IGNORED

nes vs. 7800

joshua

put in Nintendo Entertainment System and Atari 7800 and see what you get.

894914[/snapback]

Atari 7800 kicks butt in that matchup.

894964[/snapback]

I got quite the opposite... what is this thing?

894994[/snapback]

Well I put the names in quotes like this: "Nintendo Entertainment System" vs "Atari 7800" That way the page must contain those words in that order and position relative to each other to be counted.

To me it just comes down to this: Nintendo was willing to put what they had to in order for it's games to be good; Atari wasn't willing to go that far.

I said it before and I say it here publicly I would be willing to pay some real money say $50 for a 7800 game that would challenge anything Nintendo or Sega ever did for their 8bit consoles

The 7800 was shelved when first completed and then released (i THINK 2-3 YEARS LATER) after nintendo had soo much success with the nes, so it was in a sense old technology being billed as "cutting edge."

While being backwards compatible with 2600 games was nice, nothing could have stopped the runaway success of the nes and mario.

comparing the nes to the sega master system is an even stranger battle: in this case, the sms was graphically superior to the nes, but the sms lacked something more important-third party support. And the nes was killing the sms there. Although that was due largely to nintendo using strong-arm tactics with both retailers and third parties. I believe they had them sign an excluse deal to only deal with the nes. Which explains why I never even heard of a sms till the console's death.

Edited by Smiley

However, if you put in "Atari 7800" vs. "Tom Arnold", well, its not even close.  Sadly, Tom Arnold kicks the Atari 7800's ass. 

http://google-fight.com/index.php?lang=en_...ord2=tom+arnold

895727[/snapback]

But Atari 7800 kicks Roseanne's ass - so there you go.

895779[/snapback]

Now that's interesting. I always thought that Tom Arnold was the weak link in that coupling. I wonder what would be the result in a match between Siegfried and Roy?

Anyone know the actual spec comparison between NES and 7800?

I mean how close are they? Could 7800 handle Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt?

896676[/snapback]

See the thread Misguided Criticism of the Atari 7800"Misguided Criticism of the Atari 7800" for a detailed argument of the pros and cons of each. It's probably more than the you ever want to know. ;-)

Basically:

1. The two systems (both developed from around 1983) are from the same generation in console history.

2. The NES took the path of focusing on tile based games. Side scrollers like Super Mario are super easy to create on the NES. The NES has really bright colours and a lot of sound. Its limits are that it isn't the most flexible system. It does one type of game quite well, but not a system to be easily manipulated.

3. The 7800 took a different path of having a highly flexible display and the ability to move around a pile of objects at the same time without flicker or slowdown. It has lots of colours and a very flexible display. It's also backwards compatible with the 2600. The downside is that the sound was sacrificed as a result of cost cutting to enable that compatibility and the flexible graphics system is extremely processor intense.

4. The biggie: While there are technical differences between the two, it's also important (more important to remember, IMO) that the NES really shined because a) Nintendo locked up the better developers; b) Nintendo themselves employed better developers and gave them more development time and hardware to work with; and c) Nintendo was contantly investing in larger cartridges and extra chips to make the NES excel. Atari, on the other hand, pretty much threw the 7800 to market to make a quick buck. Warner Atari had all kinds of plans for that system. Tramiel Atari threw them out and essentially milked the cow.

Could the 7800 handle Duck Hunt or Super Mario? It has two similar games: Srapyard Dog and Barnyard Blaster, so I'm inclined to believe yes.

Edited by DracIsBack

It just doesn't seem like they could handle Mario type graphics.

I checked out some screenshots from Scrapyard Dog and they just don't compare. Like you said though, maybe if the programers were top notch it could be close.

Edited by Ite

It just doesn't seem like they could handle Mario type graphics.

I checked out some screenshots from Scrapyard Dog and they just don't compare. Like you said though, maybe if the programers were top notch it could be close.

897193[/snapback]

Read the thread closely. The sense is "yes, but with more work". If you aren't familiar with the 7800, check out the phony commercial I made. It shows a lot of the 7800 games in action, as opposed to "static screens".

My fake Atari 7800 commercial