IGNORED

Namco Ms Pac II - the best TV game yet?

remowilliams

After playing with this thing for a while - I've got to give it the award for best retro TV game yet. The arcade ports all seem nice, it's well built, control is excellent (the PP twist in particular) and it's wireless. How many of ya out there got one? Or was everyone turned off by Namco I?

I got the wired Ms. Pac stick, which is quite nice (the Pac-Man stick, which is just OK). A bit hard to justify buying it again at an inflated price just for the wireless gimmick, especially since the closest thing to a new game on there is New Rally X.

I got the wired Ms. Pac stick, which is quite nice (the Pac-Man stick, which is just OK). A bit hard to justify buying it again at an inflated price just for the wireless gimmick, especially since the closest thing to a new game on there is New Rally X.

890804[/snapback]

Supposedly (at least w/ the descriptions I've read about it), it also has 8 way control in Bosconian, and a 4 direction setting for the joystick so you can get better control in Ms. Pacman. Sounds kinda cool to me... although I too balk at the price :)

Surely this is a joke!...unless they "re-released" the Ms Pac Man Namco stick which was available last Christmas, I warn people to stay away.

I have them both; now they're just paperweights on the shelf. While the Ms Pac isn't total crap, it's just lacking in so many areas:

Pole Position, for some reason, doesn't record best times nor does it allow you to actually finish a race, at least, the time just keeps going!...NO replay value, but the control is spot on...even the emulation lacks.

Xevious, Mappy are ok if you like these games, however, the fire button is just not up to snuff. Layout for bombing in Xevious is crap.

Galaga is fun, again, that fire button...plus, the emulation is not very accurate. Sounds suffer and the game is quite a bit easier than better quality emulations. At least the controls worked well.

Which brings me to the king of the krap: Ms Pac Man!

If you love this game at all, stay very far away from this lemon version. NOT accurate, and to add insult to injury, the joystick for some reason will reverse itself in direction whenever you try to pre-push the stick in another direction...a great tactic in Ms Pac ruined by poor emulation...didn't they playtest this thing?...I brought it back 3 times till I found one that was 'acceptable'..and even then it was too frustrating, getting high scores and then having the controller turn you into the monsters for no reason. Sob!

Our answer was simply to pick up Namco Museum for PS2, with a Soul Caliber 2 joystick. Problems solved, and these emulations are, for what I consider, very good. The only thing you can blame for poor scores is yourself!....the gameplay was flawless, even though Pole is too tough to play with a stick. Plus, the price of the stick and the game cost about as much as that crappy Namco stick. I'm sure that there is even more accurate emultion of these games, but the Museum is good enough for me.

It may seem negative for the Namco plug and plays, but it's the sad truth. Quality control on these things is non existant....they could learn from the Flashback and Flashback 2 lessons...can't wait to get mine!

Surely this is a joke!...unless they "re-released" the Ms Pac Man Namco stick which was available last Christmas, I warn people to stay away.

I have them both; now they're just paperweights on the shelf.  While the Ms Pac isn't total crap, it's just lacking in so many areas:

Pole Position, for some reason, doesn't record best times nor does it allow you to actually finish a race, at least, the time just keeps going!...NO replay value, but the control is spot on...even the emulation lacks.

891379[/snapback]

This is a "new" release - it is not the blue Ms Pac. All of the games now record high scores. Though Galaga is still not quite right.

Of course, it shouldn't have taken three attempts to get a solid product.

And yes, the Flashback 2 will immediately rule hands down as the best TV game when it's released :)

Edited by remowilliams

Contrary to the rant above, I found the original wired Namco Ms Pac stick to be excellent. It's the first and only games-in-a-controller I've bought and I absolutely love it. Of all the ones out there, I find the games in it - especially Ms Pac and Galaga - to be so close to the arcade that I can't really notice the difference. The sound and video are excellent. It is much superior to the Pac Man version, which has a barely passable version of PacMan but a woefully inadequate Dig Dug.

I highly recommend the wired Ms Pac unit.

I've got the special QVC version of the Namco Ms. Pac-Man unit. It's similar in design to the original version, but also adds Bosconian and New Rally-X and has the high score saving feature like the new version. It also has the QVC logo on the main menu. :)

I've generally been very happy with this unit. Ms. Pac-Man is still somewhat off (as most home versions have been), particularly with regard to the ghost behavior, but it's definitely one of the better conversions. I haven't had any problems with the controls on it.

My favorite of the self-contained units is still the Commodore 64 Direct-to-TV (30 games, with the original C64 programs running on an extremely close recreation of the C64 hardware), but this one ranks highly also. I'm looking forward to the release of the Flashback 2 now. :D

My favorite of the self-contained units is still the Commodore 64 Direct-to-TV (30 games, with the original C64 programs running on an extremely close recreation of the C64 hardware), but this one ranks highly also. I'm looking forward to the release of the Flashback 2 now. :D

892015[/snapback]

Ah. Forgot about that one. The subject should have been "best TV arcade game yet".

The C64 stick is a work of art. Well, not the stick itself - but it's awesome electronic insides. Actually it's sort of the inverse of the Radica Space Invaders :)

The C64 on a chip is rock solid 100% classic hardware simulation. Turned two of these bad boys into tiny little C64s. Incredible!

Contrary to the rant above, I found the original wired Namco Ms Pac stick to be excellent. It's the first and only games-in-a-controller I've bought and I absolutely love it. Of all the ones out there, I find the games in it - especially Ms Pac and Galaga - to be so close to the arcade that I can't really notice the difference. The sound and video are excellent. It is much superior to the Pac Man version, which has a barely passable version of PacMan but a woefully inadequate Dig Dug.

891836[/snapback]

Ranting I may be but I am honest as well. To all diehard gamers, save your cash, and go with the Namco Museum. But don't take my word for it; buy a wired Ms Pacman at Walmart, you can take it back no questoins asked.

Sorry there, Snoopy Guy, but if you thinkthat the arcade version of Ms Pacman and this piss poor excuse for an emulation are "so close you can't notice the difference" then you're too young to remember playing it in the arcade or you're just not picking up on the glaring differences (sound, playabililty, graphics, not much*).

The Pacman stick may not have been your cup of tea, but at least Pacman moved where you wanted him to, joystick wasn't an issue. Some folks just don't like Digdug...you're one of them.

Unless they really did an overhaul for the wireless (which I'll have to buy now just for collectiblility), then I can't see anyone wanting to buy these who TRULY loved and appreciated the original. Proper playtesting and quality control would have saved the world this dog of a stick!

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. Bring on Flashback 2.0!

I agree with BrianR. The wired vesion of Ms PacMan is a lot of fun. I bought it on sale a couple days back at Circuit City for $10. I had low expectations for it, but the price was right. I'm 37 and played Ms PacMan a fair degree "back in the day" but hardly was an expert at the game. I think this version is great and captures a lot of what was fun about the original. The music sounds virtually the same and the gameplay is extremely close. The control is pretty decent, but not perfect. I do question exactly how long the stick will last, but for now, it's a lot fun. The other games are a blast too...especially Galaga and Xevious. They may not be spot-on accurate, but unless you have the original arcade machine handy or have been playing the MAME versions a lot in recent times, I think most people will be very happy with them.

Cheers!

Brent

p.s. The revised version of this controller sounded very appealing, but I really don't need wireless and didn't want to pay $30-$40 for it, vs. $10 for the wired version.

• 4 weeks later...

...so I bought the wireless Ms Pac just to 'complete' my namco collection...yes, the price was WRONG, B----H, but oh well.

Many things improved. I haven't dealt with the blatant control problems of the wired version in Ms Pacman...but it's still not what it 'could' be. Enough.

The 'newer' versions of Bosconian and Rally X are far superior to the first wired version...although a new DigDug coulda worked out...lol.

Pole Position control is not as good as the wired version..it seems the stick has to be rotated quite a bit further before the car turns as compared to the wired version, and thus you lose the pinpoint control of the first one...but they fixed the bug which didn't allow you to complete the race and record a time in the high score....there seems to be a mod on the difficulty of the game which was ramped up slightly.

Galaga plays ok, better on the wired, again. Xevious, no change.

Ability to save scores is a good idea, and the wireless thing ain't bad but wasn't neccessary. The unit on the whole looks just great, though, and was a big reason why I bought it...it just looks cool!

...eagerly awaiting Flashback 2.0 here in Canada..hope we don't get the sound chip problem by the 25th release date.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so both of the light blue sticks are the re released versions? The wired and wireless versions have a quality ms pac man, and the one before this everyone complains about, or if it's wired, does that mean it's the old version?

Is that wireless version any easier to hold? It looks kind of thick, but no battery wall sticking out in front. There is a wall on the front of the wired version that houses the batteries. It is as high as the joystick, and kind of annoying if you have large hands.

891836[/snapback]

Ranting I may be but I am honest as well. To all diehard gamers, save your cash, and go with the Namco Museum. But don't take my word for it; buy a wired Ms Pacman at Walmart, you can take it back no questoins asked.

Sorry there, Snoopy Guy, but if you thinkthat the arcade version of Ms Pacman and this piss poor excuse for an emulation are "so close you can't notice the difference" then you're too young to remember playing it in the arcade or you're just not picking up on the glaring differences (sound, playabililty, graphics, not much*).

The Pacman stick may not have been your cup of tea, but at least Pacman moved where you wanted him to, joystick wasn't an issue. Some folks just don't like Digdug...you're one of them.

Unless they really did an overhaul for the wireless (which I'll have to buy now just for collectiblility), then I can't see anyone wanting to buy these who TRULY loved and appreciated the original. Proper playtesting and quality control would have saved the world this dog of a stick!

892602[/snapback]

You went and made way too many assumptions about me in there.

I'm 34 and grew up with the Atari 2600 at home and games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Frogger, and Dig Dug in the arcades. I absolutely LOVE Dig Dug.

I know enough to know that on the Pac-Man stick, the sounds are way off. The sounds on Dig Dug are even worse to the point of making Dig Dug unplayable, IMO, and the entire thing not worth buying.

When I first tried out the Ms. Pac controller, yes, Ms. Pac did not go where I wanted. Then I realized I was holding the controller diagonally. Once I held the controller correctly, I never had any problems maneuvering around the maze.

Wow I'm surprised the wireless version is the improvement. The only think I like about it better is the ability to hold it in your hand, since it doesn't have that giant wall of batteries jutting out of the front (why was there a need for this? i've not seen this on any other stick).

I have more control with the wired stick on Ms PacMan than the shorter, plastic joystick on the wireless version. I guess that's different than most others' experience.

Plus the wireless takes twice as many batteries. You know about Jakks power adaptors though right? Only seven bucks and your done with batteries for these things.

I just saw it in Wal Mart by all the sticks. I'll look for a link though. It clips into the battery housing, and even has a little screw in the same place as the battery cover to lock it in. Which do you think uses more power, the wireless station or the stick itself (for which one to use the power replacemtn in)? I think the stick functions jsut like a remote control, because if you turn it off, the game still goes on if the station is still on.

I've done some side by side comparisons- at first I thought the wired version might just be easier, but I can do the "prepush" technique alot better with the wired- maybe just because of the longer metal stick. Try turning right and down right out of the gate with the wired then the wireless and you'll see what I mean.

You know about Jakks power adaptors though right?  Only seven bucks and your done with batteries for these things.

919545[/snapback]

I don't know about that. Got a link?

I *do* know about Pocket Galaga arcade. Neat!

PocketGalaga+Odie.jpg

919708[/snapback]

Man those are some little controls! Cool though. Can you play that thing very effectively... or is it property of the CAT?!

891836[/snapback]

892602[/snapback]

You went and made way too many assumptions about me in there.

I'm 34 and grew up with the Atari 2600 at home and games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Frogger, and Dig Dug in the arcades. I absolutely LOVE Dig Dug.

I know enough to know that on the Pac-Man stick, the sounds are way off. The sounds on Dig Dug are even worse to the point of making Dig Dug unplayable, IMO, and the entire thing not worth buying.

When I first tried out the Ms. Pac controller, yes, Ms. Pac did not go where I wanted. Then I realized I was holding the controller diagonally. Once I held the controller correctly, I never had any problems maneuvering around the maze.

919267[/snapback]

...hey dude, no problems...just think that you lucked out and got a half decent wired stick...the major problems were corrected in the wireless. But that emulation of Ms Pac isn't that great, in my opinion.

I still collect the Namco stix...but if I want to play a good game of those Namco games, I just play the PS2 Namco Museum.

• 5 months later...

I went by the toy isle to see if the price of the FB2 had gone down and found the wireless Ms Pacman units have gone down to $4.88. The batteries cost more than the system. :lol: Oddly, the wired systems were 15 bucks more! :? Maybe it's because of the cartridge feature?

I'd thought about picking up a few of them (for gifts), but after playing it a bit I think I'll hold off. The joystick feels decent, but often Ms Pacman will miss a corner or go the wrong way altogether. Also she seems to snag on the corners... just odd. I couldn't get Pole Position to steer, but then I didn't realize till now that there was a twist control on the controller. I'll have to give it another go. I only played it for a moment, but Galaga seems a bit slow. Mappy seems to play the best of those I've tried so far. Still, I can't complain too loud over a 5 dollar purchase.