IGNORED

RS Basketball - PAL or NTSC?

johnnywc

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if the RS Basketball proto ROM on this site is NTSC or PAL? I'm trying to get a cart made of it with Randy down at Hozer video, and when he makes a cart from the ROM and trys it on an Atari, the screen rolls!!!

Anybody have any idea why? I *thought* the RS Basketball proto was NTSC, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anybody know if there are any special hardware requirements for the proto(like Klax has with the super chip)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if the RS Basketball proto ROM on this site is NTSC or PAL? I'm trying to get a cart made of it with Randy down at Hozer video, and when he makes a cart from the ROM and trys it on an Atari, the screen rolls!!!

Anybody have any idea why? I *thought* the RS Basketball proto was NTSC, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anybody know if there are any special hardware requirements for the proto(like Klax has with the super chip)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RS Basketball displays about 290 lines, which is to much for NTSC. But a NTSC hack is on it's way already

Thomas,

Thanks for the help with RS Basketball. Can you explain in layman's terms why the screen rolls and what "it only displays 290 lines" would do? I'm just curious...

As for the palette, I have no clue. I do know that the game looks alot better color-wise in z26 than Stella - hope that helps!

Anyway the hack could be tested on a real Atari using a Cuttle Cart once it's done? If Randy burns me a cart, I (and he) want to make sure it's actually going to work...

Thanks again!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyWC:

Thanks for the help with RS Basketball. Can you explain in layman's terms why the screen rolls and what "it only displays 290 lines" would do? I'm just curious...

100% standard compatible NTSC games display 262 lines per frame at 60Hz, PAL games have 312 lines at 50Hz.

There are however a lot of games which don't match the standard exactly. For known NTSC games you can find values from 248 to 286 and for PAL from 284 to 342. So it's not easy to tell for games around 280-290 lines wether they are PAL or NTSC. The more the value is off the standard value, the more TVs get sync problems.

RS Basketball's 290 lines are about 10% of the standard NTSC, which is to much for a lot of TVs.

You can check that yourself with z26. When the game is running, use ALT-9 and the emulator shows the current number of lines.

Anyway the hack could be tested on a real Atari using a Cuttle Cart once it's done?

Sure, that's no problem at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Weird! I never realized that before. Basically then, it's neither NTSC or PAL. I wonder why it was programmed that way.

Perhaps it was done that way to adjust the gameplay speed on that average level.

When you then finally make it NTSC and PAL, both versions will be off about the same (NTSC will be ~10% faster and PAL ~7% slower).

IMO that would be quite clever, other companies seem to have developed for NTSC only and as a result the PAL conversions of the games are sometimes a bit to slow.

And perhaps they were biased more to the PAL market already, so they choose a value closer to PAL.

You might be right. Maybe this was a new 'approach' to writing games for both NTSC and PAL markets.

Btw, had a chance to look at this game more closely. If you noticed in the 1983 poster catalog, the picture shown depicts a referee at the bottom of the screen. Although no ref appears in the game, I did find a character graphic that may be the ref; it doesn't appear to be used as one of the player animations.

Looks like there's a few suprises hidden away in this one (stay tuned)...

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

I don't want to interupt too much but what does BTW stand for? Everyone keeps using it in these forums and I'm really confused, at first I thought it was German because jahfish wrote it and that's when I first noticed it. But now everyone is using it. Does it mean "by the way?" I don't know. Thanks and sorry for interupting the flow of conversation. carry on

That definitely looks like an artist's rendition. Poking around I think I found the ref...

0fb8 |XX XX |

0fb9 | X X |

0fba | XX X |

0fbb | XX |

0fbc | XX |

0fbd | X |

0fbe |XX XX X |

0fbf |X XX |

0fc0 |X XXX X |

0fc1 | XXXXX |

0fc2 | XXX |

0fc3 | X |

0fc4 | XXX |

0fc5 | XXX |

0fc6 | XXX |

0fc7 | X |

Upside down of course!

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Sorry for any confusion - the catalog pic is definitely
not
an actual screen shot, but given how accurate it is, I tend to think there is (or was) a more complete version of this, which included the ref.

I noticed, that the poles are more symmetric too. You might be right.