IGNORED

Jaguar Video

peryton99

• 1 year later...
What is the Highest resolution that the Jaguar can reach?
If you want to display it on a TV (so 50 or 60 Hz, interlaced), 1400x486 @ 60 Hz and 1383x576 @ 50 Hz.

If you don't care about the refresh rate, then 1440x4096 interlaced... @ 9 Hz :D

I know the chip is named TOM, but what model number is the chip?
TOM is a custom chip designed by Atari, not an off-the-shelf IC. The model numbers are 6SC880HF / TC26SC880HS / SC414200 (quoted from this page on Best Electronic's website).

• 5 months later...
one of our jagware member managed to get around 1300x574 at 50hz

but I don't know if it's the maximum

Dont you have to alter the jag slightly or at least add something to it to get higher

horizontals than 800 across? Never tried to go higher than that. I never did because

I think the docs actually mention that you need to add something. Just asking.

:D

I would suppose that you what need to add at those resolutions is an actual RGB monitor, simply because NTSC doesn't have enough chroma resolution for more than about 480 across (maybe 512 with overscan) even if you use S-video.

I think I read in the Docs somewhere that anything over 800h pixels needs

a bit of extra something...i'll have to look.

The docs talk about a different mode that shifts out the video data at double the clock rate, and that requires external circuitry to decode the video since the functions of the output pins change.

Since you can set the pixel width as low as one clock, though, you can get the existing hardware to clock video out at much higher resolutions. You have to pull some tricks with the line buffer to get a sensible picture, though, at least in my experimentation. ;)

And yeah, a TV or low resolution monitor won't be able to display every pixel at those resolutions, but you can still see there is a difference.

Since you can set the pixel width as low as one clock, though, you can get the existing hardware to clock video out at much higher resolutions. You have to pull some tricks with the line buffer to get a sensible picture, though, at least in my experimentation. ;)
Indeed. If you want to display more than 720 pixels horizontally, you have to setup the OP to run twice per line, by using different values for HDB1 and HDB2. I made a small demo of this a while ago :

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?act=attac...post&id=149

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1