Basic Math (CX-2661)

If you look at the games around these launch titles, you'll see that the genres usually line up (i.e. most sports games are in the 20's). Atari abandonded this idea fairly early on and stuck new titles in where the holes were (this is why RS Baseball is in the middle of Othello and Surround).

Tempest

Actually the launch titles are usually refered to as "The Original Nine", I think 1st generation means pre-picture labels (at least to me).

That's what I think. The picture label era began the more modern era, because the games became so much better graphically. So, Superman, Adventure, and Space Invaders do count.

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

That's what I think. The picture label era began the more modern era, because the games became so much better graphically. So, Superman, Adventure, and Space Invaders do count.

I don't think you can really include any 4K titles as "1st generation".

Not only that, but some 2K titles are clearly 2nd or 3rd generation titles. The early Activision games were 2K titles, like Kaboom or Dragster, but were better looking and better playing than most 1st generation 2K titles.

There really are more than two generations with the 2600.

There really are more than two generations with the 2600.

The way I see it is:

1st gen.- Text labels

2nd gen.- Picture labels

3rd gen.- Silver labels

4th gen.- Red labels

I see it like that because each period had different characteristics. #1/#2 both had quality (although simple) games, with fairly bad graphics but fun gameplay, #3 is the port area, since most Silver label games were ports of arcade games, plus the graphics started to get better, #4 is the best, the graphics were finally passable, and the games were a tossup between ports, re-releases, and originals.