IGNORED

Magicard 2600 cartridge for sale!!

Super-Genius!

Voting carts to be "the rarest" seems like a strange thing indeed. All the facts appear to support that Video Life is even rarer than Magicard.

What the poll has confirmed is that rare and most desireable do not always go together (same with Chase the Chuckwagon, much more desireable than rare - call it hyped, if you will)

Cheers,

Marco

Yeah, that very high. I have only see one time an Atari 2600 game that goes higher. This was the Telepathy Prototype. It has end at over 1400 US$ if I not wrong.

I hope I get it for 1 US$ on a fleamarket. The only probleme, it never release outside USA. So I will never get it.

Here are a few answers to the questions I have been getting on the Magicard.

1. Am I the original owner?

Yes I am, and in fact, I bought two of them. I have the first release, which needs repair. The first release was just a circuit board that plugged into the Atari 2600 slot. I think static electricity got it!

2. Does it just have a ROM like the other cartridges?

No, it does not. It has five "chips". Two of them are memory chips, which are of the same type. These are not being made anymore. It has an EPROM, which is a little different than the ROM chips you will find in the regular Atari cartridges. This chip is also no longer being made. The remaining two chips are 7400 series TTL components. But, the discontinued chips are available in the Timex Sinclair computer! I probably shouldn't say that, because the price of those may go up because I have to buy one to repair my other unit!

3. Was I able to write any programs with it?

Yes, I wrote quite a few and putting all modesty aside, a few of them were quite good! I have often thought about publishing them for everyone to enjoy.

4. How did I buy it?

If I remember correctly, it was only available through mail order. I purchased the first one, then about three months later I purchased the second one. I talked to the people at Computer Magic a few times. It seems to me, there were just two (people) of them. Sales of the MagiCard was not going well, so that is why they switched to the games.

quote:

Originally posted by markdil:

If I remember correctly, it was only available through mail order.

A store in Van Nuys California called G.A.M.E.S. offered it for $59.95. I still have the flyer where they have it listed (along with Cosmic Swarm & Room of Doom for $31.95 each).

Does anyone know who drkelly99@aol.com is? He or she has the current high bid of $1,001, almost making me spit out my Dr. Pepper. I would love to have a Magicard in my collection, especially with the manual, but wow. I can see that I'm going to have to work a little harder at my scheme to make millions with AtariAge so I can pony up the cash to win these rare gems on eBay.

..Al

albert, you mention dr. peppers quite often. i bet from all that money spent on dr. pepper you drank since the opening of the board, you could have bought a mgicard from it ...

specially if you count on top all those cans you've just spitted out in the last months

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

Publish! It would be a nice touch for anyone who owns a magicard, and who knows? Maybe they can add a feature to some emus to run magicard written games without having to type in the data everytime.

Actually z26 already does that. If you create a 4KB binary with the Magicard system ROM in the upper 2KB, then the first KB of this 4KB binary represents the Magicard RAM. So whatever you put in there will be in the RAM at startup. You only need to type in the address for the program start command. Of course you have to start z26 with the right command line switches to have the binary start up in Magicart mode.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

I feel proud enough to possess copies of the manual and overlay ... isn't magicard on sean's new multicart?

i'll have to try that, but it sounds like a big step to take before something playable will appear on my screen ...

i'd rather keep on working on my newest atari project.

there will be news in a week or so ....

greetings

Hello,

I am drkelly99@aol.com or David Kelly.

I am a collector of various games atari being one of the formats I collect.

I am new to the atariage board (well as a user). I usually read the boards, but figured I might as well jion in on some of the conversations.

Regarding the Magicard on ebay. I hopefully will be the winning bidder. My budget is alittle tight now,but hey its a MAGICARD and how often do they come up.

Anyhow, If anyone would like to know anymore please let me know. You have my eamil address ..

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

I feel proud enough to possess copies of the manual and overlay ... isn't magicard on sean's new multicart?

i'll have to try that, but it sounds like a big step to take before something playable will appear on my screen ...

i'd rather keep on working on my newest atari project.

there will be news in a week or so ....

greetings

That sounds promising, I await to see if you get anything good to come out of it.

Atariage doesn't ahve scans of the Overlays, I jsut noticed. Maybe you could scan them for us?

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

z26 rules. I would LOVE to play one of those Magicard games on my cuttle cart. If in fact they are even supported (probably with the commavid bankswitch technique).

Yes, the Cuttle Cart will emulate the Magicard in Commavid mode. You could download a .bin file containing the program already loaded into the appropriate RAM locations, just like z26.

Chad