IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 26: Quick Step

Ze_ro

First off, I just beat my previous score.

New score: 4,542

Now, I'm wondering if this happened to anyone else...

My last game, where I scored 4,461, I noticed that I didn't get an extra life at 2,000, nor did the Squirrel. This of course hindered my game. It happened to me several times, but the last game I just played, I DID get my extra man at 2,000 as well as the Squirrel. What gives?

Now, I'm wondering if this happened to anyone else...

My last game, where I scored 4,461, I noticed that I didn't get an extra life at 2,000, nor did the Squirrel. This of course hindered my game. It happened to me several times, but the last game I just played, I DID get my extra man at 2,000 as well as the Squirrel. What gives?

892613[/snapback]

Yes I noticed the same problem, most of the time I don't earn the extra life at 2,000.

I noticed that the only games I earned the extra life was when I had 5 lives left... so I'll go to 6.

I wonder if the game doesn't give the extra life only if we haven't loose any life before we reach 2,000 points :?: .

Edited by khryssun

Yes I noticed the same problem, most of the time I don't earn the extra life at 2,000.

I noticed that the only games I earned the extra life was when I had 5 lives left... so I'll go to 6.

I wonder if the game doesn't give the extra life only if we haven't loose any life before we reach 2,000 points  :?: .

892705[/snapback]

No, I've had games where I earned an extra life when I was down to my last life. On the other hand, I've had games where I had all 5 reservevs, hit 2,000, and it didn't give me the 6th reserve.

So, between that and the suicidal Squirrel, this is one tough game! :)

No, I've had games where I earned an extra life when I was down to my last life. On the other hand, I've had games where I had all 5 reservevs, hit 2,000, and it didn't give me the 6th reserve.

So you just find a bug...

...and I find another one : (it only happens to me one time : after the first squirrel died, all the new squirrels that appeared didn't move at all (they stay locked on their platform) and they disappear at the bottom of the screen as it scrolls down... which made the game end quickly : I scored about 2,200 and the squirrel was only 18 if my memory is right (I think I took a picture but I'am not sure... I'll have a look as I was playing on another computer than this one).

So, between that and the suicidal Squirrel, this is one tough game!  :)

892733[/snapback]

You are totally right...

Keep your finger crossed and you'll break the 5 K barrier ;)

Good luck, you're so close... I know you can do it :D

Edited by khryssun

I've never really spent much time playing this game before, it's an interesting game. But not one I think I'd play very often because the computer AI sucks, and is the main limiting factor to getting a high score. While sometimes I would try to turn some of the trampolines on the bottom green, I found that I would manage to get frozen by the squirrel while down there, so I stopped doing that for the most part. If the stupid squirrel was a bit smarter about not getting trapped at the end of the level, you'd be able to play a bit longer.

Here's my score after playing a few rounds, 3094. May give it another go later. :)

..Al

quickstep.jpg

New score:

So far, while experimenting, I found that turning the Atari OFF, then back ON after each round, seems to insure that you'll get the extra life at 2,000.

It seems that after the first game ends, if you simply start over by pressing the fire button, the free life at 2,000 won't happen.

Edited by the 5th ghost

New personnal record : 4,441

Well, I spent 2 hours playing this game this morning making only ridiculous scores... :x

I just had half an hour to play before diner and I broke the 4 K barrier easely... the squirrel must have eat some prozac while I was gone :D

This game is nothing but a lottery. I agree it has a lot of good gaming ideas but it's a poor release quality : they aren't well used. What a pity, it could be a great game with a better programming.

My Final Tip : as for all luck games, if you want to have a chance to increase your score, play again, again and again... with some luck you'll finish to have a game with a less suicidal squirrel and good patterns sequences (not ones without any exit on both sides of the screen as it comes sometimes and where you can't do anything else than loosing a life !)

post-27-1121623444_thumb.jpg

Edited by khryssun

Bad news guys. We had a pretty nasty thunderstorm last night, and a power surge seems to have buggered my hard drive pretty good. I was able to boot off of it a couple of times, but after a few runs through fsck, the drive won't even boot any more. I'm still in the process of rebuilding the system, and I've no idea how much data I've lost at this point... it's quite possible that I've lost the spreadsheet that I had all the HSC scores and data in, and if that's the case, then I might just restart things with season 3 rather than trying to dig through all the threads to recreate the file. In any case, the next couple of days might get a little rocky.

--Zero

Bad news guys. We had a pretty nasty thunderstorm last night, and a power surge seems to have buggered my hard drive pretty good. I was able to boot off of it a couple of times, but after a few runs through fsck, the drive won't even boot any more....

--Zero

893252[/snapback]

Sad news Ze_ro, I'am very sorry for your hardware damages. :(

I hope it won't you cost too much work and money to restore all that stuff.

If the community can help in any way, please let us know.

Anyway count on me.

best regards,

Chris

Okay, I've decided to join this little club to see if it can reignite my love of the 2600. My best score so far is 1443.

The hardest part is keeping that dumb squirrle alive. Also, I'm colour blind, so colour based games like this sometimes present a small problem. Luckily I can tell the difference between my squares and the squirrle's, but I can't tell the difference between his and the unlanded ones. If you're a homebrew authour do me a favour, use traffic light colours for any distinctions that are important, those are easy to tell apart.

Ze_ro, I feel ya bro. Our computer up and decided last Thursday to just stop working altogether. Hence my lack of activity this week. Its not due back until mid-week so I guess I am a 0 for this week. :sad: :sad: I was looking forward to this game.

Ah well. I'm accessing off a work computer and I don't think they want an Atari Emu on the desktop when I am supposed to be working! :D

Hope everything works out, pal. See you cats in a few days, I hope! :)

Bad news guys. We had a pretty nasty thunderstorm last night, and a power surge seems to have buggered my hard drive pretty good. I was able to boot off of it a couple of times, but after a few runs through fsck, the drive won't even boot any more. I'm still in the process of rebuilding the system, and I've no idea how much data I've lost at this point... it's quite possible that I've lost the spreadsheet that I had all the HSC scores and data in, and if that's the case, then I might just restart things with season 3 rather than trying to dig through all the threads to recreate the file. In any case, the next couple of days might get a little rocky.

893252[/snapback]

Ugh, that really sucks. Hope you're able to recover all or nearly all of your data. I've been lucky thus far with all the thunderstorms we get here in Texas--I don't know that I've lost anything yet that's been plugged in during a storm. Sometimes if we have a really severe storm coming I'll unplug a few things (even those plugged into supposed-lightning proof power strips), but I don't usually do that. Good luck with the recovery.

..Al