IGNORED

New Bugs Bunny at PhillyClassic3

Albert

/news/BugsBunny/index.htmlJoe Cody of Atari2600.com has sent us word that a previously unreleased version of the Atari 2600 game Bugs Bunny will be released at next month's PhillyClassic3. This version of Bugs Bunny is straight from programmer Bob Polaro, who will be on hand at PhillyClassic to hand out copies of the game as well as sign autographs. According to Joe Cody, this version of Bugs Bunny is more complete than the current version available, with a simultaneous two-player mode being one of the biggest additions. Included with the game will be be a full color reproduction box, color instruction manual and cartridge label. More detailed information, including a picture of the box and a screenshot, can be found here.

You will probably have to resort to (a) someone who goes there, or (b) Ebay.

That's the way these show-exclusives work. Their appeal is strong, very strong, but not enough to get people to the show. It does make people go crazy about not being able to have one...

Cheers,

Marco

Rhindle: The "Kid's" controller games were CCW titles (i.e. based on Sesame Street characters). Since Bugs Bunny and Road Runner are Looney Tunes characters, they would have had the same artwork (box/label) style. Besides, I'm sure Atari did a lot of head-to-head play-testing with 2 different game types (Snoopy is more of a shooter-type of game, whereas the earlier version of Bugs wasn't).

As a side note, an article in EG mentioned the (upcoming) CCW titles, and the accompanying picture showed some kids playing with a giant CCW box - the interesting thing is, the box is red! Another article I found (I think in Video Games mag) shows a couple of these boxes:

CCW1.JPG

CCW2.JPG

Hmm...I wonder what those props would sell for today?

Notice the Grovers Music maker box there, too bad we can't see the picture. I wonder why Alpha Beam with Ernie is simply called Alpha Beam? Maybe they hadn't decided on the character to use yet?

Is that Bugs Bunny artwork the artwork Atari was going to use or just something he picked up somewhere? I like it, but its a little mean looking for a kiddie Atari game.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Is that Bugs Bunny artwork the artwork Atari was going to use or just something he picked up somewhere? I like it, but its a little mean looking for a kiddie Atari game.

Tempest

well, it's not any artwork from atari. afaik there wasn't any artwork planned yet ...

it's a little mean for looney tunes either, but that's how it is and always have been! the old cartoons are pretty hard sometimes, people get beaten up or killed for fun .... just think of tom & jerry: their favorite hobby is beating up each other!

and guess what elmer wants to do with his gun in every serie: yes, kill bugs. that's just his job as a toon, his only role.

so let me reveal it. i did the artwork for the cover. i have been looking through comic shops, fleamarkets and the web to find an adequate picture for a cover. i submitted three choises and the one you see here was taken.

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

so let me reveal it. i did the artwork for the cover. i have been looking through comic shops, fleamarkets and the web to find an adequate picture for a cover. i submitted three choises and the one you see here was taken.

So THAT's what you were talking about when I ICQ'd ya a few weeks back...

Where'd ya end up getting the pic? Or should I not ask?

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Where'd ya end up getting the pic? Or should I not ask?

it's homebrewed of course ;-D

you just need some water, salt, two chicken legs, a snake, two frogs, a carrot, some alcool, 1 dash of tarantula poison and a bugs bunny comic. mix everything together in a big marmite and mix well ..... and finished is the box .....

Tempest: I guess you could consider 'Alpha Beam' an early (tentative) name for ABwE, but it wouldn't have been released it w/o some character attached to it, ya know?

jahfish: From the pictures, it doesn't look like a cut & paste job; the boxes look like giant oversized props- something Atari's art department would probably have no trouble making.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

Well, I for one would like to have a copy of this game. I don't see why it won't eventually be offered somewhere on the internet, people love money. And as far as the homebrew title on ebay, why would I pay outrageous prices there when I can pick up the majority of these games from Hozer way cheaper. Regardless I wish I had the time to go out there. Maybe I could hit the Midwest Classic.

I think the box is right, Road Runner had the same kind of box...

Actually Road Runner had a red box because it was a revival year release (86-90). Bugs Bunny probably would have had a colored box of some type like the rest of the childerns series. Disney was blue, Muppets was purple, Peanuts was red, CTW was yellow, so who knows what WB would be? Green?

Tempest

The only ones that were specifically designed for young childred were the yellow CCW titles. The 4 different series were just "special series", for the reasons you mentioned (Disney, Jim Henson's Muppets, Charles Shultz' Peanuts). It's possible that Atari may have made a WB Looney Tunes series, but I've never seen any documentation stating they had plans to. If they did, then they would have already missed out with Taz

If Atari 2600.com really wanted to be technically correct about the box, it would have been silver