IGNORED

Broken Lynx, any idea how to fix?

Atari_Owl

Hi Guys

I just got a Lynx from a flea market here and its not turning on.

Any ideas?

I've tried a variety of games, and put a DVM across the connections of the batteryies to the board to make sure its getting 9v.

But i can't get it to power up, not even the power light.

Any ideas where to look next?

Cheers.

Hi Guys

Any ideas?

I've tried a variety of games, and put a DVM across the connections of the batteryies to the board to make sure its getting 9v.

Cheers.

902289[/snapback]

This should be inserted to the FAQ...

Take a wire and connect the headphone ground to the battery minus.

If the Lynx starts up then the MOS transistor Q12 is broken, again...

--

Cheers,

Karri

Hi Guys

Any ideas?

Cheers.

902289[/snapback]

This should be inserted to the FAQ...

--

Cheers,

Karri

902344[/snapback]

OK

This is interesting.

I did as you descrbed and it booted up, the light came on, etc.

Many MANY thanks for the advice Karri :)

However the screen was black.

Then i discovered that the copper shielding seemed to have been rather inexpertly re-soldered on one side of the screen.

I de soldered this and everything started working, even with the on/off buttons.

SO i now have a working Lynx I for 50p :)

Now all i need to do is fit a new external power source connector as the current one seems to be broken/.

Any advice on this?

Cheers

Now all i need to do is fit a new external power source connector as the current one seems to be broken/.

Any advice on this?

902961[/snapback]

Its nearly impossible to resolder it.

Just take a short cable outside and put an(y) connector there. nearly anything is bettrer than the connector which is used in the lynx :-b

--

Cheers,

Karri

OHHHMYYYGOD!!

I've had a busted Lynx for so many years and all of a sudden I try this and the bloody thing works!!

Wow!

Now i need to fix the Q12 transistor.. and thats it?!?!

--

Cheers,

Karri

OHHHMYYYGOD!!

I've had a busted Lynx for so many years and all of a sudden I try this and the bloody thing works!!

Wow!

Now i need to fix the Q12 transistor.. and thats it?!?!

906225[/snapback]

That's it. Look for power MOSFET switch MTD3055E or

the modern replacement part with same pinout called STD12N06.

And you need to handle a soldering iron to do this.

Removing the broken part is the tricky thing as you should not

harm the traces on the board. Perhaps cutting the legs and removing

them one by one is better than trying to remove the entire

component at once?

--

Regards,

Karri

Ok, while I'm searching the depths of the web looking for this part, could anyone here tell me if there is any other place I could transplant it from? I'm going to look inside a spare TG16 I have. I looked through radioshack, nothing yet

Also, I did get a few different "descriptions" for the STD12N06:

STD12N06-> SMD MOSFET-TRANSISTOR

STD12N06-> N - CHANNEL ENHANCEMENT MODE POWER MOS TRANSISTOR.

Also, I found that the standard replacement for the part is the NDT2955.

Let me know if this can be confirmed. Found it at MOUSER.com

I'm down with the soldering, I've fixed the thinnest traces on AMD motherboards!

And I make my own custom tips ^_^

Its just that I'm not familiar with the different names and funtions for transistors.

What are the chances of finding one with any of you guys?

Chris

Edited by CPU64

Chris

907072[/snapback]

At least there is a company called RS electronics in the UK that sells all

kind of components through different outlets.

I checked their catalog and there were a few MOFETs that may

fit the Lynx. The system here is to order them via a local electronics

shop and in a few days the parts find their way here. Obviously they

collect several shipments together and deliver them once a week

or so to keep the price down.

If I visit the shop to pick up my order I usually get the parts at about

the same price it is in the catalog. (Less than $2 for a MOSFET switch)

I checked their home page and there seems to be outlets almost

everywhere.

Distributors for RS

Or perhaps I should buy 100 of them for 70 cents each and start reselling

them for twice the price through AtariAge.com forums :P

--

Karri

• 2 months later...
Is this for both Lynx and Lynx 2?

950172[/snapback]

Yes. But in the Lynx I schematic it is called Q11 and in the Lynx II schematics (which I don't have) it is Q12. Or was it the other way around? But the component is the same.

Somebody should grab a bag of these mosfets and set up a Lynx shop. Songbird?, AtariAge?

If I ever get a broken Lynx myself I could do it. But currently all my cats are working.

--

Karri

• 1 year later...
Is this for both Lynx and Lynx 2?

950172[/snapback]

Yes. But in the Lynx I schematic it is called Q11 and in the Lynx II schematics (which I don't have) it is Q12. Or was it the other way around? But the component is the same.

Somebody should grab a bag of these mosfets and set up a Lynx shop. Songbird?, AtariAge?

If I ever get a broken Lynx myself I could do it. But currently all my cats are working.

--

Karri

Its Q12 on the lynx II :)

I finally found a local shop out there (southern california) that I can get these through. So I ordered some up :D

I also found a couple ebay auctions for cases of 6 or so defective units, which I am very tempted to purchase and

see if I can maybe ressurect them ...

• 2 years later...

First off, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Tried the wire trick and my Lynx 2 turns on. Just a blank screen with some white spots (maybe bad pixels?) Short of pulling this thing apart and looking for the one issue another poster mentioned is it probably not worth my time messing with this thing if I already know I have to replace Q12?

Thanks!

First off, sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Tried the wire trick and my Lynx 2 turns on. Just a blank screen with some white spots (maybe bad pixels?) Short of pulling this thing apart and looking for the one issue another poster mentioned is it probably not worth my time messing with this thing if I already know I have to replace Q12?

Thanks!

No point in replacing Q12 if the Lynx does not work after turning it on. It should work perfectly with the wire trick if the Q12 is the only defective component.

--

Karri

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

hey all, sorry to resurrect a dead thread and this is probably a very stupid question, but im looking at the headphone socket and really struggling to identify the headphone ground, battery minus is an easy one but no idea which is headphone ground (its a mk1 lynx by the way)

cheers for any help.

Middle pin.

Since you brought the thread from the grave... I'll comment as well.

I thought this was a very interesting fact that I didn't know about. Fortunately all of my Lynx systems are currently working. But now I know what to try if they stop working.

Note...

sometime soon I can post the pinouts of the controler membrane. I don't think I have seen that anywhere on these boards, and it is useful if you are doing certain projects (like building an Atari 2600 into a Lynx 2).

;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi im edun from spain after read that post i try on one of my atari linx 2 and yes the power came back but only black screen so what else i can do? maeby some capacitors, one of then look brken the one close to the brithr wheel 100 uf 35v i change for one 220uf 35 volts but nothing stil blank screen, and also i can not find the q12 transsitor . somebody have new ideads. i also find if u want u can try the same trick from the ac dc adaptor instead - in the batery point just touch - in the acdc plug in the atari linx board work the same. pleaseee some help will be apreciated

hi im edun from spain after read that post i try on one of my atari linx 2 and yes the power came back but only black screen so what else i can do? maeby some capacitors, one of then look brken the one close to the brithr wheel 100 uf 35v i change for one 220uf 35 volts but nothing stil blank screen, and also i can not find the q12 transsitor . somebody have new ideads. i also find if u want u can try the same trick from the ac dc adaptor instead - in the batery point just touch - in the acdc plug in the atari linx board work the same. pleaseee some help will be apreciated

well i bought one atari linx 2 long time ago broken , last week i found thsi forum information for fixit well i did what u said about join ground wit bateri - the systen turn on but black screen aremove cope shield and metal shiel to chek any coold soldering point then i change the capacitor 220 uf 6,3 v for 2 220 16v (coudl not find the original one) and nothibng then i change 1 capacitor look realy bad whit green dust on the legs 100 uf 35v for 1 220 35v and nothibg to i got always the same ligt on blanc screen and light on the green power on led but power on button do not work no im stuck. anyway i didnt find the transistor the original one and the one said here shoud woirk but i found the nt2955g that in the fourm said aeby work what do u think i can doo? because anyway i read if the transistro is bronk anythink shoud work whit the cable trick please help me my email is edu220477@hotmail.com than u a lot

Ok, while I'm searching the depths of the web looking for this part, could anyone here tell me if there is any other place I could transplant it from? I'm going to look inside a spare TG16 I have. I looked through radioshack, nothing yet

I'm down with the soldering, I've fixed the thinnest traces on AMD motherboards!

And I make my own custom tips ^_^

Its just that I'm not familiar with the different names and funtions for transistors.

Chris

well i call rs online in spain they dont have mtd 3055e anynore and the std12n06 its also out of stock forever , well i found a page they have both but the firts one (mtd3055E) 25$ each minimun orther of 10 an the std12n06 10$ each minimum order 25 soy nothing i will not buy 250$ $ + hiping rates whto this money i can buy 2 or 3 linx. the thin is i found the NTD2955 in rs online there are 2 version 0,6 $ each minimum order 10 so i bouht 10 of each 2 version but when i solder it to the linx board afyer removing the old one the linx always on as soon as i plug it screen turn on and just blank screen and butons wont work i can not turn of turn on. i need some helo please.