IGNORED

Epyx 500XJ

Ze_ro

What's the feeling towards this joystick around here? I picked up one a while ago because it looked nice, it felt nice in my hands, and the clicking of the stick felt satisfying in some way. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I thought it was... somehow the "resistance" that the clicks gave didn't work well in practise, and I have trouble hitting diagonals quickly in games like Front Line.

So, I'm back to the Coleco Gemsticks that I had in the first place... but I don't plan on getting rid of the 500XJ anytime soon.

--Zero

I can't believe no one else has responded to your query. I happen to love the 500XJ joysticks since they're built very well and the microswitches should last a very long time. Certainly they'll last longer than the normal 2600 joysticks, especially if you play a lot of Decathlon. I also think they're pretty comfortable, but I'm sure there are people who hate them.

I don't remember having problems with diagonals, I'll have to dig one of these out of my storage unit and give it a whirl..

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I don't remember having problems with diagonals, I'll have to dig one of these out of my storage unit and give it a whirl..

I didn't think this would be a problem either, but while I was testing it with different games, I tried playing Front Line. Well, the guy moves and shoots... everything seems fine, so I start playing the game normally. My usual strategy is to lead the guys into the open while staying in a blind spot (usually moving away from them to lead them), and then turn around fast and shoot them. However, when I try this with the 500XJ, I very often seem to only get up and no right (I seem to use this strategy in the same direction all the time)... which means I miss, and then get shot real fast.

Now, for games that don't require fast reflexes like this, the 500XJ is probably great... but my Gemsticks seem to have an easier response to them, though I never liked how you can't "feel" the contact when you hit a direction (I didn't like this with the Atari joysticks either).

... Ah, if only they still sold Slik Stik's... those were the best...

--Zero

30 wow thats alot

i have 8 original atari joys.(2 are new in the box still & 2 are from sears)

2 gemstiks (1 is in bad shape)

2 wico Boss (1 brand new in box)

2 epyx 500 xj

1 mindscape powerplayer

1 slik stik

i use the slik stik all the time cause its alot stronger and i want to save my originals for as long as i can

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

yeah. at least now i know who gets all the good stuff from value village whenever I've gone.

ROFL i havent been looking for games for about 6 months or so at thrift stores

but i went to 5 different places this weekend and found nothing not even a combat cart or any kind of cart for that matter , but i did find a computer and i left it there cause im done with computers

if ya want to take a look at it , its at the salvation thrift store on outer drive

Kevin there knows me by face, and generally gives me good conversations and stuff. He has quite a substantial atari collection, ya know. That was also the place I found strider 2 for genesis. The place down a little bit from there sells alot of NES games at good prices for most, and is worth checking out whenever I go.

I think that place that has the NES games bought them all from Kevin thats what he told me 2 weeks ago and is called "Game Over" is run by charlie (big black guy) and hes really cool as well, hes getting me a TG-16 game called world court tennis that ive been looking forever for

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

What's the feeling towards this joystick around here? I picked up one a while ago because it looked nice, it felt nice in my hands, and the clicking of the stick felt satisfying in some way. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I thought it was... somehow the "resistance" that the clicks gave didn't work well in practise, and I have trouble hitting diagonals quickly in games like Front Line.

So, I'm back to the Coleco Gemsticks that I had in the first place... but I don't plan on getting rid of the 500XJ anytime soon.

--Zero

I've had one of these joysticks for 15 years and it still works like the day I bought it! Microswitches rock. Clickety-clickety...

You take your left foot out...

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

--Zero

My question is what happened to ZE_RO???

does anyone know?

I've got two Epyx 'clickety clicks' in storage, the clicking drives me nuts! Out of my aprox 40 different controllers: On my Ataris (2600/7800/ST) and C128 I prefer the original Quickshot, (Quickshot II was awfull, it clicked too and only had a thumb-mounted fire-button, most of the ones I had broke pretty easily. Number 2 would be the original atari controllers. I also like the original SMS gamepad, but some games (Starmaster for example) are absolutley impossible to play with a pad.

My vote: Quickshot rules!