IGNORED

Atari ST Monitor Questions

Tempest

I have a question. How much is a SM124 worth. I just bought a 1040ST online. The shipping is about 30 CAD difference in shipping costs. Which is about $25 USD.

So is it worth the extra $25 to get the monochrome monitor?

I already have 2 SC1224 monitors. I dont really need monochrome but I guess I can ask just for the monitor cable make a VGA cable. What do you guys think?

I have a question.  How much is a SM124 worth.  I just bought a 1040ST online.  The shipping is about 30 CAD difference in shipping costs.  Which is about $25 USD.

So is it worth the extra $25 to get the monochrome monitor?

I already have 2 SC1224 monitors.  I dont really need monochrome but I guess I can ask just for the monitor cable make a VGA cable.  What do you guys think?

955222[/snapback]

I've never owned a Monochrome monitor. I've never had or even felt, the need for one. Your needs might be quite different though. *if* I were working with productivity software, then it might be an option.

If I were you, I'd look at what I was doing. If I were doing DTP, database, etc, etc, then maybe it should be considered. If all I were doing was playing games, and maybe occasionlly something else, then I don't think I'd need it.

HTHs. :-)

I've never owned a Monochrome monitor. I've never had or even felt, the need for one. Your needs might be quite different though. *if* I were working with productivity software, then it might be an option.

If I were you, I'd look at what I was doing. If I were doing DTP, database, etc, etc, then maybe it should be considered. If all I were doing was playing games, and maybe occasionlly something else, then I don't think I'd need it.

HTHs. :-)

955266[/snapback]

I dont plan of using any productivity software. The shipping quote changed and its only $18 difference now. I will probably get it.

Thanks Darklord

• 7 months later...

OK, I just got my first ST. (Yeay Me!!!)

Anyway, it's a 1040 ST (Not M - Do I have to say STf or is the f implied? Anyway.. :)

I don't have an ST monitor.

Currenty, I'm outputting to an old Apple Monitor (composite), but since there's no M, I'm just pulling the RGB to the video and getting monochrome in lo and medium res. Nice to see the LGD, but it'd be nicer in green. :-)

Since I grew up (back in the day) with Amigas, I was considering getting another one (probably a 1200) and getting a 1084s if I can find one.

I know this monitor can be hooked up to the ST, but I haven't found any information on resolutions.

I was a bit suprised when I was researching the ST to find out about the hi-res requiring a seperate cable or switch on the cable.

Since the ST Hi-res is 640x400 and the 1084s supports that res (in interlace), is it possible for this monitor to handle all three with a cable and a switch? Or do I need to go to a multi-sync?

I like the 1084s for the stereo and video inputs it has. Would help save precious desk space. :-)

Anyway, thanx again.

desiv

p.s. I have no problems making my own cable...

Edited by desiv

Congrats, the ST is a great little machine :)

Since I grew up (back in the day) with Amigas, I was considering getting another one (probably a 1200) and getting a 1084s if I can find one.

I know this monitor can be hooked up to the ST, but I haven't found any information on resolutions.

I was a bit suprised when I was researching the ST to find out about the hi-res requiring a seperate cable or switch on the cable.

Yes, you would need either a seperate cable or a switch to toggle the hi-res mono detect. Building a custom cable from the ST 14(?) pin to the 1084 dsub or din is straight forward. The hard part is getting the ST plug or cable end.

Since the ST Hi-res is 640x400 and the 1084s supports that res (in interlace), is it possible for this monitor to handle all three with a cable and a switch? Or do I need to go to a multi-sync?

I like the 1084s for the stereo and video inputs it has. Would help save precious desk space. :-)

The 1084s cannot display the ST hi res mode, it's 640x400 non-interlaced. The 1084s are great monitors, I consider them the best of the old guard. I've got four of them now :)

Thanx for the info.

In that case (not being able to do 640x400 NI on a 1084s, which sounds right), has anyone used the hi-res mono "emulators" or whatever they are called?

The software that lets you use hi-res apps on a medium res screen I've read about..

Do they work? Are they acceptable? Compatibility? I don't know that I'd want to run alot of hi-res apps, but I'd hate to have to switch monitors just to do that.

As for the ST plug, I went through my junk cable drawer and found a 13 pin din to something cable.

Weird. I'd need to add a few pins in the right place, but should be no problem.

(Course, I have to get the monitor first. :-)

Thanx again,

desiv

Congrats, the ST is a great little machine :)

Yes, you would need either a seperate cable or a switch to toggle the hi-res mono detect. Building a custom cable from the ST 14(?) pin to the 1084 dsub or din is straight forward. The hard part is getting the ST plug or cable end.

The 1084s cannot display the ST hi res mode, it's 640x400 non-interlaced. The 1084s are great monitors, I consider them the best of the old guard. I've got four of them now :)

For Hi-res mode it usually easiest just to build an adapter to plug into a VGA monitor. Works great. :)

Mitch

Yep, I just don't want to have to mess with another monitor. The computer room is pretty crowded. And especially not 2 monitors for one computer. (At least as long as it can't use both at once. :-)

The Color composite has the Apple //e, the Vic20, the Adam, the TI99/4a and now the ST.

There are 3 PCs on 2 monitors.

There's the Vectrex

The TV has the NES, the O2 and the 3DO.

I'm thinking of making another space with 1 monitor to move the ST to, and eventually an Amiga, and maybe move the 3DO. (The TV is a 9" color)

Of course, if I were a woodworker, I could build better desk/shelves.. :-)

• 2 months later...

Actually, the JVC monitors were the first version of the SC1224. I always pick those up if I find them because they certainly are the best.

Are you sure? My SC1224 made in September 1985 by Goldstar.

It just died this past weekend.

R.I.P

SC1224

Sept 85-Aug-06

-Rick

• 4 months later...

Actually, the JVC monitors were the first version of the SC1224. I always pick those up if I find them because they certainly are the best.

Are you sure? My SC1224 made in September 1985 by Goldstar.

It just died this past weekend.

R.I.P

SC1224

Sept 85-Aug-06

-Rick

Could it be fixed or did it blow its little tube? I know it wouldnt be "economic" to fix but it would be gut renching to put anything with the Atari logo in the bin.

JW

Going back a bit, don't all of the mono monitors Atari used have the cable built in?

I had (and sold) my previous ST system with mono monitor, but was given a system a couple of years ago.

It has the mod done to it to shrink the rediculously large borders.

• 7 years later...

Finally got a working SC1224 monitor for my 1040STf (the first one I ordered was broken on arrival because the seller didn't pack it right...>_<), and loving it.

Question, though: What's the best way to arrange it in relation to the computer itself? I currently have it on a desk where there isn't physically enough room to have it behind the computer, so I have it off to the side, and I can just tell looking at it that it would be a bad idea to try to set it on top...what do you guys recommend? []

In the old days some ppl used things like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Monibase-Monitor-Swivel-Tilt-Stand-for-Atari-ST-Computers-/141188541553

They work ok, I have a couple. Also there are stands like shelves that can raise up the monitor and the computer slides under it. Hard to find one wide enough for an ST. I guess you could build one pretty easy out of wood.

Or do like I did when I was a kid, put the monitor up on a big pile of books! :-D

Yep I used the building my own from wood method, you need one pretty solid/ thick piece of wood which you then chop into 3 pieces, one long enough, plus a little extra for comfort, to go over top of ST and the other two for the long one to sit on and to lift your monitor to a suitable height, preferable with enough clearance to get behind for you to unplug things without reaching round the back. The wood should be wide enough for the monitor to site stably on, but not too wide as it makes getting at the ST a pain. I also cut a bit out on one side to allow the disk drive to be accessed without having to pull the ST forward all the time. If you get the top long enough there should be enough space for a small external hard drive or floppy to sit next to the monitor. The main thing is make sure the wood is strong enough to span the ST without bending.

• 2 months later...

I noticed this scanline doubler "15Khz RGB RGsB RGBS to VGA Scan Line Doubler Converter" on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/310413209763

It mentions 'Atari' and 15khz in the description, any idea if it has a chance of working with an ST? Obviously I'd have to make up a cable to give it the ST's RGB output.

e8y4uheg.jpg

ebete3am.jpg

Edited by galax

I noticed this scanline doubler "15Khz RGB RGsB RGBS to VGA Scan Line Doubler Converter" on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/310413209763

It mentions 'Atari' and 15khz in the description, any idea if it has a chance of working with an ST? Obviously I'd have to make up a cable to give it the ST's RGB output.

e8y4uheg.jpg

ebete3am.jpg

It may work, with the custom cable. I think I remember seeing someone over at Atari-forum used something like this with good results.

The problem as always here in the US is 50Hz. If you build the cable and it works great but doesn't like to switch to 50Hz for games and things, its very limited.

My cheapo 2 year old LG monitor works with 50Hz. To switch my PC to 50Hz I had to this I had to uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor can display, the monitor's on-screen info confirmed the change. I don't know how common this is.