IGNORED

FB3...

800 computer in a 5200 case

I just need to wrap up some business through April 18-19 I will be free to more aggressively persue this with the resources in the community to make this happen for us.

Curt

Holy Crap!! :-o

You make that happen Curt (as an individual or corporate project) and you've sold six or so to me alone!! :lust: ;)

From what I understand, the FB3 is (or was to be) an Atari 400/800 clone. . .

800 computer in a 5200 case.

Thanks. Since the 5200 and 800 were supposed to be similar, maybe I'll finally get to play some of those 5200 games I always wanted to try.

Sounds like a really sweet piece of hardware. I wonder what it would have retailed for...

I hope that the community can get this done somehow...think of an AtariAge branded system :)

While that WOULD be cool, I don't think Atari Age would really have the resources to see it through.

Unless they only licensed the name.

Sounds like a really sweet piece of hardware. I wonder what it would have retailed for...

I hope that the community can get this done somehow...think of an AtariAge branded system :)

While that WOULD be cool, I don't think Atari Age would really have the resources to see it through.

Unless they only licensed the name.

Good thing they don't need to licence anything :)

Atari released the Atari 8bit chipset into PD for me several years ago, so any FB3 project at this point could very well turn into a PD or individual released project/product ;-)

I see my French lesson turned a few heads.

I know you were refering to Public Domain even before people explained what it meant. I was just jokingly adding what the term meant in a totally different language. (clash of culture! ha ha ha...funny, right?)

In any case, back to the topic on hand, this would have potential to be a very cool product. One use I thought up of was for parents buying a computer for their young children. Seeing as it would probably have a word processor and such, it could be used as an educational tool as well as a video gaming system at a very affordable price.

Edited by carpecarne

In any case, back to the topic on hand, this would have potential to be a very cool product. One use I thought up of was for parents buying a computer for their young children. Seeing as it would probably have a word processor and such, it could be used as an educational tool as well as a video gaming system at a very affordable price.
Don't forget the edutainment titles that are also available on the A8, not to mention Logo, PILOT, the built-in BASIC interpreter, and a bunch of other programs and learning tools that would be great for kids. My three-year-old niece loves using the Atari light pen and AtariGraphics on my XEGS whenever she comes to visit, so that's another example.

I really really hope the FB3 becomes a reality; there are any number of uses for a small, affordable A8 computer in today's world that go beyond playing old video games. Marketed as an edutainment system, it would certainly be a more attractive package than those VTech kid's computers that I've seen for about the same price (~$30 and up).

EDIT: Speaking of software, I'm wondering if Curt (or anyone else involved in the FB3 project) is at liberty to talk about the games that were going to be packed-in with the FB3. I'm just curious to know what kind of lineup Atari was planning, and if it included any third-party titles.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Atari released the Atari 8bit chipset into PD for me several years ago, so any FB3 project at this point could very well turn into a PD or individual released project/product ;-)

I wasn't referring to the technology, though. I was referring to the AtariAge name.

footprint for vga out

How is that supposed to work, anyway? Are you planning to run the GTIA's output through a framebuffer, or is the intent for modders to build their own signal converter?

Personally, I'm a big fan of routing the signal through a framebuffer first. The TIA and GTIA were competent chips for their time, but the signal quality just doesn't look that good on the precision of a modern LCD screen. (Though surprisingly, some of the LCD TVs I've seen do an excellent job of filtering out any jitter in the signal.) Placing a framebuffer in the way would allow for a much cleaner TV signal to be produced without compromising the original chipset design. Of course, it might also increase cost (approx. an additional 64K of RAM, +/- extra timing crystals, and a more complex SOC) so I can perfectly well understand if you don't use one. :)

footprint for vga out

How is that supposed to work, anyway? Are you planning to run the GTIA's output through a framebuffer, or is the intent for modders to build their own signal converter?

I’m not sure Curt anticipated the complications of getting a VGA output.

A modern PC monitor can’t sync as low as a TV horizontal frequency. So you’d need an integrated scan-doubler or otherwise you’ll need a very old VGA monitor (such as NEC 3D). Scan doublers are not chip, and I’m not aware of any scan doubler that works correctly with overscans, no so rarely used in the 800.

As jbanes suggests, it would be possible to produce the right signal at the “GTIA” level. That would be much simpler and cheaper than post-processing at the analog level. Still looks complicated and not very cheap. And still chances that overscan screens won’t look right.

Personally I’d prefer a SVHS (croma+luminance) output. And perhaps just make the digital video output available in the board for any possible user or aftermarket mod.

A modern PC monitor can’t sync as low as a TV horizontal frequency. So you’d need an integrated scan-doubler or otherwise you’ll need a very old VGA monitor (such as NEC 3D). Scan doublers are not chip, and I’m not aware of any scan doubler that works correctly with overscans, no so rarely used in the 800.

You'd probably need a scan doubler in addition to a scan converter. YUV output just won't look right on an RGB screen. That being said, a low-quality scan converter/doubler is not that expensive to build. It's the fancy interpolation doublers and hicolor converters that drive up the price. For a system that otherwise produces blocky images and low color, this isn't as much of an issue. :)

I wasn't referring to the technology, though. I was referring to the AtariAge name.

Ah ha! I misunderstood ya! :D

Holy crap on a candy cane. I'm not reading 17 pages. Can anyone recap what the FB3 was supposed to be like? Was it supposed to take existing cartridges or just those little memory sticks or maybe both? How about paddles? Would it finally have a separate place for paddles so we wouldn't have to unplug a joystick?

function keys/buttons along under the silver strip for pause, select, keypad, etc...

FB2 joystick usage

Front SD card slot acting as D1:

edge connector inside on board to solder an 800 cart connector to for legacy cartridge usage.

Built in SIO2PC connection port for transferring to/from console

footprint for SIO connector to be added

footprint for ps/2 keyboard connector

footprint for vga out

Composite out

Games included would've come on an SDcard

That was what was being shot for, much of the VHDL work on several of the chips went through first pass work and I have in fact tapped a few people from the community to help on the completion of the chipset and need to send out appropriate chip schem's on the 800 for some additional work to be done.

I just need to wrap up some business through April 18-19 I will be free to more aggressively persue this with the resources in the community to make this happen for us.

Curt

Now that's what I call the perfect FB3!

function keys/buttons along under the silver strip for pause, select, keypad, etc...

FB2 joystick usage

Front SD card slot acting as D1:

edge connector inside on board to solder an 800 cart connector to for legacy cartridge usage.

Built in SIO2PC connection port for transferring to/from console

footprint for SIO connector to be added

footprint for ps/2 keyboard connector

footprint for vga out

Composite out

Games included would've come on an SDcard

That was what was being shot for, much of the VHDL work on several of the chips went through first pass work and I have in fact tapped a few people from the community to help on the completion of the chipset and need to send out appropriate chip schem's on the 800 for some additional work to be done.

Curt

That sounds like one sweet, sweet piece of hardware. Question: would the 5200 unit be a "mini" of sorts, like the FB2? I always liked the design of the 5200, but it's so friggin big! If this goes forward as an independent project, it'd be great to have the 800 cart connector already built in. I'd imagine many enthusiasts would be into this, even with a higher price point.

Glenn,

You are referring to vendors with inventories that they retain in order to sell, also plastic & metal means nothing without truly understanding the people, time and work that went into their creation. What I meant was I have essentially what is the collective core of what was Atari's Intellectual Properties ontop of having an inventory of physical hardware/software assets.

Curt

I amassed most of the company over the last 20 years and essentially have what was Atari already.

For paperwork and protos, yeah, but you've got to give credit to Best Electronics for warehousing so much NOS Atari parts. And for NOS carts, there is O'Shea's.

Curt, will there be any chance of a PAL FB3 if the project comes to fruition? We missed out on the FB2 and I'm sure there is a sizeable market for PAL FB3 units in Australia and the UK.

I can't help out with the design etc, but float the idea of individuals coughing up monetary support to help "sponsor" development - would that help make the dream a reality?

• 2 weeks later...