IGNORED

800XLF

kheller2

Curt's pages mention the 800XLF as a SECAM device briefly released in Europe. However, I've found a picture on some website that has a 800XLF with an RF modulator on the board. How many versions of the 800XLF are there?

I guess a better question would be how many version of the 800XL are there? I read a few posts that they were all called 800XL but inside some where Freddied, others secamed and still others with 128K.

Edited by kheller2

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

most european 800XL`s do not have a Freddy chip, they are standard 800XL computers. But some (approx. 25%-33%) do have that chip and thats why they are named 800XLF - this is a name given by the users, not by Atari, they still named it 800XL...

In recent times Atari had many "local" subsidiaries in foreign countries, like in Germany (called "Atari Deutschland"), in Benelux, in UK/GB, in France and most likely in other european countries too. Atari Deutschland released quite some A8 games in german language and because of that they were only available in Germany and nowhere else. Atari France did the same thing, they released french atari games and also changed international english Atari software (like f.e. Atari Writer) into french Atari software.

But: It appears that Atari France did something more than any other european Atari subsidiary, they also produced special (prototype, vaporware, ...) A8 hardware with some modifications. There are nowadays known modifications of the 800XL computer available (besides the above mentioned freddy chip)...

One of these rare modifications is an 800XL with a SCART connector (since Scart was developed in France and a standard there). It is really rare, still named 800XL and afaik ebay bidders spend more than 1000 Dollars for such a computer...

Another modification (maybe by Atari France, but more likely by Atari Corp. / USA) was an 800XL with 128kbytes RAM, it is still named 800XL but has two rows of 8k chips (16x 8k chips instead of one row with 8x 8k chips)...

It is unknown to me if there are combinations of these officially modified/different 800XL computers (with Freddy and/or Scart and/or 128k RAM) available or not. So my only hint is to open any european 800XL and take a look inside or take a look at its backside - but since the mentioned 800XL`s (except the ones with the Freddy chip) are very rare, it is quite unlikely you will ever see an 800XL with Scart or 128k RAM by random luck...

greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

I've never seen or heard of an Atari 800XL computer with more than 64KB in France but, AFAIK, all SECAM models have the FREDDIE chip.

This is what the board looks like on French SECAM models...

800secamrose.jpg

This is a PAL system...

800xlpalarriere.jpg

This is a French SECAM model...

800xlarriere.jpg

There's no use for the switch box and the monitor pinout is different...

PAL computers were also sold in France but you had to buy a special device for compatibility with SECAM-only TV sets.

Pictures taken from this site: http://mpc.fab.free.fr

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

• 6 years later...

Here is an interesting board:

http://www.old-computer.de/comp/einzcomp/at800xlf.htm

It is interesting for a couple of reasons..

1) It actually is marked "800XLF"

2) It has the Freddie power instability issue fixed described here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/185028-found-an-issue-on-instability-effects-on-a-800-xl-with-freddie/page__view__findpost__p__2327265

3) Its very very close to .. well.. something else that is very special and interesting.... :ponder:

Anyone with a PAL 800XLF, does your board look like this? I'd like to get one of these.

Karl

PS: I don't think all 800XL boxes with the rainbow shadow have freddie boards... I can't verify that, but I'm sure I saw one or two on ebay with the rainbow and wasn't a freddie board.

Does it make a technical difference to what games you could code on the XE but not the XL?

Never known of any commercial XE ONLY software myself

I think there's a couple programs that require 128K and separate Antic banking. That's the most XE-specific you can get.

Does it make a technical difference to what games you could code on the XE but not the XL?

Never known of any commercial XE ONLY software myself

I think there's a couple programs that require 128K and separate Antic banking. That's the most XE-specific you can get.

Reading up on the net it implies much faster graphics memory processing and therefore more sophisticated/faster code so I had to ask. I'm no expert :)

Just checked, unfortunately none of my remaining 800XL's have the freddy chip, I had a cull and sold off everything that was not fully socketed.

Also I remember a 65XE that passed through my hands had 900xl or 900xlf markings on the MB

Just checked, unfortunately none of my remaining 800XL's have the freddy chip, I had a cull and sold off everything that was not fully socketed.

Also I remember a 65XE that passed through my hands had 900xl or 900xlf markings on the MB

Yeah, the Freddie PAL board I have has no sockets at all... I've seen a couple of the 65XEs that had 900XL markings, appears that was an early board (But sadly I don't ahve any in my collection now)

Yeah, the Freddie PAL board I have has no sockets at all... I've seen a couple of the 65XEs that had 900XL markings, appears that was an early board (But sadly I don't ahve any in my collection now)

all my 65XE's have the 900XL printings :')

sloopy.

all my 65XE's have the 900XL printings :')

sloopy.

All? if you have an extra trade me for my regular board :P

I would really like to see a picture of a factory 128k 800XL motherboard..

Me too. I wonder if there really is a 128KB 800XL, is the bank-switching method compatible with the 130XE?

Or in other words, was the 130XE bank-switching developed in the Warner or Tramiel era?

Robert

Hi Karl,

http://www.old-compu...mp/at800xlf.htm

2) It has the Freddie power instability issue fixed described here: http://www.atariage....ost__p__2327265

3) Its very very close to .. well.. something else that is very special and interesting.... :ponder:

Anyone with a PAL 800XLF, does your board look like this? I'd like to get one of these.

Thanks for the link, very interesting. But I think, this is an pre-mass-production model, because the printout on the component´s side of the PCB has no ability to use a oscillator - there´s only place for a crystal.

All PAL 800 XLF I´ve ever seen (think about 10 pieces) have had the possibility to use a crystal or a oscillator. And all of them were marked with "800 XLF".

But never seen this model in the wild.

[Edit]: Another point... this model (shown in Karl´s link) has no Y/C output on the monitor jack like all other XE and PAL 800 XLF I´ve ever had in my hands. Clearly visible on pin 5 of the monitor jack: No connection ;)

Regards, Juergen

Edited by tf_hh

Hi Karl,

http://www.old-compu...mp/at800xlf.htm

2) It has the Freddie power instability issue fixed described here: http://www.atariage....ost__p__2327265

Thanks for the link, very interesting. But I think, this is an pre-mass-production model, because the printout on the component´s side of the PCB has no ability to use a oscillator - there´s only place for a crystal.

All PAL 800 XLF I´ve ever seen (think about 10 pieces) have had the possibility to use a crystal or a oscillator. And all of them were marked with "800 XLF".

But never seen this model in the wild.

Regards, Juergen

Actually, there are spots for Y1 and Y2 but no OSC. That link is REV R1 board dated 4/84

The XLF that orpheuswaking posted is the same board but REV R3 dated 9/84 and has OSC silks.

I believe there is a REV R4 dated in October of 84 by looking at the PCB Fabrication sheet for the 800XLF (C025925-001 board). I don't know if that is in the wild.

These boards, in my opinion, are the direct ancestors of the "130XE" .. dated 11/84

Edited by kheller2

• 3 years later...

Hi All.

amigaman07 here from Sunny Australia.

I have have owned Many ATARI Computers and Consoles over the years, and have Repaired more than i can remember.

In Fact, I currently own 15 Atari's in my collection, including a 7800, 3 Heavy Sixers (1978 Models), 3 Vaders and many Juniors (Early & Late Revisions).

I am a newby to your site / Forum, and joined because I also aquired an Atari XEGS.

I have never had one of these before, and believe they are related to the Atari 800.

I have the Keyboard with mine, but nothing else, No Power Supply, so am unable to Test it to see if Works!

It is in Mint condition, but for 3 Yellowed Keys on the Keyboard.

Q) What Power Supply do I require for the XE Game System, will a standars Atari 800XL Power Supply Fit & Work?

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by amigaman07