IGNORED

Good arcade games that were not popular

Red 5

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder was one of my favorite arcade games, but didn't seem to get much distribution, at least in my area. Also really liked Spinmasters, and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, but finding a Neo cab in the arcade that had something other than a KOF or metal slug in it seemed to be pretty rare. Also remember Capcom releasing some really solid shooters like Last Duel, Legendary Wings, Side Arms, and Forgotten Worlds that no one else seemed to play.

Cadash (although I think there was a Genesis version, not sure...)

907796[/snapback]

Yeah there was a really piss-weak port on the Genesis, but they took out the Ninja and the Cleric. I've heard the PC Engine port is pretty solid though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing Venture at a nearby shopping center in the early 80's and being facinated by the graphics and gameplay. The arcade game was freaking HARD (I never last more than a minute for each Winky life) but it was fun watching others play. Even today, watching that big arrow shoot across the screen is cool and still play the Colecovision version ;)

For me, it would have to be the following

Both D&D Games (Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystaria.. great FinalFight-style games)

Ghosts 'n Goblins (don't know if it was popular, but the difficulty level still keeps me coming back for another continue's worth of play each time)

Frenzy ("The Robot Must Not Be Destroyed!", amazing sequel to the game.. just don't shoot Otto on the screens where Big Momma appears.. otherwise you have no chance to survive, make your time)

Popeye (First arcade game in which there was an ad for it mentioning about hin getting attacked with beer bottles.. yes.. BEER bottles and not soda, or Brutus/Bluto wanting to kill him)

Contra (it's always different to play the cartridge on the NES, then play the game on the arcade..)

If I can remember any more I'll post again.

Frontline was a good one, don't know if it was very popular or not. The unusual controls suck in mame.

Savage Quest was very cool and very unusual, and to this day it's unemulated and on no console port. With a small distribution and unusual hardware I'm afraid it may one day become extinct. I wish Mamedev would work on it so it's not lost forever.

The KLOV link to it is below.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9441

Edited by Blackjack

I know it's a sort of double-post for me, but I just realized there was a Capcom fighter that wasn't too popular that also is a rare item for the PSX and Dreamcast:

JoJo's Venture/JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Fighting game based on a manga of the latter name. It truly lived up to the "bizarre" part of the title. One of the most unique street-fighter style games I've ever seen. I also loved the numerous references to 1980s pop culture and music references.

• 1 month later...
lesser known arcade greats  for me are

dream shopper...super awesome and highly addictive!!!

lepracaun.... real quik to pick up and hard to quit!

my super fav game  hooked for life is the great DO RUN RUN!

967699[/snapback]

OOoohhh. I remember Red Baron. That was a good one.

Add to my already-mentioned short list:

Ninja Combat

Karate Blazers

Guardians of the Hood

and my personal fave on the weirdness scale...

Shogun Warriors!

A fighting game where you can play as a kappa, a kabuki actor, a ninja, or even as a geisha! :lust: Now there's a game that should be ported to a console!

Edited by JimmydelaKopin

I used to love Juno First.  It plays like a cross between Defender and Gyruss.

I don't think it was particularly popular in the arcades and I'm not aware of any home ports.

I know Empire Strikes Back didn't see that much distribution since it was an upgrade kit during the post-crash dead-zone era, but that was a fun game.

913905[/snapback]

I just got a jamma game with a 39 in one jamma board installed, and that's one of the games. I don't remember it in the arcade back in the 80's, but I really like it, now that I tried it. Actually, it kind of reminds me of Activision's Beamrider, which was supposed to be inspired by Tempest.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

GAIN GROUND -- enough said! It was a most unique combat/strategy game that wasn't received well in America, but still has a presence in Japanese arcades today. I thought it had very good graphics, for a game made in 1988.

I got my first taste of the game on a Genesis Plug-n-Play unit... and I was hooked. If it wasn't on clearance, I would have passed it up. I subsequently tried out the arcade version in MAME, and it was even better!

As for you "I, Robot" people... if you've even SEEN an "I, Robot" cabinet, you should consider yourself lucky. I understand that roughly 1,000 cabinets were made... and about 500 of those were shipped to Japan. Those machines which remained in the U.S. are now (presumably) in the hands of collectors... but legend has it that the exported "I, Robot" machines never made it to Japan -- it's been speculated that the ship sank with the cabinets onboard.

Edited by DrLove0378

• 2 weeks later...