IGNORED

5200 dimensions

Spector

Will measure one of my 5200s tomorrow for you. But certainly the 5200 is the biggest (in terms of size) home gaming console ever produced. Can anyone prove otherwise?? Computers excluded, of course. Otherwise I'd have to give the title to the TI 99/4a with Expansion Box....

Edited by hookem

Well, I'm fairly certain it's the BIGGEST system I've ever owned, and I was surprised a few years back when I open the Xbox and plopped in on top of my VCR. I thought that was humongous, until I looked at the Big Sexy..everything else seems dwarfed by comparisson!

I have a small desk set up in my gaming room..TV (small) in the middle, VCS system on the left, and the 5200 on the right. The real attention grabber when you walk into the room is the 5200. There's no other system that says, "Play me!" like it does. lol

Steve

It's basically an 8-bit computer with added joystick holders. Very cool looking and huge. It's definately large and in charge. The cool thing about the Big Black Beast is that it doubles as a survival raft. If things ever go waterworld on us (the movie, not the game) You can fload around in sleek, '80s comfort on your Island of Atari. Just don't plug it in at the same time. :P

It's 13" x 15", and 4.25" tall. Sounds small when I actually look at the measurements, but it just has that "big" look. Probably because the cart port is larger, the joystick plugs are bigger.

Kinda reminds me of two of these parked side by side:

post-7018-1119919936_thumb.jpg

There's no other system that says, "Play me!" like it does. lol

Steve

881150[/snapback]

Actually, what I think it's saying is: "I'm gonna eat your 2600!" :D

To my knowledge the 5200 is the biggest in terms of length and width, but I think the Game Cube takes the height catagory.

Colecovision is pretty close in size, as is the X-Box, which to my knowledge takes the cake on heaviest console system.

Actually, I think the x-box is bigger than the 5200 if you think 3 dimensionally instead of 2 dimensionally, that is. If you average the hight of the 5200 (tallest point + shortest point divided by two) I'll bet it comes in lower than the x-box's pretty leveled out height. And then you take the average height x the width x the length, and I'll bet the x-box is bigger.

But either way... keep your 5200 away from your 2600! :)

There's no other system that says, "Play me!" like it does. lol

Steve

881150[/snapback]

Actually, what I think it's saying is: "I'm gonna eat your 2600!" :D

To my knowledge the 5200 is the biggest in terms of length and width, but I think the Game Cube takes the height catagory.

I looked the #s up once, and a NeoGeo home unit is almost EXACTLY the same dimensions.

A Sega Frankenstien... err, Genesis with upgrades gives the 5200 a good run for its money.

My Gen1+SCD2 is wider than my 5200. And the Power Base Converrter on top of it gives it a height advantage(as a 32x would if I had one).

Not as deep, though. And the case doesn't do a lot to increase the dominance.

• 7 years later...

Hey guys....I did a quick search (both on AA and general web) and didn't see anything that really helped, so I'm hoping someone here may be able to. Didn't see the need to start a new thread yet though :)

Anyway, I have a CIB 5200 up FT/FS in the Marketplace. I'm getting a lot of questions about shipping costs, however right now I can't really run any kind of estimate because I don't have the console's boxed weight and dimensions. I'd check myself but right now the unit is packed away and if I can save the trouble of unpacking it I'd like to.

Does anyone happen to have easy access to this information? Specifically, what a 5200 system in its original box would weigh and what the box's LxWxH measurements are?

• 4 years later...

The 5200 is a work of ART.

It's sleek look and black and silver styling is just made to display in your living room with your new ultra modern large screen HDTV!

Considering the size of modern TV screens, the Atari 5200 will look rather small in comparison. It's the perfect time for it's return.

Atari-5200-4-Port-Console-FR.jpg

• Like 3

I remember going from the 2600 to the 5200 and thinking, "Man, these carts are big! That must be so they can do all this advanced graphics and stuff."

Then I got an Atari 400 and some of the boxed games. Of course, the boxes for those games were way larger than the 2600/5200 boxes. So I'm thinking, "Wow, these cartridges are going to be huge!!" Then I get it home, open the box, and there's this tiny little cartridge in there.

Me, at the time: :?

From a strictly design/aesthetics point of view the size balance "looks good" though. I could not imagine a puny cartridge in the 5200 looking all that great.

Right now I'm imagining a modded 5200 with an Atari Max cartridge installed internally and the teeny tiny nub of SD card sticking up...

...naww... that does absolutely nothing for me!