IGNORED

Compiling lists of Atari, Corp. (re-release) label variants

Christophero Sly

I've scanned and uploaded all my black label re-releases except for Circus Atari. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. I've also updated the black label list with a column for checking off which carts appear in the gallery. If you can add any scans or photos of variants not already in the gallery, I'd very much appreciate it. :)

Edited by Christophero Sly

I've scanned and uploaded all my black label re-releases except for Circus Atari.  It didn't take as long as I thought it would.  I've also updated the black label list with a column for checking off which carts appear in the gallery.  If you can add any scans or photos of variants not already in the gallery, I'd very much appreciate it. :)

Here is the updated list.

963506[/snapback]

You can find a lot of scans of my carts (also the label variations) on my website at Xenophobe. I can also check the list for what you are still missing, but this will take some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to take down the albums of re-release label scans in the Gallery. The forum software doesn't allow me to organize the scans within individual albums. Consequently, the albums are cluttered and not particularly useful. I don't want to spend time adding more scans if the albums aren't orderly, useable references. I'd like to find some way to maintain a database of visual references for the re-release labels, but, at this point, I'm not sure how to do so.

• 2 months later...

I've posted the latest revisions to these lists on page 1, mostly red and gray label PAL carts. I also made some minor formating changes and fixed a few mistakes. You'll notice that I've abandoned the "1.x" version formating. It was a confusing mess, I'm sure. I've substituted a date code. I've also added the date of last revision to the header of each list. I think this will work better for keeping track of the latest revisions.

As always, please post any label additions you have or any suggestions.

Oh, and now that there are hundreds of NTSC copies of Ikari Warriors out there, can someone please post the label scans. :) Thanks.

How about a 1986 PAL Obelix?

Yup, don't have a entry for that one. Thanks for the scan. I'll get it added to the list.

I don't know if the 1985 PAL Outlaw mentioned in this thread was ever posted or not, so here it is.
The PAL label appears to be identical to the NTSC label on this one. Thanks for the scan. All I've been able to see previously of '85 Outlaws were some poor quality ebay photos.

Notice how it kept the "label, program & audiovisual" text that is, to my knowledge, absent from all other black Atari Corp re-releases.
Actually, the '85 Berzerk is like that and I think the '85 Yars' Revenge is too. I don't know about the '85 PAL Video Pinball.

Great stuff! Thanks for the scans. :)

Actually, the '85 Berzerk is like that and I think the '85 Yars' Revenge is too.  I don't know about the '85 PAL Video Pinball.

1023125[/snapback]

Ah, see - I should pay closer attention! :)

1023128[/snapback]

I don't know if that's possible. You must already have the eyes of an Osprey to find the things you find. :D

My PAL 1985 Yar's Revenge has the " Label, Program and Audiovisual" wording.

post-99-1140797197_thumb.jpg

My PAL 1985 Video Pinball does not have this wording.

post-99-1140797362_thumb.jpg

I have a PAL 1986 Yar's Revenge with the " Label, Program and Audiovisual" wording.

post-99-1140797265_thumb.jpg

I also have a PAL 1986 Yar's Revenge and a Pal 1987 Yar's Revenge without this wording.

post-99-1140797947_thumb.jpg

post-99-1140797996_thumb.jpg

My PAL 1985 Yar's Revenge has the " Label, Program and Audiovisual" wording.

My PAL 1985 Video Pinball does not have this wording.

I have a PAL 1986 Yar's Revenge with the " Label, Program and Audiovisual" wording.

I also have a PAL 1986 Yar's Revenge and a Pal 1987 Yar's Revenge without this wording. 

I'll make note of these distinctions on the list. Thanks for the info.

BTW, the '87 PAL Yars' Revenge and the '86 with the '85-style copyright line amount to new entries on the list. I don't want to put you to any trouble, but is it possible that have other variations that are still missing from the lists?

I think it's the case that the '85 re-releases preserve the original formating of the copyright line, generally--"Label, Program & Audiovisual ©... ". In the case of Video Pinball, the original formating reads "Program Contents ©... ". However, this is only on the lowercase label. The upper case label reads "Label, Program & Audiovisual ©... " like Yars' Revenge and most of the original release labels. Warlords, Asteroids, and lowercase Missile Command also read "Program Contents ©... " on their original labels.

The '86 Yars' Revenge with the "Label, Program & Audiovisual ©... " represents a previously unknown (to me, at least) variant. I've been assuming that there wouldn't be any inter-year variation in the copyright lines. However, this new Yars' Revenge makes it clear that was an invalid assumption. I need to double check the rest of the '86 PAL labels and find out if there are any others that preserve the formating of the original labels.

There seems to be no end to re-release variations. :D