IGNORED

attaching a zip drive to the ST/STE

I've been told that I can use a standard Zip drive with my ST, which I want to add to it, and my friend has an STE that he wants to add one too, so, what is needed to do this? Is there an adapter available or that can be made to connect it to the DMA port? I can directly (with an adapter or other) connect a Zip drive to the ST without going through an ICD or other HD controller/adapter can't I?

I though that too, pretty sure I read that in an Atari magazine from the ST days. on a website I found this info though so now I guess it doesn't work :?

"George Iken posts this about using a parallel port hard drive or other

storage device on the ST:

"The parallel port version of most any of the removable drives will work

ONLY on a PC. It will NOT work (even if someone tried to make a driver)

on an ST because the ST paralell port does not support bidirectional data

(unfortunately, even for the most simple disk writes, the computer really

needs to ask a few questions of the hard drive .. otherwise you might be

able to cobble up a write many, read never drive interface through the ST

parallell port).

The SCSI version of virtually all of these removable drives DOES work with

the ST (or Mac even). On the ST or MegaST you need a DMA to SCSI host

adapter (an ICD or other host adapter). On a TT or Falcon, just plug in

to the SCSI port. The ZIP drive is a little unique in that it needs to

pull power off the SCSI bus. Not all DMA to SCSI host adapters have power

at the pin the Zip is looking for it. If you have the right adapter

though, the Zip works fine. I personally prefer the faster and more

adaptable (you can use any SCSI ID versus only #5 or #6 on a Zip) Syquest

drives. I especially love the EZ135 (I have 3) and EZ230 (I have

2) drives for transferring data between ST and PC."

also, IMO, zip disks are too expensive to be practical nowadays.

Edited by geosteve

That was a bit confusing guys; first it seemed like you said that I'd use the parallel port, then you say I need to use a DMA to scsi host adapter. So, I'm guessing, from the confusing responses, and correct me if I am wrong and please verify if I am right, I COULD use the parallel port, but I'd still need some type of "interface" due to the bidirectional problem, BUT, I can easily attach a scsi Zip drive with a standard host adapter like the ICD one...right? My friend actually already has a zip drive that he has been using with an ICD host adapter THROUGH his Hard drive with one or the other working as a slave and he wanted to get rid of the old Hard drive and just have the Zip drive attached. So, he could then just get rid of the HD and have his Zip drive connected to his ICD host adapter (dma-scsi)? I would also need something similiar? I already have a BMS-100 and adaptec 4000 interface/controller, so I could probably hook it up through that too, as long as the Zip drives (for both of us) are scsi zip drives...right?

I may just go with a syquest drive as you do, since I don't have either yet, but I think my friend would still wnat to use his zip drives that he already has, whcih, I assume, are indeed scsi if he has them currently attached through his harddrives anyway.

also, how are the Syquest drives connected? do they also require the same as the Zips?

Edited by Gunstar

I had SCSI zip drive connected to ST through Link hostadapter back in the days. It was not bad, but lot of my friends preffered EZ DRIVE 135.

896908[/snapback]

I've got an EZ135 and 200. Both work great with my ICD Link2 on my Mega ST.

The carts for the EZ drives did have a reputation for being somewhat more fragile than ZIP carts though.

No, you canNOT hook up a parallel ZIP drive to the ST.

Yes, you can hook up a ZIP drive via a WB Link 96/97, ICD Link 2 or AdSCSI host adapter. These plug into the ACSI port of the ST. You'll need Centronics 50 to 25 pin adapter to hook the ZIP up to the host adapter.

I doubt that your BMS-100 host adapter will work as it's very old. It was one of the first generation of ST host adapters along with the original Supra and ICD host adapters. None of these support parity which the ZIP requires.

You'll also need to supply +5V power to the host adapters because the ZIP can't pass power through its SCSI port.

Sorry to hear that the paralle zip will not work. Bummer.

As for me, used and backed up many programs of the ST on a Zip drive (100).

ST/STE - had to use a link 2 adaptor (ASCI to SCSI)

Atari TT... has a SCSI port and therefore no problem. Connects right up.

Used either the ICD utilities or HD Driver.

It is feasible to connect a ZIP drive with a centronics/parallel interface to the ST. But not easy at all. As some already said, the ST port lacks some signals and functionality that is needed by such devices as a ZIP drive.

However (and perhaps, just for the record) I remember reading that somebody developed and sold a full blown centronics interface for the ST cartridge port. I don't know if it still available (guess it's not), but even if you can get the adapter you still need a special driver that probably was never written.

• 13 years later...

can anyone verify if the adSCSI ST ICD Adapter will work for a Zip drive?

heres the info on the product; it says it supports parity generation? my idea is to pair it with an internal scsi zip /w 50pin ribbon cable and make some type of case for it; ill still need to power the drive somehow tho; hmm

AdSCSI ST

AdSCSI ST—Less than half the size of our original ST Host Adapter, the AdSCSI ST has all of its features except the clock. Added features include full SCSI command set, parity generation, dual mode DMA daisy chaining, and 48 mA drivers. The AdSCSI ST includes our unique Dual-Mode DMA providing both the drivers for standard pass-through operation invented by ICD and full compatibility with devices that use parallel daisy chaining. The AdSCSI ST package includes AdSCSI ST Host Adapter, 29 inch molded DMA cable, DC power adapter cable, our famous software, and comprehensive manual.

AdSCSI ST Direct Price $69.95 + s&h; Sold Out