IGNORED

Board Games

Inky

Have any board games ever been ported to the 26? I'm racking my brain here, but I can't think of any.

One I think that is extremely doable is Battleship. Shouldn't be a hard game to do at all.

Just thought of one. Othello, Checkers and Chess..

Maybe that's 3..

And how about someone hacking the graphix on Strawberry Shortcake to represent every little kid's favorite board game character, COOTIE!

Well Cubicolor is the same game as Rubik's Race. I assume Rubik came out first, but I do not know for sure. A Game of Concentration is kinda sorta like Memory. There was a board game version of Hangman. And I believe somebody turned Simon into a 2600 game. I don't know if you count any of these or not.

Othello

Video Chess

Backgammon

Flag Capture (dumbed down Risk)

3D Tic Tac Toe

Checkers (Activision and Atari)

If you consider the puzzle genre equivalent to board games, then homebrews have been busy with them, like Okie Dokie, Qb, and Jammed/Crazy Valet.

Board games are hard to do on the 2600 because they are background-graphics intensive. This generally means dynamic playfield bitmaps which are hard to do on the 2600 and still yield few colors to work with.

Battleship would require too much RAM for a stock 2600. It's two 10x10 boards and there are three states, unknown, hit, and miss.

It's probably doable with Starpath RAM.

Visually indicating a hit vs. a miss would also be tricky. You'd have to resort to striping because the playfield only has two colors, one for background and one for foreground. If you interleaved the background you could have odd scanlines be red and even be white.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Glenn Saunders ]

>>

With 8 bits in every byte, one byte of RAM can record the shot history of 8 consecutive grid coordinates.

<<

That implies a simple on/off state for a grid coordinate. There are 3 states for each coordinate, unknown, miss, and hit. So you really need 2 bits per coordinate.

For 200 coordinates, that's 400 bits. Okay, that's 50 bytes.

You are right though. It is still doable. I was thinking in terms of bytes per coordinate rather than bits.

That being said, Milton Bradley probably should have attempted the game when they could have...

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Either player could also display his own Ship Placement grid at any time during the game just for laughs. All ya gotta do is tell your opponent to look away while you flip your player difficulty switch to take a quick peek and then flip it back to restore the Radar grid to resume the game.

And if you happened to flip the wrong difficulty switch by “accident” while your opponent wasn't looking, well, that's just the luck of the flip.

quote:

I was thinking that it would be You vs. the Computer.

If you wanted to play against a friend, you could place your ships while he's not looking. Then he can place his ships while you're not looking. Then each of you can alternately view your own "Radar" grids (the grid that doesn not include your own ships) to see where you want to shoot at next. The VCS can make the determination and alert both players of the HIT/MISS status of each shot. Showing just the Radar grids doesn't give anything away because both players see both Radar grids during the course of standard non-computer Battleship, anyway. (In standard Battleship, your opponent's Radar grid and your own Ship Placement grid are the same, except you see your own ships). Since there's no real strategic value to be had in looking at your own Ship Placement grid, neither player need look at it during the course of the game. Although, you'll undoubtedly want to look at it when the game is over.

Either player could also display his own Ship Placement grid at any time during the game just for laughs. All ya gotta do is tell your opponent to look away while you flip your player difficulty switch to take a quick peek and then flip it back to restore the Radar grid to resume the game.

Ben

How hard would it be to program only one side to show up at a time during placement? Or during play for that matter? I don't really know so I'm just asking whether or not it would take up too much room in the programming to do either of these things.

quote:

But now that I think about if further, I'm really starting to LIKE Glen's 400 bits of table idea.

00 = no shot taken, no ship present

01 = no shot taken, ship present

10 = shot taken, no ship present (i.e. MISS)

11 = shot taken, ship present (i.e. HIT)

Ben

Not like that, like this:

MISS TABLE

0 = no shot taken, no ship present

1 = no shot taken, ship present

HIT TABLE

0 = shot taken, no ship present (i.e. MISS)

1 = shot taken, ship present (i.e. HIT)

I imagine it as two bitplanes like the Amiga. One would store misses (white over bg) and the other stores hits (red over bg).

Since you only have two colors available per scanline (unless you change colors dynamically which I don't think would work with this tight spacing) you alternate scanlines. This would be really easy to draw because your playfield RAM index is reused for both bitmaps.

Any other method would take too long to decode into playfield register settings.