IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 22: Centipede

Ze_ro

Which is quite amazing, because it breaks a personal record that has been held since May 6 2002 of 170,917. I played 4 games and each game the score got higher. I *think* if I long enough hours this week, I might be able to roll the score. But that is a LONG shot.

LOVE Centipede. :) :) :)

Oh, and a few years back I wrote a complete strategy guide to Centipede. Below is an excerpt and attached is the entire file. :)

Tip: Keep the bottom area of the screen clean. The more mushrooms you allow to accumulate here, the more trouble you will have when the Centipede gets down there. Shoot them away every chance you get.

Tip: Build an aisle down the center of the screen. This can be accomplished by keeping your square near the center when the first few Centipedes appear. As you shoot the Centipede segments, they will leave behind mushrooms in a zigzag pattern forming a channel. Once this is done, the Centipedes will start following this path right into your line of fire. You can clear whole Centipedes in seconds this way.

Tip: Never let a segment get to the bottom of the screen. If it does, it will start to make its way back up and new segments will appear. This will be real bad news in higher levels.

Tip: Stay low! Even though you can move up one-third of the screen, it is often safer to stay low, that way you don’t get any nasty surprises from below!

Tip: Keep the sides clear of mushrooms. Segments can sneak down the side before you know it if there are too many mushrooms there. The more you can keep the mushrooms in the center of the screen the safer you will be.

Tip: Extra lives come pretty easily, but do not take them for granted. They can be lost just as easily and then you will find yourself in trouble.

Spider Tips:

Tip: The Spider is your friend. Do not shoot him until you have to and only then when he is close to the bottom of the screen (900 pts beats 300 any day). Sure, keeping him alive is dangerous because he will try to squish you, but having him around can be advantageous. As the Spider hops across the garden, he will gobble up the mushrooms that accumulate close to the bottom of the screen. Keeping this area free of mushrooms is good (see above).

Tip: Stay away from the sides of the screen. The Spider can pop out and any time and then squish, it’s over.

Tip: The Spider must progress from one side of the screen to the other. He cannot back track. Keep this in mind and you can manage the screen and lower the chances of running into him.

Tip: The Spider’s movement is fairly unpredictable. He will not do what you expect him to, be on your guard.

Flea Tips:

Tip: Leave this guy alone. He always drops straight down the screen and usually moves fast! Sure he’ll leave behind a few mushrooms as he goes, but they are not worth the risk of getting hit. It may seem like a clear shot, but occasionally your shot will miss him, even if it’s point blank.

Tip: On the higher levels the Flea moves way to fast to bother with. If you hear the sound of him flying down, get out of his way fast!

Scorpion Tips:

Tip: Drop everything and SHOOT him! Do not allow him to poison any of the mushrooms. Keeping the garden free of poisoned fungus is a must.

Tip: You will hear him coming. The second you hear him, get ready to fire.

Tip: If he does manage to poison a great deal of the screen (and the garden starts to look more like Las Vegas), start shooting those poison mushrooms fast. It may even be worth it to lose a life just to clear the screen of the poison.

Centipedeguide.doc

Scorpion Tips:

Tip: Drop everything and SHOOT him! Do not allow him to poison any of the mushrooms. Keeping the garden free of poisoned fungus is a must.

Tip: You will hear him coming. The second you hear him, get ready to fire.

Tip: If he does manage to poison a great deal of the screen (and the garden starts to look more like Las Vegas), start shooting those poison mushrooms fast. It may even be worth it to lose a life just to clear the screen of the poison.

875456[/snapback]

What exactly is the problem with these?

I know they take more shots to remove once there, & I guess once they work their way down to the bottom they could get in the way, but is it really that crucial? I'm not hitting 200k yet, but I know I could hit 100K if I take the time. I have done over 100K on other systems before. I just never make that big if a deal on this. I try to kill him every time he shoots across the screen, but sometimes it's going so quickly & the other shrooms are blocking, so it's impossible.

I also feel your to lenient on the spider, maybe because you're a Spider-Man freak :P You are right, when he's on screen, he won't re-enter out from the side, only once he's been shoot, or once he drifts off the side on his own, and he doesn't back-track as you've noted, so it helps to know you are safe from him some times. But at the same time you can be earning more points by killing off as you progress in the game. I try to kill at least once per round, and sometimes try to kill 2-3 times if possible. But I do still watch out for him. Definitely need to pay him some resepect or you can end up dead very quick like.

Some good tips though, I need to work on the line down the middle thing. I just blast all over, try to kill off everything moving or not.

I admit, I shoot the Spider more often than not, but if my lower area is covered in mushrooms, I let him go to work and just avoid. Plus, the less you shoot him, the less chance he has of popping out of the side suddenly and squashing you.

Those poisoned shrooms cause the 'pede to zoom straight down at you rapidly and that is a quick way to get killed if you are not quick enough to shoot it down or get out of the way. The more poison, the harder it is to keep the 'pede off the lower areas and out of your way. :) :) :)

I kill the spider quite frequently just to stop the irritating noise it makes. As for the scorpion - while I'd love to kill it, I rarely can. A lot of my game time is spent fighting for my life as multiple centipede heads spin around my elf on the bottom of the screen. I'm getting much better at that part of the game, and I don't see how it can be avoided when a dozen shrooms or more have been poisoned. Most of the hints have really helped me out, though.

I have a few more that may be completely obvious. I'm not a huge Centipede fan, so they're new to me.

1. The mushroom layout is always the same at the beginning of the game. I zoom over to the left and shoot those low ones right away.

2. The elf can move through mushrooms. I actually found myself moving around them sometimes as if they were obstacles; they're not.

3. If you've successfully created one of those glorious "tunnels" that the centipede falls through, it helps to move as high as you can to shoot the 'pede on a new wave. Your shots have less distance to travel that way, and you can kill the whole thing quite quickly (or most of it).

4. When everything flies down to the bottom of the screen because of poisoned mushrooms, fret not! Just stay on the bottom and avoid the segments as they fall. You'll be able to pick them off soon enough because they're all moving UP while you get to stay on the bottom.

Despite all that, I'll consider it a minor miracle if I pass 100,000.

Pet peeve: given the limitations of the 2600, I understand that the centipede segments must "disappear" from time to time. I just hate the fact that my shots go *through* the darn things without hitting them. Are they warping in and out of some other dimension?!

I'm getting into it, though. The fast pace is addictive.

Edited by xeex