IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 1: Rabbit Transit

Ze_ro

You are a rabbit trying to get through the Mysterious Meadow and the Land of Ledges to start a family and make it grow. Meadow meanies are trying to prevent you from getting to your friend, the turtle, who will carry you down the river to the Land of Ledges. Sneaky snakes, bothersome butterflies, chattering choppers and other meanies will send you back to the top of the Meadow or take away one of your chances. If you avoid all these obstacles and leap atop the turtle, you will go to the Land of Ledges. Here, you will hop from ledge to ledge, attempting to turn them all into one magic color. But beware of a heartless man who will interfere by dropping rocks and undoing all your hopping efforts. If you do succeed in changing all the ledges into the magic color, you will go to the Bunny Bushes and start your family, because this week's game is Rabbit Transit!

Game Information

• Game Name: Rabbit Transit
  • Released By: Starpath, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Turtle Will Submerge, Faster Gameplay
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: Keir

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, July 26th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Philflound! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 80,722 (khryssun) [+11]
  2. 79,591 (xeex) [+10]
  3. 69,907 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 68,611 (sku_u) [+8]
  5. 52,531 (Keir) [+7]
  6. 49,088 (shadow460) [+6]
  7. 30,238 (vgcollector666) [+5]
  8. 29,716 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 26,960 (Malc74) [+3]
  10. 17,933 (panda_racer) [+2]
  11. 17,777 (supercat) [+1]
  12. 12,273 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  13. 9466 (scogey) [+1]
  14. 9243 (Atarifever) [+1]
  15. 6841 (Gateway) [+1]
  16. 6432 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]

Best Tips

• khryssun [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

1. 37,173 (David B Yancey)
  2. (No other scores are posted!)
Current Standings

1. Coming Soon!

Member List

Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir

Scoring Points in Rabbit Transit

Coming Soon!

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has both a scanned and typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure. In case you're too lazy to read the manual, here's the tips it provides:

• Remember to hold the base of the joystick at the correct angle to avoid jumping the wrong direction.

• Lure the heartless man toward the center ledges. As soon as he hurls his rock, hop over and change an edge ledge or two. But hurry back to the center ledges before the man returns with another rock.

- I noticed the turtle always appeared the first time when the countdown reached 87. This is very helpful in the higher rounds to synchronize the action to avoid the ennemies which are fast and numerous. Wait the counter to be around 90-89 before starting to going down and slaloming through the ennemies to reach the turtle which is just waiting for you.

- On the levels where the man is throwing rocks that change the color of the platforms, the best place to stay is onto the platform located in the middle of the screen (please, see the picture below : its' the one where's the rabbit). Wait there 'till the man come above you and throw the rock then start to move quickly onto the unchanged colored platform around you and come back to this place just before the man is about to come back. Change your "way" patterns at each time the man go away to modify the color of all the platforms and you'll finish the level quickly before the countdown reaches 0 without any problems.

- On the "garden" levels, memorize the number, the position and the behaviour of the enemies of each round : they always be identical at each new game. So you'll be able to find what to do and what to avoid for each level : an easy way to progress.

When you reaches scores 50,000 and above, on the levels were the man throw the stones :

As the action is incredibly fast, we have to adjust our tactics :

- When waiting about the man to come back, stay in the middle column (inchanged strategy) and wait as possible on the LOWER platform to have much time to anticipate the falling rock and avoid it.

- When the man go away to get another rock, jump immediatly to make SHORT patterns to change platforms colors (change the color of 3-4 platforms only (instead of 6-7 in the lower levels) then come back quickly to the waiting position).

- Try to change the color of the right and left columns platforms first then concentrate the action on the 3 middle columns...so we can finish the level before the countdown reaches 0.

- Never change the color of the upper platforms when the man is near to reappear on the screen : you won't have the time to avoid his rock! Go on the upper platforms only when he has just drop the rock.

For scores above 65,000 - 70,000 apply the following tactic (maybe there's one better but I don't found it yet icon_ponder.gif ) :

On the levels with the man throwing rocks :

- Don't stop to run from one side to the other side of the screen trying to color the platforms gradually from the far sides to the center of the screen. To do such a thing you have to stay on the right side (at the bottom of the screen, 2 columns before the last one) to attract the man to the right then you'll have to run quickly to the left before he comes back.

When on the left, wait the man to come to you (wait 2 columns from the left side) then go to the right just before he comes above you. Repeat this tactic till you get only the 3 middle columns to have to change the color to.

The hard thing is to terminate the level : move from the bottom of the screen to the top jumping only on the 3 middle columns.

The difficulty is that all that stuff takes a lot of time, so we have to develop efficient patterns to avoid the countdown to reach 0.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

I realize that there's a prototype of the cartridge version of this game that was to be released by Atari, and that the ROM is hosted at AtariAge (The Starpath version is not)... can anyone confirm that both versions play and score the same? If so, then feel free to submit scores from either version of the game.

--Zero

I realize that there's a prototype of the cartridge version of this game that was to be released by Atari, and that the ROM is hosted at AtariAge (The Starpath version is not)... can anyone confirm that both versions play and score the same? If so, then feel free to submit scores from either version of the game.

--Zero

894025[/snapback]

I have the starpath version of the game (thanks to stella cd)

according to atariprotos.com there are a small difference in the two games.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/r...bbittransit.htm

Pretty relaxing game.

Good choice Keir :D

Tips :

- I noticed the turtle always appeared the first time when the countdown reached 87.

This is very helpful in the higher rounds to synchronize the action to avoid the ennemies which are fast and numerous. Wait the counter to be around 90-89 before starting to going down and slaloming through the ennemies to reach the turtle which is just waiting for you.

- On the levels where the man is throwing rocks that change the color of the platforms, the best place to stay is onto the platform located in the middle of the screen (please, see the picture below : its' the one where's the rabbit).

Wait there 'till the man come above you and throw the rock then start to move quickly onto the unchanged colored platform around you and come back to this place just before the man is about to come back. Change your "way" patterns at each time the man go away to modify the color of all the platforms and you'll finish the level quickly before the countdown reaches 0 without any problems.

- On the "garden" levels, memorize the number, the position and the behaviour of the ennemies of each round : they always be identical at each new game. So you'll be able to find what to do and what to avoid for each level : an easy way to progress.

post-27-1121795229_thumb.jpg

Edited by khryssun

Wait until you get to the part where the man drops a rock and changes all the platforms back to their original color. This is when you've really got to develop your pattern and stick to it or time will run out.

I've never really tried to marathon this one. I just played a couple of games to submit a score to Twin Galaxies so everyone would have something to shoot for. I think it is possible to play this one forever, but I don't know yet if the score rolls or freezes or if the difficulty gets any greater than what I've seen at 37K+. I doubt if it gets any more difficult.

Good luck to everyone! This is a great pick. I didn't notice any difference in play between the two different roms.

9243.  Hey, how can I attach my screenshots here?  I have it saved to my computer but can't get it to post here.

894454[/snapback]

Just use the Attachments feature (located at the bottom of the editing panel).

Browse your system, select your screenshot file (.jpg files are supported, I don't know if it works for other graphic files type) and click on the "Add This Attachment" Button.

Edit your text as you do usually then click on the "Add Reply" Button and it's done :)

I've never really tried to marathon this one.  I just played a couple of games to submit a score to Twin Galaxies so everyone would have something to shoot for.  I think it is possible to play this one forever, but I don't know yet if the score rolls or freezes or if the difficulty gets any greater than what I've seen at 37K+.  I doubt if it gets any more difficult.

894469[/snapback]

I have a feeling we will find out if it rolls this week. If I can't do it, I'm sure someone here can. I played a few games last night and got up to 32,978 but I know I can do a lot better.

BTW, some great tips khryssun. The only thing I can add is use a joystick! I know this game is pretty rare, but there are ways to do it without actually owning the game. I prefer to use wplaybin to play bin files on my Atari through my Supercharger. Works awesome.

895107[/snapback]

Great score! You took out my record and I know you'll go even higher. Make sure to get a VHS recording of it so you can get a verified world record on Twin Galaxies!! :cool:

Also, I didn't know this was only a 4K game that could be played on the SC. Man, it's pretty good for only 4K. :ponder:

Edited by D.Yancey

Great score!  You took out my record and I know you'll go even higher.  Make sure to get a VHS recording of it so you can get a verified world record on Twin Galaxies!! :cool:

I'd like one of those records someday. I don't think I can roll this one unless the difficulty resets. Maybe the 5th ghost can! :) When the beasties come out in groups of three it all gets quite difficult.

post-6975-1121903420_thumb.jpg

Great score!  You took out my record and I know you'll go even higher.  Make sure to get a VHS recording of it so you can get a verified world record on Twin Galaxies!! :cool:

895355[/snapback]

Yikes! I haven't got that far yet. I was thinking it wasn't going to get any harder. Beat the TG record though! Next time I might tape it. :cool:

Sweet *BIG* Family :D

BTW : Does someone know if there's an emulator that allow to record a game to a movie file while playing (.avi...) ?

(If not this would be a great feature to include, just a suggestion to our fantastic programmers...)

Xeex and Keir you made Awesome scores :thumbsup:

It will be a tough challenge... ;)

post-27-1121966997_thumb.jpg

post-27-1121967012_thumb.jpg