Mastertronic's Colony

Wrathchild

Hi,

IIRC - the verdict on this one is that the game is crippled

due to a bug in which the game crashes soon after some

specific actions. I find this is done after ordering some batteries

and once picked up, the top of the display corrupts and

eventually the game locks up. I take it that Mastertronic

also never released a 'fixed' version of this game?

I've run through what's going on and here's the run-down.

This is from my own cassette to disk conversion and the

com-file found at AtariMania - both have this problem.

The data loaded between addresses $8600 and $87FF is

actual source code rather than the game data required.

Luckily the data in this area should be the graphics images

used for some items. Therefore if it can be worked out

what they should be then an artist could supply these bitmaps.

Also, a scan through the memory of another release of the game

(e.g. C64 version) could result in finding the same data patterns

and so lifting the correct 2 pages of data from that may work.

The crash occurs simply because a request to draw a specific

image is made, this image's X/Y dimensions aren't correct and

so the resulting drawn bitmap can overrun and blat memory

it shouldn't. I kinda enjoy this game - so it would be nice to

have a working version. Anyone else agree?

Regards,

Mark

post-1822-1118790390_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 1

That would be great! I know Universal Hero had a nasty bug as well but it was fixed by some Czech or Polish crackers...

;) One of mine as well I believe. A patch I made during my uni days was sent to Jindroush who did the work integrating and validating it as an image - but I'm sure that a few others had fixed the problem too. The bug was that the computer did not accept any password so you couldn't proceed further into the game.

You can get the ATR at: http://www.mkeates.force9.co.uk/uh_good.atr

Back to Colony... even after patching up the bitmap sizes,

a crash still occurs, so further debugging will be required. :(

The effective monitor changes were:

c 863A 10 02

c 865C 10 02

c 867E 10 02

c 86A0 10 02

c 86C2 10 02

c 86E4 10 02

c 8706 10 02

c 8728 10 02

c 874A 10 02

c 876C 10 02

c 878E 10 02

c 87B0 10 02

c 87D2 10 02

c 87F4 10 02

Therefore I think all of these images relate to the smaller

inventory icons used in the 4 boxes top/centre.

A patched com-file is attached.

Regards,

Mark

Colony.zip

Edited by Wrathchild

Can I ask you guys, where exactly is THAT bug in Uversal Hero game?

F.

874710[/snapback]

Check the map @ http://mapy.atari8.info/s-z/universalhero.png

You need the disk and take it to the Atari computer and use it (IIRC)

You're then prompted to enter the password (from the ID card ;))

The bug stopped the correct response being accepted.

Mark

Can I ask you guys, where exactly is THAT bug in Uversal Hero game?

F.

874710[/snapback]

Check the map @ http://mapy.atari8.info/s-z/universalhero.png

You need the disk and take it to the Atari computer and use it (IIRC)

You're then prompted to enter the password (from the ID card ;))

The bug stopped the correct response being accepted.

Mark

874782[/snapback]

Thanx for info. I never played this game. But I had to check version uploaded to my site (it was converted from Turbo 2000 tape) and you're right, there was a bug. So I uploded your version instead of it...

F.

Back to Colony... even after patching up the bitmap sizes,

a crash still occurs, so further debugging will be required. :(

Another (the last I think) bitmap did not have a header.

Therefore this can be patched with: c 9f9e 20 03

Now the game continues but, oddly, bits of land keep randomly

adding themselves to the map?! So some other form of memory

corruption is taking place - maybe by the droid I had set loose?

It maybe worthwhile reverse engineering the C64 version

for comparison - I haven't seen reports of that one crashing?

Regards,

Mark

It does make you wonder what Mastertronic's QA department was like. :ponder: Never came across the bug in Colony myself - probably because I didn't like it enough to play it. Universal Hero seemed a promising game until I hit that particular brick wall.

I suppose the term 'you get what you pay for' has never been truer.

Well,

afaik the bug in Colony only appears if you 1) order new items and 2) switch on the beacon. You can avoid the bug by not ordering any new items (which would be stupid) and of course by NOT SWITCHIN ON the beacon. When the items arrive then, there is one dis-advantage: you will not find the items at the landing space, instead they are "thrown" all around the colony (some are even out of reach, meaning beyond the colony borders).

But as said before, there is no graphic bug then. You have to search around the colony for the items (and some are out of reach), but they can be taken then without any graphic bug to appear... or maybe the gr. bug appears only with some items (items I did not order or items I have not found or items that were out of reach)... ok, this tip does not solve the mentioned bug, but it informs you how to avoid it somehow... until you find a better solution of course... -Andreas.

It does make you wonder what Mastertronic's QA department was like. 

I doubt they really had one. Mastertronics specialized in low cost (not necessarily bad or poor), low retail price, software.

I've seen ST Mastertronics originals with the source code in the back side of the disk (not complete, because the front side was overwritten with the game). This likely means:

1) The developer had no hard disk, he used floppies. Obvious signs of a young (low cost) programmer.

2) Nobody at Mastertronics checked the disk content before sending it to duplication.

• Like 2

Afaik,

even more Mastertronic games did have (and still do have) a bug:

Rockford: level 9 is not solvable, you have to collect more diamonds than there are available...

One man and his droid (not sure about that game): if I remember correctly, this game (or another one) had 25 levels, each with a password; the last or pre-last level could not be solved... (have to read my tipster texts again to check it out)...

Amaurote: great gfx and sfx, but in my eyes awful to play and impossible to finish. I once played it with infinite lives (no collision detection) and still needed 15-30 minutes to end one level. alas, the game has 25 levels, no passwords, no save options. Thus you have to play the whole game in one go - and with the standard number of lives (3) this is absolutely impossible... besides, the "jumping" bombs make it almost impossible to target and kill the insects... I have asked often, if anyone ever finished this game, no-one did and I doubt anyone ever will (especially with the standard number of lives)...

Novagen:

- Second City (sequel to Mercenary): There is a room which contains a triangle key, it is the only room which does. Alas, the only door leading to this room is locked and to unlock it, one requires the triangle key, which is simply impossible...

(or maybe a Lucasfilm gag)... anyways, the game has to be patched, so the door can be opened with any other key and the triangle key can be taken...

- Andreas.

Afaik,

even more Mastertronic games did have (and still do have) a bug:

Rockford: level 9 is not solvable, you have to collect more diamonds than there are available...

One man and his droid (not sure about that game): if I remember correctly, this game (or another one) had 25 levels, each with a password; the last or pre-last level could not be solved...  (have to read my tipster texts again to check it out)...

Amaurote: great gfx and sfx, but in my eyes awful to play and impossible to finish. I once played it with infinite lives (no collision detection) and still needed 15-30 minutes to end one level. alas, the game has 25 levels, no passwords, no save options. Thus you have to play the whole game in one go - and with the standard number of lives (3) this is absolutely impossible...  besides, the "jumping" bombs make it almost impossible to target and kill the insects...  I have asked often, if anyone ever finished this game, no-one did and I doubt anyone ever will (especially with the standard number of lives)...

Novagen:

- Second City (sequel to Mercenary): There is a room which contains a triangle key, it is the only room which does. Alas, the only door leading to this room is locked and to unlock it, one requires the triangle key, which is simply impossible...

(or maybe a Lucasfilm gag)... anyways, the game has to be patched, so the door can be opened with any other key and the triangle key can be taken...

- Andreas.

875130[/snapback]

Re: the uni hero bug... I seem to remember it was more to do with the fact that you needed a printer enabled at the same time that you were playing the game (something to do with the fact that the a8 version was ported from the 64)

Never heard of this 'colony' bug

I do recall hearing that the a8 version of rockford (mastertronic) is also bugged

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that mastertronic are still with us today (they did the PC re release of tomb raider, angel of darkness), i beleive they are now owned by sold out sales/marketing, previously owned by virgin (mr branson's crowd) and that mastertronic were the first euro/uk importers of sega master system... shows how old i am

Novagen:

875130[/snapback]

No, you are wrong here. The room with the triangle key is not needed to solve the game, it is a cheat room. You need the lockpick cheat to enter it: Try to fly in the dominion dart at almost the same speed as the missiles you fire, then get close to a fired missile and pick it up. After that, you can go to the crash site and pick up your crashed space ship. Now you can enter any door without a key.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Novagen:

The game doesn't need to be patched. You can easily get the triangle key with the lockpick.

• Like 1

"Good grief" as Charlie Brown would say... that long already :sad:

What I'll do then is get the disassembly out of IDAPro and into a

state where the binary can be rebuilt, then I can release that to

whoever wants to have a bash at seeing if it can be made to work.

(so long as I don't stumble across the answer whilst doing this :D)

Mark

I've spent this evening re-working the IDAPro export

into something that builds an executable which can then

be played and so I've posted the resulting sources into

the A8-programming thread area so that development

discussions can be continued there. Any progress builds

will most probably be posted onto this thread too.

There was one other patch for the graphics that I'd

missed originally and so this has be included too:

c 8618 10 02

Attached is the resulting executable from the first rebuild.

Here's the link for the new thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113289

It maybe also worthwhile setting up a bug-tracker here on

the AA boards to keep track of issues, I can look into that later.

Regards,

Mark

colony_rebuild_1.zip