IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 26: Quick Step

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

That nasty squirrel is at it again! He's hopping around on all the trampolines and painting them blue! This is completely unacceptable! You must paint as many of them green as you can, because this week's game is Quick Step!

Game Information

• Game Name: Quick Step
  • Released By: Imagic, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: No Effect
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: Ze_ro

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, July 19th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Keir! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif5091 (khryssun) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif4542 (the 5th ghost) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif4215 (xeex) [+9]
  4. 4015 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 3813 (Keir) [+7]
  6. 3306 (shadow460) [+6]
  7. 3094 (Albert) [+5]
  8. 2654 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 2611 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 2556 (panda_racer) [+2]
  11. 2502 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 2407 (Atarifever) [+1]
  13. 1718 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
  14. 1639 (Malc74) [+1]
  15. 1496 (scogey) [+1]
    1496 (vgcollector666) [+1]
  16. 1086 (Goochman) [+1]
  17. 722 (gospeedde) [+1]
  18. 677 (Gamemaster_ca_2003) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifKeir [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Stepmaster! - Score 4000 points or higher and get 1 bonus point!

TwinGalaxies Top 3

1. 5770 (Alan W Hewston)
  2. 2452 (Giovanni Flamand)
  3. 2400 (Lafe Travis)
Current Standings

1. StanJr [223]
  2. the 5th ghost [182]
  3. keilbaca [180]
  4. Osbo [112]
  5. SpiceWare [104]
  6. Malc74 [91]
  7. sku_u [71]
  8. vdub_bobby [70]
  9. khryssun [61]
  10. gospeedde [56]
  11. Fellow Atari Man [53]
  12. video game addict [49]
  13. KaeruYojimbo [47]
  14. LarcenTyler [46]
  15. xeex [41]
  16. Christophero Sly [41]
  17. Mad Scientist [39]
  18. Numan [39]
  19. Robert M [39]
  20. Keir [36]
  21. Cybergoth [34]
  22. Lord Thag [33]
  23. Goochman [31]
  24. racer raul [29]
  25. Blackjack [28]
  26. chrisbid [28]
  27. Philflound [27]
  28. panda_racer [26]
  29. davepesc [25]
  30. pitfallaimee [24]
  31. Dones [24]
  32. Lord Helmet [21]
  33. Dan Iacovelli [20]
  34. mikeftrevino [18]
  • scogey [17]
  • chubsta [17]
  • cyberneticimplant [15]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • cvga [13]
  • Omegamatrix [9]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Xebec's Demise [6]
  • vgcollector666 [6]
  • Luigi301 [5]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • bjk7382 [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Damon Plus [2]
  • shadow460 [2]
  • Kepone [2]
  • neotokeo2001 [1]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • bmlbytes [1]
  • moycon [1]
  • chadtower [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • internetotaku [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460

Scoring Points in Quick Step

• Claim Pink Trampoline: score 3 points.
  • Trampoline is your colour as it moves off to the bottom of the screen: score 6 points.
  • Freeze other player while you are glowing: score 10 points.
  • Land on a Gold Mat: score 7 points.
  • The surviving player earns 200 additional points for each Life they have left. If your bonus causes you to gain an extra life (see below), then you also get an additional 200 points for that life as well.
  • You earn a BONUS LIFE when your score reaches 2,000 points. The squirrel also gains an extra life if his score reaches 2,000 points! (Note: There seems to be a bug in the game that sometimes prevents this bonus life from being awarded. See the 5th ghost's tips below for some more info.)

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure. There aren't really any hints in the manual anyways, but it's worth a read so that you're familiar with the rules of the game.

When you get powered-up, try to stun the squirrel when he's on the lowest level so there will be a greater chance of him being knocked off the screen.
It's very tempting to kill that annoying little squirrel, but try to keep it alive as long as possible or else the game will end! Always freeze the squirrel on one of the higher platforms so it won't fall off the bottom. That will give you time to turn a bunch of platforms green before they leave the bottom of the screen for 6 pts each. Alternatively, if you're having difficulty staying alive yourself, kill the squirrel as quickly as possible. You earn 200 for each life you have left at the end of the game, so if you still have all 6 of your lives left that's an easy 1,200 points!
So far, here's my strategy:

Tip 1: Try to avoid freezing the Squirrel after the first level. Keep him alive as long as possible. One way to attempt to control his movement is to use your Tricky Trap. I tend to favor knocking out either of the middle trampolines. Sometimes, this causes the Squirrel to stay to the side for a moment, giving you time to capture the trampolines on the other side.

Tip 2: Try to be the first to hit each pink trampoline, you get points for being first. Don't get too caught up in keeping your trampolines green as they move off the screen. If you get them, great, but don't make it your objective. Staying alive as long as possible is the objective, don't waste a life going to the bottom to beat the Squirrel to the trampolines. Also try to jump on the orange ones first too, for extra points.

Tip 3: When you hear the sound signaling the next wave, move to the left so that you can clear the top row, left to right, the head for the ladder. Once off the ladder, hit the right trampoline and then move left to clear as many pinks as possible :)

It seems that after the first game ends, if you simply start over by pressing the fire button, the free life at 2,000 won't happen. So far, while experimenting, I found that turning the Atari OFF, then back ON after each round, seems to insure that you'll get the extra life at 2,000.

My Tips :

- Never freeze the squirrel to kill it. Try to preserve it as longer as possible.

As the I.A. of the squirrel is "limited" it will always make a fatal error alone... so as long as it lives you scores points jumping onto the red / orange platforms.

Avoid to be frozen by it and you'll finish the game with your 5 lives which will make you won you a maximum of points.

- At the end of each level, stay always lower than the squirrel on the ladder to score the green platform points : jump to the above platform always when the one you are standing on is about to disappear so you'll always increase your score easely.

- As for all luck games, if you want to have a chance to increase your score, play again, again and again... with some luck you'll finish to have a game with a less suicidal squirrel and good patterns sequences (not ones without any exit on both sides of the screen as it comes sometimes and where you can't do anything else than loosing a life !)

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

I played this once at a classic gaming meet and I found out what it was you're supposed to do. Very difficult though, but fun.

At any rate, it appears you get more points for beating the squirrel at his (her? I dunno!) own game.

One tip: When you get powered-up, try to stun the squirrel when he's on the lowest level so there will be a greater chance of him being knocked off the screen.

post-1653-1121221197_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

NICE! I love this game. (Rob, I was the one who picked Quick Step for that competition.) I'll have to pick a different game for next week though. LOL

TIP: It's very tempting to kill that annoying little squirrel, but try to keep it alive as long as possible or else the game will end! Alternatively, if you're having difficulty staying alive yourself, kill the squirrel as quickly as possible. You earn 200 for each life you have left at the end of the game, so if you still have all 6 of your lives left that's an easy 1,200 points!

Why do you no longer post the Twin Galaxies record on the HSC? If the players see that there is a low record, maybe they will submit a score to TG also. The only difference is that sometimes the HSC does not play on the setting that are tracked by TG, so they cannot be compared equally.

Ack... the most annoying part of this game is when the damn squirrel decides to trap itself, or killing itself, thus leaving you with a lower score. That ends up making this game more like a chance game really.

890959[/snapback]

Yeah, that is really annoying. It's much more fun as a 2-player game because then it's a battle for survival.

First score: 2,476

TIP (Magic Mats): Always freeze the squirrel on one of the higher platforms so it won't fall off the bottom. That will give you time to turn a bunch of platforms green before they leave the bottom of the screen for 6 pts each.

Why do you no longer post the Twin Galaxies record on the HSC?  If the players see that there is a low record, maybe they will submit a score to TG also.

I think what happened was that after the forum changed software and I had to redo my format, I accidentally forgot to put that in there... I realized it after a few weeks and didn't bother adding it back in because I was lazy, and no one seemed to be complaining. Anyways, I put it back in for this week... if there's still a demand for it, I can keep it in as a regular feature again.

--Zero

Another game that I am unfamiliar with. My first score so far is:

So far, here's my strategy:

Tip 1: Try to avoid freezing the Squirrel after the first level. Keep him alive as long as possible. One way to attempt to control his movement is to use your Tricky Trap. I tend to favor knocking out either of the middle trampolines. Sometimes, this causes the Squirrel to stay to the side for a moment, giving you time to capture the trampolines on the other side.

Tip 2: Try to be the first to hit each pink trampoline, you get points for being first. Don't get too caught up in keeping your trampolines green as they move off the screen. If you get them, great, but don't make it your objective. Staying alive as long as possible is the objective, don't waste a life going to the bottom to beat the Squirrel to the trampolines. Also try to jump on the orange ones first too, for extra points.

Tip 3: When you hear the sound signaling the next wave, move to the left so that you can clear the top row, left to right, the head for the ladder. Once off the ladder, hit the right trampoline and then move left to clear as many pinks as possible :)

post-2095-1121307790_thumb.jpg

Some improvements 2,352

My Tips :

- Never freeze the squirrel to kill it. Try to preserve it as longer as possible.

As the I.A. of the squirrel is "limited" it will always make a fatal error alone... so as long as it lives you scores points jumping onto the red / orange platforms.

Avoid to be frozen by it and you'll finish the game with your 5 lives which will make you won you a maximum of points.

- At the end of each level, stay always lower than the squirrel on the ladder to score the green platform points : jump to the above platform always when the one you are standing on is about to disappear so you'll always increase your score easely.

post-27-1121365178_thumb.jpg

Edited by khryssun