IGNORED

Space Invaders/Phoenix any good?

sidcrowe

Is this any good?

I was wondering about Phoenix on it. The thing has such a long name, I thought I'd do a new topic. Sorry if it's already been done :sad:

Any good?

http://www.radicagames.com/index.cfm?event...84&categoryId=9

917610[/snapback]

I bought this especially for Phoenix, since its one of my favourite games. Both Phoenix and Space Invaders are good ports, not sure if they are exact or not. QiX is always fun. Don't care much for the other games on there...the joystick is pretty good quality too.

Worth the 10 bucks. The lunar rescue game is missing some sounds, and I think Phoenix is too, but SI and QIX are dead nuts on. True, It would make a good controller for the 2600/7800.

All we need now is a defender/stargate game in a stick with the right arcade control layout.

Radica? are you listening?

All we need now is a defender/stargate game in a stick with the right arcade control layout.

918017[/snapback]

Actually, I thought that Jakks had signed for the rights to these games, but they don't seem to be on the release list. Only Mortal Kombat is out from them.

It's quite possible the market for jurassic video games has had enough, since anyone who wants to play the Midway Arcade Classics can just buy a PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube.

That said, I would buy a Defender/Stargate game in a stick with the right arcade control layout in an instant. If they insisted on calling it "Defender II," as they seem to want to do, I'd hesitate for two instants, but I'd buy it anyway.

Hmm...it seems to be a good unit :|

918017[/snapback]

It's quite possible the market for jurassic video games has had enough, since anyone who wants to play the Midway Arcade Classics can just buy a PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube.

918074[/snapback]

True, but where else can you get Phoenix?

The Radica unit resembles (but is not a perfect copy of) the arcade version.

The only other places I know where you can play Phoenix are:

Atari 2600

MAME

Dreamcast

That's a huge part of the appeal of this unit for me. So many of the other plug & plays don't have much to offer when compared to Atari Anthology, Activision Anthology, Konami Arcade, Namco Museum, and Midway Arcade Treasures.

Like the Flashback 2, there's enough unique content on the SI unit to make it worthwhile. Especially for ten bucks!

I really like this joystick- I don't know why some people on these boards have called it a piece of crap. The only thing bad like was mentioned, is some missing sounds from Lunar Rescue. Lunar Rescue was the inspiration for the Atari 2600 homebrew "This Planet Sucks." Colony 7 was the inspiration for Imagic's Atlantis game. It's cool to see these obscure games get some attention, too. The other games play and look very close to the arcade versions. I bought this a year ago for $25, and I think it was worth it.

Hi there!

The only thing bad like was mentioned, is some missing sounds from Lunar Rescue.

I thought the game only has one single sound effect, the woowoowoo which is playing when the ship is thrusting. At least that's all sound it does in MAME.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

The only thing bad like was mentioned, is some missing sounds from Lunar Rescue.

I thought the game only has one single sound effect, the woowoowoo which is playing when the ship is thrusting. At least that's all sound it does in MAME.

Greetings,

Manuel

918505[/snapback]

Funny thing, that's the sound that is missing on the radica stick. Was kinda annoying anyway.

I played the thing last night, Phoenix did have all the sounds. QIX seemed ok, speed-wise, but the most recent version I have played is on my Atari 400. That version was lame, and even slower.

Actually, of all the games-on-a-stick, I think this one is probably the best one, with the Ms. Pac-Man stick coming in second. When I say I hacked mine into a 7800 stick, what I really mean is a bought a used one off ebay for cheap and modded that one. I still have one unmodded :)

918672[/snapback]

No that would have to goto the Commodore 64 DTV followed by Jakk's Namco Ms. Pac-Man and then Radica Space Invaders!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

Actually, of all the games-on-a-stick, I think this one is probably the best one, with the Ms. Pac-Man stick coming in second. When I say I hacked mine into a 7800 stick, what I really mean is a bought a used one off ebay for cheap and modded that one. I still have one unmodded :)

918672[/snapback]

No that would have to goto the Commodore 64 DTV followed by Jakk's Namco Ms. Pac-Man and then Radica Space Invaders!

918769[/snapback]

Stick the Atari Flashback 2 in second place and I'd agree with you. :)
It's $30 in Canada    :/

918974[/snapback]

Thirty little bitty Canadian dollars, though. :P It's worth it for this nice collection of games.

918672[/snapback]

918769[/snapback]

Stick the Atari Flashback 2 in second place and I'd agree with you. :)

919047[/snapback]

Oh, absolutely, but I thought we were only talking about "games-on-a-stick", here are my new rankings then!

1. Commodore 64 DTV

2. Atari Flashback 2 (2600)

3. Jakk's Namco Ms. Pac-Man

4. Radica Space Invaders

5. Atari Flashback (7800)

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

918672[/snapback]

So, Helmet (or anyone else with the capability)...

Could you be persuaded to mod one of those SI sticks for me? :)

It's not accurate speed-wise, but it plays and looks fine, and the controller is tops. Definately my fav jack stick, but then again, I've always like phoenix.

919291[/snapback]

I agree with the speed issue... Pheonix was always one of my favorites..

Anyone try the Gyruss on a stick???

Thirty little bitty Canadian dollars, though. :P It's worth it for this nice collection of games.

919047[/snapback]

OUCH! :D

As for Ebay. my first purchase, a video camera, turned out to be a nightmare, and that was with a seller with an excellent rating :(