Good arcade games that were not popular

Red 5

Bubbles

Sega's CrackDown (Genesis vers. exists)

Vindicators

Popeye (was it unpopular?)

Xybots

Wack-O

& call me ignorant, there was a Pitfall II arcade game? :?

EDIT: found it on Cinemarcade. Wow, I never knew...cool link.

Popeye was very popular. there was always a line for it when I went to play it.

Bubbles

Sega's CrackDown (Genesis vers. exists)

Vindicators

Popeye (was it unpopular?)

Xybots

Wack-O

& call me ignorant, there was a Pitfall II arcade game? :?

EDIT: found it on Cinemarcade. Wow, I never knew...cool link.

Popeye was very popular. there was always a line for it when I went to play it.

I guess it depended on what games were in the arcade at the time. In my local there was always a que for Mr Do, Tempest, Nemesis and Pacland so Popeye tended to gather dust in the corner ;)

Reactor was not a huge hit, but was a fave. I also loved the Exidy Crossbow game, Tin Star, Wild Western (I had one for some time, but nobody ever played it!!!), Sprint 2 and Drag Race (although it got popular when Crane ported it to the 2600).

I always dug Smokey Joe too. Not sure how unpopular my fav's were, but I don't think they are in any compilation CD now!

Cassidy

wow! i remember the crossbow game. if it's what i'm thinking of, i believe exidy put out other "crossbow" type games. a couple that come to mind was one that had a haunted house setting and the other took place in the wild west

• 3 weeks later...

Loved a few Tatio shoot em ups that were in my Jr. College Student Union in the early 80's.

Stratovox - which I believe was the very first arcade machine that used crude digital samples - if you could understand the scratchy audio - "We'll Be Back!"

Zarzon, a shooter Tatio licensed from SNK.

And I also liked Star Force .. which I think became more popular as a NES cart.

• 1 month later...

Some game where you have to save the falling eggs (the name eludes me at the moment)

That would be "Chicken Shift".... Love the game

... and Cameltry, I agree, is a truly overlooked gem. You should try playing it on a real spinner- it rocks!

A couple more that most people haven't played that I find truly enjoyable:

Ribbit!

New Zealand Story (bizzare)

Toobin

Timber (brother to Tapper)

Trog

Attax

Attax is awsome!

Time Pilot

Vindicators

Bosconian (Blast Off! and Battlestations)-I loved playing the table version of this at Show Biz/ChuckECheese back in the day.

There's another for which I can't recall the title. It was something like Kosmic Kaos or Cosmic Chaos (I think it was spelled with a k, two actually). It was a little like the 2600 homebrew Fall Down. It had platforms all across the screen (like Pick Axe Pete for the Odyssey 2) and they were moving. Each platform was simply a line that crossed the screen with a small opening in it somewhere. The object was to jump from platform to platform and not get squashed by bad guys or platforms while collecting bonus items. Does anyone remember this one?

Edited by littleman jack

I've always loved "Thief" They had one at the small bowling alley down the road from my house back in the 80's, and after school, I would drop tons of quarters in it. I haven't seen one in about 20 years, until I discoved one in one of my insurance client's warehouses. He gave it to me, and after putting $500 into it to get it working, it sits proudly in my gameroom! If you like Pac-Man style games, you should try it.

Did that game have a cassette in it for some of the sound effects? Different voices calling in, "Dispatch!" this and that....

• 5 weeks later...
Time Pilot

Vindicators

Bosconian (Blast Off! and Battlestations)-I loved playing the table version of this at Show Biz/ChuckECheese back in the day.

There's another for which I can't recall the title. It was something like Kosmic Kaos or Cosmic Chaos (I think it was spelled with a k, two actually). It was a little like the 2600 homebrew Fall Down. It had platforms all across the screen (like Pick Axe Pete for the Odyssey 2) and they were moving. Each platform was simply a line that crossed the screen with a small opening in it somewhere. The object was to jump from platform to platform and not get squashed by bad guys or platforms while collecting bonus items. Does anyone remember this one?

Kaos, by Game Plan. It's in MAME. I've only ever seen one of these machines, at Silver Castle in Grand Rapids MI, circa 1983.

Someone mentioned Laser Base. I know where a cocktail sits right now, rotting in a barn, home for mice :(

Some machines I've only seen one or two of, but enjoyed immensely:

Pioneer Balloon, in MAME. Only ever saw one; the Rock-Ola version, at J&R Supermarket back in '82.

Space Dungeon, also at Silver Castle.

Space Chaser, at Funway Freeway in GR, 1980

Cosmic Avenger, at a drug store in GR, 1983. Rocky, the owner of Goldmine Comics in GR, has one in his shop now. Only two I've ever seen.

Carnival, Funway Freeway, 1980

Eagle, Swiss Alps arcade in Rockford MI, 1984

Warp Warp, Silver Castle

Kram, some laundromat in GR, 1984

The Pit, Meijer, 1982

Reactor, also at Meijer

Astro Blaster, Rockford Lanes, 1982

Mazer Blazer, Funway Freeway, 1984

Quantum, Chez Ami, 1984

Star Hawk, Funway Freeway, 1980

Space Wars, Funway Freeway, 1980

Starship 1, Comet Lanes, 1978

Not a video, but 18 Wheeler by Midway, EM game, Comet Lanes

Computer Space, somewhere in California when I was really young, 1974ish. LOOOOVED this game and still do. Glad I found a simulator on the net :)

I'm sure there are tons more, but I can't think of them right now. Great games, all of them :)

Every now and then, I come across a great game that I have never heard of such as:

Cameltry

Bank Panic

Some game where you have to save the falling eggs (the name eludes me at the moment)

Anyone else have any favorites that weren't exactly 'famous'?

Vidicators was not too common, you gotta like tank games to dig it, I bought a used one 2 years ago. I really like it but my kids... well thats another story. They like the sit down racing games.

Time Pilot

Vindicators

Kaos, by Game Plan. It's in MAME. I've only ever seen one of these machines, at Silver Castle in Grand Rapids MI, circa 1983.

Someone mentioned Laser Base. I know where a cocktail sits right now, rotting in a barn, home for mice :(

Some machines I've only seen one or two of, but enjoyed immensely:

Pioneer Balloon, in MAME. Only ever saw one; the Rock-Ola version, at J&R Supermarket back in '82.

Space Dungeon, also at Silver Castle.

Space Chaser, at Funway Freeway in GR, 1980

Cosmic Avenger, at a drug store in GR, 1983. Rocky, the owner of Goldmine Comics in GR, has one in his shop now. Only two I've ever seen.

Carnival, Funway Freeway, 1980

Eagle, Swiss Alps arcade in Rockford MI, 1984

Warp Warp, Silver Castle

Kram, some laundromat in GR, 1984

The Pit, Meijer, 1982

Reactor, also at Meijer

Astro Blaster, Rockford Lanes, 1982

Mazer Blazer, Funway Freeway, 1984

Quantum, Chez Ami, 1984

Star Hawk, Funway Freeway, 1980

Space Wars, Funway Freeway, 1980

Starship 1, Comet Lanes, 1978

Not a video, but 18 Wheeler by Midway, EM game, Comet Lanes

Computer Space, somewhere in California when I was really young, 1974ish. LOOOOVED this game and still do. Glad I found a simulator on the net :)

I'm sure there are tons more, but I can't think of them right now. Great games, all of them :)

Where were the Funway Freeways located? That was where I got my start in arcades here in Columbus, Ohio?

Where were the Funway Freeways located? That was where I got my start in arcades here in Columbus, Ohio?

Grand Rapids, MI, in the outlot of Woodland Mall. It later became Fun Factory until it closed in the 90s sometime. Lots of great memories there...

There were a few other good ones that lasted a while. Someplace Else in Eastbrook (now Centerpointe) Mall, Alladin's Castle in North Kent Mall (now a strip mall with huge anchor stores), Putt Putt Golf & Games on 28th St (now torn down and lot used for an IHop and Bennigans), Fuzzy's Arcade (now called... get this... A DONG Market... I shit you not), Dave's Place (now a pizza joint), Dean's Cafe (now a Vietnamese restaurant), Meijer on 54th St (still there... arcade loooong gone), Showbiz Pizza (we all know what happened to those), Crazy Cone (still there, arcade loooong gone), and two of those Atari kiosk cabinets in Rogers Plaza Mall (had some bootlegs and some older Atari games. I also played a lot of games at Rollerworld (Skydiver, a couple of Atari pins, Crash, Steeplechase, Anti-Aircraft, Stunt Cycle, Circus, Space Invaders, and more older games), Woodland Skating (can't remember anything but Galaxian, but the arcade was quite large), Kentwood Arena (Crazy Climber, Tempest, Space Duel, Asteroids, Black Widow, Cosmic Monsters, Space Invaders, Atari Football, and more), Silver Castle, and quite a few more that slip my mind at this early hour (plus I just got out of the hospital... ugh).

Sorry if this strayed offtopic. After my ordeal tonight, I cherish those memories more than ever now...

Edited by Brian D. Deuel