IGNORED

Pitfall Harry's Lost Cavern Site??

Lemmi

And whats happen with Ben (Pitfall Harry)? I have look at old post and found nothing.

For example look here:

Topic: Track and Field VS Decathlon: who gets gold?

The last post they:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Here's Da Picture.

Ben

Thanks Ben! you da man!

OsBo

But I can't see any post from Ben there. On other topics the same.

Whats happen with him?

I have found an old topic where is a post of him, but it seems that many were deleted?

Topic: This is great!

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

• 3 weeks later...

He must have a very good reason. I mean, it takes a hell lot of time to delete so many posts.

Perhaps he has problems in his family and he had to promise his wife to stop collecting.

BTW: Are all of his posts gone or are there still some left? And what's his member-id?

For those curious about the diappearance of Pitfall Harry' Lost Videogame Cavern Website:

About a month ago, I discovered several of the files on my website (about 10 MB worth) had been deleted. Owing to an unfortunate coincidence of unpleasant emails I received at that same time, I had reason to believe that a spiteful someone who visits the AtariAge website had hacked my site and deleted my files. I lost over a hundred image scans and dozens of HTML pages, including my site's main index page. Admittedly, the unexpected losses put me in a foul mood.

Without thinking things through all too clearly, I went over to AtariAge and deleted all of my message posts before the same spiteful hacker could log in with my password and get the satisfaction of doing the same thing himself.

Only a few days ago did I find out what had really happened. A recent email from my web host provider, Tripod.com, clued me in that all subscribers of their FREE web accounts will have their allotted 25 MB of web space reduced to 20MB by the end of the month unless they start paying a small monthly fee for the extra space. For a little bit more per month they could get up to 50 MB of web space.

Wait a minute. I HAD 50 MB of web space, and it had always been free for me. I signed on as a charter memeber of Tripod, and the handful of subscribers who signed on with me at that time were given 50 MB of free web space. Apparently, Tripod (who has been sold twice since I signed on) no longer honors the extra free space privilidge it once extended to its charter members. So about a month ago and without warning, Tripod indiscriminantly deleted files from my account until, lo and behold, I was scaled back to the 25 MB standard free web user's account limit. A few emails with Tripod later, and I now know what has happened. My charter member status had been "retired." And for my excessive storage abuses, I had been duly penalized.

I am working on reconstructing my website. There is a considerable time investment involved and I am but a lone typist, so the going is slow. Slowing me further is this nasty unemployment thing I'm still struggling with. Understandably, my search for income is taking priority over re-establishing my website for the present. But from the ashes of Tripod, rest assured that one day soon Pitfall Harry's Lost Video Game Cavern shall rise again! And when it does, it will be bigger and better and just as overlooked as it has always been. And I promise that you will all be reading about it here first, from me, instead of from the rumor mill.

I apologize for my absence.

Ben

So first, I am happy that there is everything with you alright. And I am happy that this was no hacker who has do it.

But I am also unhappy that you lost your website.

I know what work is in such a site. For a long time I have a virus on my harddrive. It destroy all my html sites and much more. I have luck, that not more is happen, because when day and month = 13 then he will delete exe and dll files. But I have found it out that this is a virus, because he has make many stupid thinks with my computer (no background picture, many script errors and all was slow after some minutes).

I was so worrie, that I delete all infected files. Next day I found a programm who will help and delete only the virus in the files, but it was to late. So I lost all websites and other files (ca. 1900 files at all) that I saved on my harddrive.

I hope you have someting from your website on your computer, then you must not do so much.

Welcome back at AtariAge!

Im glad you are ok man. I was worried that you were having some problems that must have been pretty severe for you to give up on pitfall. If you need storage space to save any of your data, I have a small chunk of space ill gladly let you use. Its only 5 megs, but if you need it, drop me a line.

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you had with your website. I know I would be infuriated if my hosting provider started deleting files without even notifying me. My first suspicion would be hacking as well. I noticed that there are several copies of your site on web.archives.org. Have you tried retrieving any of the missing files from there yet? If you're looking for somewhere new to host the site, drop me a line and I'm sure we can help you out.

As for the email you deleted, we have backups of the site before you went on the purge, and I think it might be possible to restore those messages down the road. That is, if you would want them restored.

And good luck with the job hunting, hope you're able to find something soon.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

As for the email you deleted, we have backups of the site before you went on the purge, and I think it might be possible to restore those messages down the road. That is, if you would want them restored.

Oh, yes do so please, or our history will be crippled.

BTW: How long did it take to remove all messages (how many?)? Just in case, I'll have a reason for that too...

And wouldn't it be easier to ask Al for deleting?

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

You might need to use this to get to the main page of the WayBack...sometimes you might end up on a random site intended for pop-up.

Keep Java turned on and click on the link to display repeaters (to better your chances at finding everything).

Thanks for the link Nukey. I never knew such a thing existed. It has both of my websites and even my dad's .com site that has been gone for over a year.

Very odd place but I like it

Sorry to hear about Pitfall Harry and his site. I read some of these posts and now I'm worried about my site KaboomOnline. I thought it was pretty funny..I typed in KABOOM in the Yahoo search engine and my site was one of the first ones to pop up. I didn't even have to type in Atari Kaboom or anything. My point is that I like my site and now that lots of people can find it easily I hope it doesn't get deleted. I put alot of work into that website just because I like that atari game. Really sorry to hear about Pitfall Harrys site. HEY! maybe he's just moving the site. Maybe he's making PITFALL.COM! hmm probably not. That would be cool though. =) www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

Sincerely,

Mike Matei

have YOU played atari today?