IGNORED

Atari Games on Sony Ericsson Phones

Albert

/news/SonyEricsson.htmlSony Ericsson has teamed up with iFone and Synergenix to bring Atari games to mobile phones. This partnership will allow Sony Ericsson customers to download games from iFone's game catalog onto their cell phone. The iFone game library includes several classic Atari titles, including Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Gravitar, Pong, Tempest, and more. You can read the full press release here. Thanks to ClassicGaming.com for the news.

Cool info, Al.

In The Ericsson T68 (whi ch you've pictured in your post) there are already Defender and Quix and Tetris builted in !!!

Plus three other disposable games.

Such a pleasure to play some Quix when waiting for the evening train

This phone rulez !!!

That is one ugly looking phone, but I bet playing Defender on it beats out that crappy snake game anyday, or how about that incredibly boring matching game. You have no idea how many bored classrooms I was forced to play these games in and they only left me more bored and angry that I wasn't playing Atari!

I don't think that phone looks too bad, but personally I like phones small enough to keep in my pocket, like my Nokia 8260. Unfortunately the vibrating ringer in the phone has died, so unless I can get Nokia to replace it (it's already older than a year, so AT&T won't touch it), I'll have to buy a new phone. With all these cool phones coming out with color screens and the ability to play games, I'd rather not settle for another 8260, even though it's a great phone.

Is anyone here in the States actually offering some of these newer phones yet? Or are you guys in Europe getting all these cool toys first (as usual)?

..Al

Phones with games like that in them can get you in trouble. My cellphone has a few games in it like this one and one day while at work I went to use the restroom and started to play blackjack on the phone and before I knew it I had been in there for about 25 min, when I got back to my desk my boss asked me where I had been so I told him I was feeling sick and that maybe I should go home, all that just because my phone has games on it to play.

Albert said: I don't think that phone looks too bad, but personally I like phones small enough to keep in my pocket,  

And you're right this phone is not ugly (despite what some says, but they must have it in hand before saying things only seeing some pictures I think) and is tiny as a Nokia 82 series, plus the color and so on.

Truly this phone is a gem and I have it since it comes out: I have the chance to test a lot of phones and sometimes I keep one for a fair low price.

I'm (was) a big Nokia fan and always spit at bulky Ericsson phones, but with this T68, I rather change my mind. The little joystick to navigate in color menus is so cool, truly Nokia has been beaten on almost every point.

But if you wait some months, Sony-Ericsson will come out with their new P800 and that gonna be a major improvement you can believe me !!

Mobile phone games - why???? Why play games on a terrible screen with a terrible processor when you could just pack a GBA (or a lynx, whatever ) and get proper gaming on that. I use my phone for making calls.

The right tool for the right job, grief! It's like using a games console to play DVDs on or something mad like that

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Mobile phone games - why???? Why play games on a terrible screen with a terrible processor when you could just pack a GBA (or a lynx, whatever ) and get proper gaming on that. I use my phone for making calls.

The right tool for the right job, grief! It's like using a games console to play DVDs on or something mad like that

Screens and processors on cell phones are continuing to improve, and most of the games I've seen slated for these phones are pretty simple. I mean, the 2600 has a very slow processor by today's standards, with fairly primitive graphics capabilitie. But we all know some great games were produced on that platform. So I don't think it's really fair to criticize these phones on that point. As for screens, yes they are small, but they will continue to improve in pixel density, contrast and color.

To answer the question as to why you'd even want to play games on a cell phone vs. a dedicated portable gaming system: I carry my cell phone around with me just about everywhere, but I only bring a Gameboy or Lynx on trips where I know I'll have time to idle away. The great thing about having good games on your cell phone is they can keep you occupied when you find yourself with unexpected time to kill. I'm not going to carry my GBA around with me everywhere just because I might get stuck in a line somewhere, or someone doesn't show up on time at the restaurant, or because some doofus flipped over his car on the highway a mile up the road.

..Al

It is ugly. It looks like someone squished the keypad to make room for the screen, and its profile looks -- I'm sorry -- like a bottle of designer shampoo.

But I digress. I'll wait 'til the nice colour phones come down in price. The new Samsung, which is admittedly cool looking, is bloody $550 Canadian. (I can get it at $400, but that's still a big chunk just for a cell phone...)

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Yeah, but it just bugs me seeing EVERYONE in their teens and 20s all staring at their mobile phones all the damn time. I've never seen the world so obsessed with something so dull.

What they need to do is write software for these phones that allows you to input all your interests, and then when you're close to someone else whose interests are similar to yours, the one phone calls the other. I know there are gadgets like this in Japan, but cell phones seem like they'd be a cool extension of this premise, since a large number of people have cell phones.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

It
is
ugly. It looks like someone squished the keypad to make room for the screen, and its profile looks -- I'm sorry -- like a bottle of designer shampoo.

I haven't seen one in person, and I'm too lazy right now to go to Sony Ericsson's site to look at a larger picture of it. That phone certainly isn't as ugly as others I've seen. And anyway, it's all subjective. I think the one thing most people can agree is ugly is the Pontiac Aztec.

..Al

I have a Mitsubishi T250 with limited web features. The best web feature is having ebay. How many times have you been in a thrift store and found some game or accessory that you don't know if it's worth the price or might be rare? I can just search under completed items on ebay and find out how much it is worth.

I also like being able to check all my POP e-mail accounts from my phone.

-Paul

Ugly or not ugly that really subjective....and I don't care even if it's ugly as I use a phone for me, not for showing to every jerks I have a beautiful phone (!?). And truly compared to old bulky design from past, Ericsson has truly made a far better looking phone.

And as Al said better that I will, you carry your phone everywhere, everytime and when you got just 10 minutes to wait in your car on wifey or whatever, just take your phone and play some Defender is truly cool.....even if you prefer the Nokia design :-D

Ugly or not ugly that really subjective....and I don't care even if it's ugly as I use a phone for me, not for showing to every jerks I have a beautiful phone (!?). And truly compared to old bulky design from past, Ericsson has truly made a far better looking phone.

And as Al said better that I will, you carry your phone everywhere, everytime and when you got just 10 minutes to wait in your car on wifey or whatever, just take your phone and play some Defender is truly cool.....even if you prefer the Nokia design :-D