IGNORED

synthcart beat editor/player/compiler?

Channel 2

I'm considering making an application in Java for editing beats, playing them so that you can hear them while you work on them, and creating bin files for emulator, supercharger/cuttlecart, or EPROM. I've got no talent for music myself, but I did find the synthcart concept interesting, I would like to contribute something to the Atari world, and I need some kind of project to do while I study Java.

I'd like to know how much interest there would be in this. It would be nice to have a little extra motivation if it gets difficult. I can't predict whether I'll complete it in any case. I'm not a programmer, though I have taken two classes in C++ and did very well. And when I finally found the right code to study, I didn't have too much trouble understanding how to emulate Tia sound.

I also need some information. How do the values that go into beatdata.h translate to the values that go in the sound control bytes?

I'd love to see that project done. If you do get it working, I could probably find time to enhance the beat player so it supports more than just two beats, but still works on the Supercharger.

I'll answer your question about beatdata.h when I get home and can look at my notes.

-Paul

IF I succeed with the first project, adding features shouldn't be a problem. The work would mostly be on your end, as long as compiling the bin file consists of plugging the beat data into an existing bin. Stuff like scripting in the data, let alone real compiling of code, I'm not going to think about at this point.

I thought of some more info I need. What's the duration of a single note? Anything else I forgot?

I've been looking at beats.asm, and I think I have the values figured out. The five bits for pitch translate directly into a value (0 to 31) for AUDF. The three bits for instruments taken as a number 0 to 7 correspond to values of 4, 6, 7, 8, 15, 12, 1, and 3, as found in soundTypeArray. The volume is 0 if no note, 15 if accented, 5 if unaccented (I think -- it's 15 with an attenuation of 10). And I'm pretty sure each 32nd note is 3 frames or .05 seconds in duration. If it has to be a whole number of frames, it's 3.

Does that sound right?

quote:

Originally posted by Channel 2:

PIX! PIX! PIX!

This is off-topic, but I have to ask what this is in reference to. Back when I was growing up in New York, I used to watch the television station WPIX. They would have contests on TV where people would call in and "play" Intellivision games by saying "PIX!" into the phone, which would cause some action in the game (like firing a laser to destroy ships, I think Space Battle was one of the games used). This was all rather humorous, of course, since there was always a delay between the time the person said "PIX!" and when the action was taken.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

This is off-topic, but I have to ask what this is in reference to. Back when I was growing up in New York, I used to watch the television station
. They would have contests on TV where people would call in and "play" Intellivision games by saying "PIX!" into the phone, which would cause some action in the game (like firing a laser to destroy ships, I think Space Battle was one of the games used). This was all rather humorous, of course, since there was always a delay between the time the person said "PIX!" and when the action was taken.

..Al

That's the one all right.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

This is off-topic, but I have to ask what this is in reference to. Back when I was growing up in New York, I used to watch the television station
. They would have contests on TV where people would call in and "play" Intellivision games by saying "PIX!" into the phone, which would cause some action in the game (like firing a laser to destroy ships, I think Space Battle was one of the games used). This was all rather humorous, of course, since there was always a delay between the time the person said "PIX!" and when the action was taken.

..Al

That's hilarious! Imagine the frustration and excitement of the caller though...

It would be like jumping up and down on the "Price is Right", screaming out your price, only to have them input the wrong number.....EVERY TIME! And then the number you screamed comes up...EVERY TIME!

PIX!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. The top 3 bits index into the sound type array.

The note on/off/accent volume you stated are correct.

I believe the tempo is 7 frame for the fast tempo and 10 frames for the slower one.

-Paul

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Smart Patrol ]