IGNORED

Whats your Dragster best time?

Nicewun

Well its been a while since I've seen a topic like this one.

Just yesterday I had pretty big session of Dragster and beat my all time best time . I think this is now my new all time favourite game

There has got to be alot of trust here as I cannot show proof of my time (Like a screen shot) as I cannot afford a digital camera yet I am assuming most other people will not have proof either.

So here it is my new best time: 6.08

What's your best time? Is a 5 second quarter mile possible? I am hanging to get into the 5's

hi,

when I was young, my best time was 6.08!!!!

I toke a picture of the screen but the picture was not good. I did not had a chance to send it to activision to get the dragster patch

Best time is 5.8X

I don't remember maybe 5.81 or 5.87 not sure....

I think that I will go play a couple game right now

http://members.aol.com/pbjurman/atariscores_a-l.html

Dragster is one of my FAVORITE games for the 2600! As recently as about 3-4 years ago (has it been that long?) I pulled it out when my family came to visit, and 5 adult men wasted a good several hours on that one game.

Yes, the graphics are laughable, but the controls are perfect. You can't resist trying one more time (or a hundred more times) to beat your score.

This game rocks!

The world record for Dragster is 5.51 by Todd Rogers.

INterestingly back when this first came out ATari did a computer simulated run to figure out what time a "perfect" run would produce. Rogers's time beat this "perfect" time. I forget what this "perfect" time was; I think it was 5.7something.

I've only played this game for about 10 minutes and got a 6.54. I don't like it but maybe that's because I can't figure out how to do it without blowing the engine up. LOL

The trick is to juggle the throttle with the shift. You've got to red line it and then shift just before it blows. If you can max out the red line without blowing it in each gear you can really pick up some speed. But I'm not the best at doing that so somebody else may have better advice.

Shifty Stan

yeah, that's a mad time. I wonder how many goes it took him. Its wierd, I've reached 5.74 about 10 times now, every time I play Dragster, I eventually peak at that exact time, but I've never beat it - if I can get 5.71 I'll be a happy man indeed.

The 7800 style pro-controllers are particularly well suited to dragster, really good for popping up those gears.

• 1 year later...
The world record for Dragster is 5.51 by Todd Rogers.  

INterestingly back when this first came out ATari did a computer simulated run to figure out what time a "perfect" run would produce. Rogers's time beat this "perfect" time.   I forget what this "perfect" time was; I think it was 5.7something.

I've only played this game for about 10 minutes and got a 6.54.   I don't like it but maybe that's because I can't figure out how to do it without blowing the engine up.  LOL

The simulated perfect run by Activision was 5.57. Todd beat this "perfect" score by not using first gear at all. Activision hadn't considered this. Their simulation only "max revved" in each gear, so Todd's score of 5.51 was proven to be true after being analyzed directly by the designers. He has a photo posted on another thread here showing a 5.54 run. You have to see it. There is also an in depth discussion of game strategy in that thread.

I hit 6.54 on the GBA today.  I don't recall doing much better than that.  I don’t think that I’ll ever end up getting that patch.   :(

Like DY mentioned there's another thread in here with golden tips to get your score under 6.00, I never got into Dragster because I sucked at it but after playing it for a few hours with these new tips I'm totally hooked. I first got 5.97, then I got better to 5.81, and now I'm down to 5.77.

And I'm gunning for the low scores to this day :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34156