IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 3: Space Invaders

Ze_ro

Attn : Spiceware - the 5th ghost

Wooahow, The 3,000 barrier is broken... Congrats guys !!!! :thumbsup:

Just curious :

How many hours are you playing a day to reach scores above 3k  :ponder:

906598[/snapback]

As for this week, I've only played a couple hours total since I didn't get back from vacation till Saturday.

I try to get in a few games when I get some spare time. For Space Invaders game 16, I usually hit the reset switch many times till I get through the 1st wave without losing a life and hitting at least 1 Saucer ;). I hope I don't wear the switch out!

My pattern on the 1st wave is to immediatley clear the bottom row, left to right, leaving only the far left Alien on the bottom row. Then, I clear the entire vertical row on the far right before the Aliens turn back. After that, I head back to the left, taking out each AT-AT alien on the way, then I take out the entire vertical row on the right side. By this point the Saucer arrives. If the Saucer comes in on the left side, it's an easy kill. If it comes in on the right side, it's a bit more challenging, but if you wait till the last moment to hit it at the far left side of the screen, as long as the far left vertical row is cleared, I will be able to hit the Saucer cleanly.

As for the 2nd wave, I immediately duck under the first Shield to avoid the flurry of shots coming in, then I carefully clear the bottom row just like in the first wave. Only this time, I don't try to clear the far right vertical row. I take out as much as I can of this row, but not all of it. Instead, I head back left and concentrate on the left side of the formation.

Basically, I try to whittle down the formation on the sides and bottom, making the box smaller and smaller. You don't want the Aliens spaced out, otherwise it gets very difficult to hit the last 2 or 3. Keep them together, keep them high!

As for the 4th wave and on (no shields), it's luck to not get shot immediately. I try to clear them out vertically the 2nd row in from the left, then hope I can take out the bottom row in time. If I can do this, it's only a matter of avoiding those nasty zig-zag missiles to get to the next wave. But, like I said, getting a chance to even get off a first shot on these waves is a matter of luck.

I've always thought invisible invaders were fun,

903521[/snapback]

Nice to hear someone say that; I've seen reviews stating that "no one liked invisible invaders", but I always did :P

ZERO, ADD ME TO THE CLUB THIS TIME AROUND!

Anyway, hardly had any time this week at all for this game; going to be playing some of it tonight. This is the best I've done so far...

post-3650-1123551624.jpg

Big whopping 290 for me.  Why can't you use a playable variation like the reset-on-powerup one?  That one I can actually do okay at. :)

907247[/snapback]

Because everyone and his mother can roll that version lol, and we'd have like 20 1st place people

And that's the end of another week of the High Score Club! Congratulations to everyone on their excellent scores, and I hope you all had fun with Space Invaders! Join us on the next edition of the High Score Club when the game will be Vault Assault!

--Zero