Photo

Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system?

121 replies to this topic

Poll: Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system? (417 member(s) have cast votes)

Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system?

1. Yes. I got it back in the day. (215 votes [51.56%])

Percentage of vote: 51.56%

2. Yes. I got it much later, though. (26 votes [6.24%])

Percentage of vote: 6.24%

3. No. I had a different system back in the day. (83 votes [19.90%])

Percentage of vote: 19.90%

4. No. My first system was from a later generation. (83 votes [19.90%])

Percentage of vote: 19.90%

5. No. I have still never owned one. (10 votes [2.40%])

Percentage of vote: 2.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 otaku OFFLINE  

otaku

Moonsweeper

• 497 posts

Posted Thu May 9, 2013 2:38 PM

first one was a n64 for xmas in 96 my parents bought for my bro and I we had played older systems like the nes and super nes and sega genesis at cousins houses

#102 Ripdubski OFFLINE  

Ripdubski

Dragonstomper

• 651 posts

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 PM

Well, VCS heavy sixer, it was 2nd, but first "system" since i wouldnt call Pong a system, which we had first like in 76.

Edited by Ripdubski, Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:31 PM.

#103 dr. kwack OFFLINE  

dr. kwack

Moonsweeper

• 370 posts

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:50 PM

Intellivision was my first and I still have it today. Started collecting Atari games back in high school circa 1991.

#104 Lynxer2007 OFFLINE  

Lynxer2007

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 PM

Nope, my first game system was the NES. I didn't get a 2600 until years down the road.

#105 TheGameCollector OFFLINE  

TheGameCollector

Stargunner

• 1,019 posts

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:02 AM

Before I had an Atari 2600 (of which my first was a full rainbow Jr. model), I had Genesis, NES, SNES, Game Boy Pocket, and Nintendo 64. I technically had the Playstation next before the Atari, but at that point in time I was only borrowing it.

The cardboard box containing the Atari 2600 was like a treasure trove because it contained 41 different games plus a few doubles. And I think about half had their manuals so I had some fun reading experiences too. The first game I tried on it was Donkey Kong because I wanted to see what it looked like before graphics were upgraded.

#106 atariLBC OFFLINE  

atariLBC

Moonsweeper

• 299 posts

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:28 PM

My first system was Coleco's 2600 clone - the Gemini. My parents picked it up in 1983; I was 6. Mine came packed with Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. As a child I preferred the small form factor and slender combo controllers of the Gemini to that of the VCS/2600. It and all of my original 2600 games were lost years ago. I've nearly got all of my old carts back and I would love to get a CIB Gemini into the collection.

#107 mitchd61 OFFLINE  

mitchd61

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 PM

My first system was Intellivision, but I bought my first Atari 2600 just three weeks later.  I couldn't afford to buy both at the same time.  ;-)

#108 OBO OFFLINE  

OBO

Moonsweeper

• 449 posts

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 PM

Yes, it was my first video game console.

I think we got it early, like 1981 or 1982.

My dad bought it... I think more for him than for me, I was 4 in 1981 !

My first video game souvenir is a car racing game. Until now I thought it was Pole Position, but now I think it was Enduro.

#109 Deteacher OFFLINE  

Deteacher

River Patroller

• 2,855 posts

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 PM

I can't vote for any of the choices.  I had a Sears "Super Pong" unit before I got the Atari in 1978.  Still have it, to this day and it will go into the ground with me...box and all.  :)

#110 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 8,518 posts

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:04 PM

Not counting pong systems, yes. If you count pong, the first was a coleco telstar ranger.

#111 famicommander OFFLINE  

famicommander

Dragonstomper

• 711 posts
  • Jukebox Hero

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014 12:18 AM

Sort of.

By the time I started playing games in 1992-1993 my family already owned a 2600, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Genesis. I was more or less raised with all of the systems. Both my parents are what you might call casual gamers. My mom loves stuff like Mario, Centipede, Bejeweled, Angry Birds, and Sonic. My dad didn't play games as often as my mom but he did get farther into the ones he played; he enjoyed Defender, Missile Command, Tetris, Diablo II, and Age of Empires II.

I also had two older brothers and a grandmother that were into gaming. Grandma was the only one in the family with a Super Nintendo until I got one myself in the late 1990s.

So, again, I was raised with access to at least five systems. I couldn't honestly tell you which one I played first because I don't remember. The first one that was MY system and not a hand me down was the SEGA Saturn, though. I got the bundle package with Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and the racing wheel for Christmas.

#112 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Moonsweeper

• 376 posts

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014 8:38 AM

Sort of.
By the time I started playing games in 1992-1993 my family already owned a 2600, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Genesis. I was more or less raised with all of the systems. Both my parents are what you might call casual gamers. My mom loves stuff like Mario, Centipede, Bejeweled, Angry Birds, and Sonic. My dad didn't play games as often as my mom but he did get farther into the ones he played; he enjoyed Defender, Missile Command, Tetris, Diablo II, and Age of Empires II.
I also had two older brothers and a grandmother that were into gaming. Grandma was the only one in the family with a Super Nintendo until I got one myself in the late 1990s.

So, again, I was raised with access to at least five systems. I couldn't honestly tell you which one I played first because I don't remember. The first one that was MY system and not a hand me down was the SEGA Saturn, though. I got the bundle package with Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and the racing wheel for Christmas.

Sounds like the best childhood I could imagine. You are a lucky person!

#113 R.Bear OFFLINE  

R.Bear

Chopper Commander

• 133 posts
  • SEGA Mega Drive fan

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014 9:01 AM

My first console was either the Master System or the Mega Drive, I honestly don't remember which as my family got hold of them both at around the same time.

I did get a 2600 a bit later on though and enjoyed it a lot.

#114 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,819 posts

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014 9:28 AM

I guess a finer point is what constitutes a "first" system?  I mean, I first played the stand alone pong units as a young kid,  The first game system I personally owned was a Nintendo.

#115 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Moonsweeper

• 376 posts

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014 7:09 PM

First one was the nes I got for Christmas in 1987

#116 rivercityrandom OFFLINE  

rivercityrandom

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:18 PM

My first video game console was a 2600jr that I got for Christmas from my parents back in 1987. I was eight years old. They got me three games to start with: Jr. Pac-Man, Haunted House, and 3-D Tic Tac Toe. I loved the heck out of Jr. Pac-Man... wasn't so impressed with the others.  This was around the time that retailers were liquidating their entire stock of Atari games for pennies on the dollar, and people were selling their old carts at yard sales for literal pennies. I racked up a collection of over 100 games before I got a NES around 1992 or so. I had to sell my entire Atari collection a few years ago for rent money... it's so sad. I had such good memories playing on my Atari.

#117 flashbackmatt OFFLINE  

flashbackmatt

Star Raider

• 58 posts

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 PM

If the Aquarius counts as a video game system, then that would be my first. After that, I got a ColecoVision. I didn't get my first 2600 until this year.

#118 Bixler OFFLINE  

Bixler

Chopper Commander

• 232 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:12 PM

My first console was a PS3, but I had been playing video games at friends' houses since the N64/PS1.

I'm pretty young for these boards. :ponder:

#119 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

Atardid

• 13,071 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:48 PM

Got a Vader for Xmas in '84

#120 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 2,755 posts

Posted Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 PM

Woody in '80...Thanks to Dad.  It's the first game console I (we) owned.  

Played on a Pong device at my grandmother's place prior to that.

First Arcade game experience I recall...Pac-Man at the Egg-Cream shop in our neighborhood...Either Fall of '80 or Spring of '81...Not sure.

#121 yarjr OFFLINE  

yarjr

Chopper Commander

• 198 posts

Posted Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 PM

Nope. My first system was the Sega Genesis followed close behind by the Gameboy Original.

#122 BalloonFighter OFFLINE  

BalloonFighter

Star Raider

• 60 posts

Posted Mon Aug 4, 2014 10:38 AM

The 2600 was released at least 20 years before I was born. I think my first system was a Game Boy Advance. I only had a few games for it and rarely played it. I've lost mine since then, but my sisters still have theirs, which they ended up giving to me for the collection. We also had (and still have) a "fat" PS2, but all I remember using it for was to play DVD's.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users