IGNORED

Colony 7 - Release Candidate!

Cybergoth

Very cool, did you do the music?
Sort of. It's actually just a conversion of a C64 tune that seemed fitting :)
So it has nothing to do with the original arcade game (which I've never played or seen)? Just curious.

Yes, the arcade only has DAC shot and explosion samples, no music.

• 8 months later...
will you include all 3 weapons of the arcade-version, or at least the smart-bomb?
The smart-bomb will be there. Triggerable most likely via second Joystick, foot-pedals, Omega Booster Grip, Spy Hunter and Sega/Colecovision controllers.

I posted both a controller test tool and a Colony 7 binary with smartbombs in my blog:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2781

Unfortunately neither the extra buttons of standard SMS pads nor Coleco controllers work on the 2600. Segas "SG Commander" pad for the SMS and Genesis 3-Button pads will work though.

It would be cool to get some more feedback from people testing with other controllers or real Omega Booster Grip / Spy Hunter Controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working "some" on the game.

Besides the missing SFX and the fighter AI code - it's done! :D

Nice work - it looks great, though it is a bit difficult to play on a keyboard! Are you going to improve the title screen as it looks a bit sparse at the moment?

Chris

Sweet! :thumbsup:

A couple of notes on gameplay...

Some sort of "smart bombs remaining" indicator is needed, someplace. Maybe on the between-levels screens?

Also, it still requires the left difficulty switch to be on A in order to use the player-two joystick button for smart bombs.

Looking forward to the fighter AI being in place. They're a little... stupid right now. ;)

Some sort of "smart bombs remaining" indicator is needed, someplace. Maybe on the between-levels screens?

Done. (Have a closer look at what's happening at the bottom scenery when you use them... ;))

Also, it still requires the left difficulty switch to be on A in order to use the player-two joystick button for smart bombs.

Will fix that really soon now :)

Looking forward to the fighter AI being in place. They're a little... stupid right now. ;)

They allow for some interesting strategies now though :lol:

AWESOME! So glad you came back to this one. I'm pretty pervious to the arcade original, and I must agree with Nathan on this one: I think it definitely needs the enemy AI in place... But this is really, really good. I can't wait for the cart.

Whatever happened to Colonies 1-6? icon_wink.gif

Previous players failed to protect them! :D

Awesome job Cybergoth! Got up to level 7: 57,000. Lots of fun and looking forward to the final version!!! :)

225k+ here. The game tops out at level 9. But I was taking full advantage of the "AI". ;)

Really a great game! Hope to have it very soon on Cartridge :)

Because of the flickering in Stella I couldn't make a screenshot of the title screen :(

Here ya' go...

post-2641-1171748288_thumb.jpg

Actually I also wrote a preview of the game (in german)

So here's the link: Colony 7 Preview

I really like your website. How much traffic does it have?

Thanks! :cool: Traffic is quite good, but it could always be more as you know ;)

We're working hard on improving our site so if you got an interesting news or else to contribute, please drop us a line. ;)

Also thanks to jwierer for the info and Nathan for the shot

Hi guys!

Thanks for the kind words and great feedback all around!

Clever! So you have to protect your smart bombs, as well? Or can you use them even if those towers are destroyed?

Well, I guess you figured it by now, still for an answer: Those "cells" as IIRC the arcade calls it, are part of the defense system, so when they get destroyed they're unusable. Not my idea, but from those great Taito designers already. ;)

Really a great game! Hope to have it very soon on Cartridge :)

Some 2-3 months more I think. I hope I have everything done soon, so I can start into a real beta phase. I also need to contact Dave Exton and see how busy he is these days, I really hope he can work his magic once again on another label. :)

Actually I also wrote a preview of the game (in german)

So here's the link: Colony 7 Preview

Too kind, thanks again!

Whatever happened to Colonies 1-6? ;)

Anyone knowing wether the Arcade manual is available? At least the flyers don't reveal the answer to this question ;)

AWESOME! So glad you came back to this one. I'm pretty pervious to the arcade original, and I must agree with Nathan on this one: I think it definitely needs the enemy AI in place... But this is really, really good. I can't wait for the cart.

Thanks! I'll soon make the fighters AI / flight behaviour closer matching the Arcade original, though that won't necessarily make it much harder a game ;)

Too much fun, two thumbs up, it's kinda like atlantis, I like the writing on the title screen. Very Cool!

Nathan converted the logo for me - just like all enemy sprites! The 3D-ish effect of the logo was pure accident actually: When Nathan sent me the GFX and I implemented them, I set one offset of the blue or yellow part wrong, and with the undesired shift it looked 3D all by itself. I sent Nathan a demo of the bug in action and we both liked what we saw and just kept it that way :lol:

How do you trigger the smart bombs? I think I missed the explanation somewhere...

In this most recent version, you can

set the left difficulty switch to "B" for using a footpedal or fire on the second Joystick, or

set the left difficulty switch to "A" and plug in a Genesis, CD32 or Segas SG Commander controller

using the extra buttons on those.

(Or just hit 'N' in Z26 :ponder: ;))