IGNORED

Atari 2600 BASIC IDE

attendo

I'll play around with it and see if I can document the exact circumstances that can cause it to occur, to help Jacco get it fixed.

938850[/snapback]

Thanks. That would be very helpful. Lately I have been using Save As then reloading what I saved to protect myself from further loss until the IDE is fixed. I hope we can also get Save As fixed. Save As should always give you a conventional "are you sure" if you try to save on top of an existing file.

938855[/snapback]

AFAIK, "Save As" works okay every time, it's "Save" that can be a problem as far as overwriting the "wrong" or unintended file (AFAIK, the most-recently-used file). So there should be no reason to "Save As" and then re-"Open" the same file.

Michael Rideout

AFAIK, "Save As" works okay every time, it's "Save" that can be a problem as far as overwriting the "wrong" or unintended file (AFAIK, the most-recently-used file).

That's right, but on another subject, 'Save As' does not work like it does with every other program I have ever used. Take any program from lowly Notepad on up and select Save As. Click on one of the files in the folder and then try to save. You will get a pop up warning asking if you really want to replace it. I thought that was built into Windows, but I guess not. The programmer of the software must have to include it. That warning does not come up with the IDE.

So there should be no reason to "Save As" and then re-"Open" the same file.

There is a reason to reload it and that's for safety. I often use Save out of habit. With the IDE, 'Save' saves to the last loaded file no matter how many times you have used 'Save As', so if you reload your last 'Save As' you won't have to worry about mistakenly saving over an older version of your program. After the IDE is fixed and working like every other program I have ever used, then we won't have to worry.

Oh yeah, and until we can trust the IDE more, I have started saving important 'milestone' copies of my program using Notepad. I just added a turbo boost to my 'maze' program and smoothed out the movement some more, so I don't want to lose that.

• 8 months later...

I really like this program and I use it every day, you did a great job with it. It makes programming with bB so much faster and a lot less frustrating.

Any chance of a variable-height sprite editor? I like the sprite editor but a lot of the time I use sprites the whole height of the screen and it is really tedious to create little chunks at a time.

Also, bB now supports the playfield: command so the playfield editor is kind of obsolete. An updated one that outputs playfield: tables would be extremely useful though.

Will there be another release or was 4 the final?

I really like this program and I use it every day, you did a great job with it. It makes programming with bB so much faster and a lot less frustrating.

Any chance of a variable-height sprite editor? I like the sprite editor but a lot of the time I use sprites the whole height of the screen and it is really tedious to create little chunks at a time.

Also, bB now supports the playfield: command so the playfield editor is kind of obsolete. An updated one that outputs playfield: tables would be extremely useful though.

Will there be another release or was 4 the final?

its a nice tool. unfortuanately. i can't use the environment, because with large sourcecodes it tends to hang/lockup (my guess is >1500 likes, which is about 64kb in text? so i'm stuck to notepad and cmd-line, which works okay for me i guess.