IGNORED

Looking for asm code for tapping 2600 sound

TonyA

Hi,

I've just started learning assembly and I was wondering if anyone could refer me to some asm code that I could look at. Particularly code for tapping the 2600's sounds.

(Something I can see on my PC in a text file, etc.)

Thanks for any help and info.

Tony

Hi,

I've just started learning assembly and I was wondering if anyone could refer me to some asm code that I could look at. Particularly code for tapping the 2600's sounds.

Tony

922294[/snapback]

You'd have more responses if you posted this in the homebrew forum or the programming (for 2600) forum.

Here's some things to get you started, though.

Paul Slocum's Atari 2600 Music And Sound Programming Guide, which was designed for use with his Sequencer Kit.

Eckhard Stolberg's ATARI 2600 VCS SOUND FREQUENCY AND WAVEFORM GUIDE is essential for serious music-making.

Kirk Israel has written a little Music Basics document, as well as do re bB, a music guide (with a sample music routine) which is specifically designed as a guide for users of bBASIC but should be readable and applicable for assembly programmers.

"Tapping"??

Crazy idea here, but maybe you should pose this question in the 2600 programming forum.

922361[/snapback]

yes, "tapping", like when you say you want to "tap dat b*tch". That's how I'm using the word. (Sorry about the wrong post, I know it probably made you all neurotic, and have to rearrange all of your star wars figures even after you mom said you should wash your hands first.) <-- just joking with you.

Edited by TonyA

Hi,

Tony

922294[/snapback]

You'd have more responses if you posted this in the homebrew forum or the programming (for 2600) forum.

Here's some things to get you started, though.

Paul Slocum's Atari 2600 Music And Sound Programming Guide, which was designed for use with his Sequencer Kit.

Eckhard Stolberg's ATARI 2600 VCS SOUND FREQUENCY AND WAVEFORM GUIDE is essential for serious music-making.

Kirk Israel has written a little Music Basics document, as well as do re bB, a music guide (with a sample music routine) which is specifically designed as a guide for users of bBASIC but should be readable and applicable for assembly programmers.

922364[/snapback]

Hi,

Thanks for this info, I appreciate it very much. (Also sorry for the post in the worng place. I get very dizzy when I come to this site, I see "atari" and I get very dizzy from excitement.)

Thanks again,

Tony A

Particularly code for tapping the 2600's sounds.

923102[/snapback]

To make a tapping sound, set AUDC0 to zero and set AUDV0 alternately to zero and 15 [for loud tapping] or else zero and some smaller number [for quieter tapping]. Either of these will give a 'tick tock'-ish tapping sound, useful for things like footsteps (see Haunted House).

If you want a 'tick tick' sound rather than a 'tick tock', then you should set AUDC0 to zero and pretty quickly have AUDV0 count from 15 to zero (or some smaller number to zero). The count rate should probably be about once every 20 cycles or so. Counting too quickly will create a more subdued sound; counting too slowly will take an annoying amount of time and may also produce a slight 'squeal'.