IGNORED

Mega STe keyboard tips?

maginnis

Anyone have tips for cleaning / reparing a Mega STe keybd?  I was given this computer several years ago, sans keyboard and mouse.  I remember spending what I thought was quite a bit of money on a new keyboard - maybe $100, IIRC.  The machine was fired up a couple of times to verify that it worked and since then it has languished in disuse.  Two nights ago, I pulled it out and set it up again. 

At some point during those long, lonely nights in storage, the keyboard apparently failed.  I get no response with any keypresses and the mouse pointer does not move.  From what I have gathered, these keyboards are as expensive as I remember them being before, and somewhat hard to find.  I'll buy another one if I have to, but it just seems like such a waste.

So, does anyone have any thoughts or advice for repair options?  My soldering iron skills have faded into a fuzzy memory, but short of that, I'll gladly tear into a new learning experience.

From what I can tell, the setup is this:

Mega STe - label on the bottom says 2M, but the memory test at POST reports 4096k.

Atari SM124 monitor

2-button Champ mouse, model AD-T36, Amiga/Atari switch set to Atari.

TOS 2.06

With no way to interact directly with the machine, I don't see a way to dig deeper.

940468[/snapback]

The Atari MegaSTe and TT keyboards are very low quality and are known for having problems. I would suggest throwing that keyboard in the garbage and getting yourself an Atari MegaST keyboard. Like I always tell people, go for quality, not bragging rights. :roll:

942711[/snapback]

You know, you're doing a really big disservice to the Atari community by telling people to throw away these MegaSTe/TT keyboards. The external keyboards for the ST series are quite rare, in demand and in limited supply already. Reducing the supply (no matter what you think of the quality) will only hurt the ST community more as there would be more CPU boxes than keyboards. The CPU box by itself is pretty useless without a keyboard. There aren't nearly enough MegaST keyboards to cover all the MegaST, MegaSTe, TT, and other STs with keyboard adapters.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that others should throw it away. If you don't like them, just say so. But then to recommend throwing it away when other people WANT it, is quite extreme and is greatly frowned upon by the entire Atari community. :( :x

If anyone out there has an extra MegaSTe/TT keyboard they don't want, please don't listen to TheAtariKing. I (and I'm sure others) will gladly take it off their hand and put in to use or in a good home.

943244[/snapback]

Actually, I will go one step further, anyone that owns an Atari MegaSTe or TT should throw it in the garbage, not just the keyboard. They are the lowest quality Atari computers ever made and they do not deserve the Atari name. The following, in order of quality, are the best computers Atari ever produced: MegaST, 800XL, 520ST (external disk drive and power supply), 1040STe, and the Falcon. The following are the lowest quality and the worst Atari computers ever produced: MegaSTe, TT, and the 1200XL. :roll:

943269[/snapback]

Holy shit dude, I don't like to rag on people, I REALLY don't, unless they are being complete idiots, and I know we have had a recent "squable", but you have NO idea what the hell you are talking about, I have owned an 800xl, 130xe, 1040STf, 800, 1200xl, and a Mega STE, and I KNOW the quality of the 1200xl is great, I'd take it any day over an 800xl, I've had NO problems with my 1200xl EVER, and I always had problems with the 800xl when I owned it. Besides the 130xe keyboard, which only sucks becuase of it's "mushy" feel, I have never had a problem with it either. My Mega STE is very good quality overall, same with my 1200xl, 130xe and 800. Even my 1040stf is great except for the mushy feel of the keyboard. While you may be right about good quality of some of the systems you think are the "best" the ones you say are garbage and should be thrown away are fantastic systems. So bugger-off. :x :roll: The only thing with the XE and ST lines over all is the mushy keyboard; just the FEEL of it, my 130xe's "mushy" keyboard is 20 years old with nearly daily use in all those twenty years and I've never had a problem with it. You are right that they the feel of them isn't good, but they sure do last a long time. But keyboards aside, all Atari computers, in my experience, are of excellent quality as far as longevity goes. I've also owned an Amiga 2000, and a Macintosh powerPC, Wintel PC's, Vic20, TI 99/4A, C64 and C128 ALL of which I've had NUMEROUS problems with over the years with various things "breaking down" on them. My Atari's have all been up and running for many years without a single problem; it's one of the things I love about Atari computers and why I still prefer them over other brands.

944378[/snapback]

Actually, I do know what the hell I am talking about. Most of you guys do not. :roll:

By the time I am finished with it, The Atari ST Division of RetroGeek Computers will be the number one Atari ST website in the world. It is already in the top 10. If you do a search for Atari ST websites, you will discover that 99% of them SUCK ! So do not pick on a website or Atari Dealer that will be number one, you will only chop off your own necks.

Hmm I think the late Bill Hicks said it best when refering to doom (heheh) mongerers regarding the size of Sadam Husseins' army circa 1991 - i think its valid here.

People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big f****** drop-off. The Hari Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports."

So Mr Doomie - the fact that you are in the top 10 out of, hmm let me count, six(?) atari sites...... wow you must be doing well.

You are going to be the worlds biggest Atari Dealer??? Wow Amazing - please enlighten us about your cunning plan to bring down ebay! We'd love to know!

Dont worry we wont tell them the details, I expect to see them crushed within a week.

Anyone have tips for cleaning / reparing a Mega STe keybd?  I was given this computer several years ago, sans keyboard and mouse.  I remember spending what I thought was quite a bit of money on a new keyboard - maybe $100, IIRC.  The machine was fired up a couple of times to verify that it worked and since then it has languished in disuse.  Two nights ago, I pulled it out and set it up again. 

At some point during those long, lonely nights in storage, the keyboard apparently failed.  I get no response with any keypresses and the mouse pointer does not move.  From what I have gathered, these keyboards are as expensive as I remember them being before, and somewhat hard to find.  I'll buy another one if I have to, but it just seems like such a waste.

So, does anyone have any thoughts or advice for repair options?  My soldering iron skills have faded into a fuzzy memory, but short of that, I'll gladly tear into a new learning experience.

Mega STe - label on the bottom says 2M, but the memory test at POST reports 4096k.

Atari SM124 monitor

TOS 2.06

With no way to interact directly with the machine, I don't see a way to dig deeper.

940468[/snapback]

The Atari MegaSTe and TT keyboards are very low quality and are known for having problems. I would suggest throwing that keyboard in the garbage and getting yourself an Atari MegaST keyboard. Like I always tell people, go for quality, not bragging rights. :roll:

942711[/snapback]

You know, you're doing a really big disservice to the Atari community by telling people to throw away these MegaSTe/TT keyboards. The external keyboards for the ST series are quite rare, in demand and in limited supply already. Reducing the supply (no matter what you think of the quality) will only hurt the ST community more as there would be more CPU boxes than keyboards. The CPU box by itself is pretty useless without a keyboard. There aren't nearly enough MegaST keyboards to cover all the MegaST, MegaSTe, TT, and other STs with keyboard adapters.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that others should throw it away. If you don't like them, just say so. But then to recommend throwing it away when other people WANT it, is quite extreme and is greatly frowned upon by the entire Atari community. :( :x

If anyone out there has an extra MegaSTe/TT keyboard they don't want, please don't listen to TheAtariKing. I (and I'm sure others) will gladly take it off their hand and put in to use or in a good home.

943244[/snapback]

Actually, I will go one step further, anyone that owns an Atari MegaSTe or TT should throw it in the garbage, not just the keyboard. They are the lowest quality Atari computers ever made and they do not deserve the Atari name. The following, in order of quality, are the best computers Atari ever produced: MegaST, 800XL, 520ST (external disk drive and power supply), 1040STe, and the Falcon. The following are the lowest quality and the worst Atari computers ever produced: MegaSTe, TT, and the 1200XL. :roll:

943269[/snapback]

Holy shit dude, I don't like to rag on people, I REALLY don't, unless they are being complete idiots, and I know we have had a recent "squable", but you have NO idea what the hell you are talking about, I have owned an 800xl, 130xe, 1040STf, 800, 1200xl, and a Mega STE, and I KNOW the quality of the 1200xl is great, I'd take it any day over an 800xl, I've had NO problems with my 1200xl EVER, and I always had problems with the 800xl when I owned it. Besides the 130xe keyboard, which only sucks becuase of it's "mushy" feel, I have never had a problem with it either. My Mega STE is very good quality overall, same with my 1200xl, 130xe and 800. Even my 1040stf is great except for the mushy feel of the keyboard. While you may be right about good quality of some of the systems you think are the "best" the ones you say are garbage and should be thrown away are fantastic systems. So bugger-off. :x :roll: The only thing with the XE and ST lines over all is the mushy keyboard; just the FEEL of it, my 130xe's "mushy" keyboard is 20 years old with nearly daily use in all those twenty years and I've never had a problem with it. You are right that they the feel of them isn't good, but they sure do last a long time. But keyboards aside, all Atari computers, in my experience, are of excellent quality as far as longevity goes. I've also owned an Amiga 2000, and a Macintosh powerPC, Wintel PC's, Vic20, TI 99/4A, C64 and C128 ALL of which I've had NUMEROUS problems with over the years with various things "breaking down" on them. My Atari's have all been up and running for many years without a single problem; it's one of the things I love about Atari computers and why I still prefer them over other brands.

944378[/snapback]

Actually, I do know what the hell I am talking about. Most of you guys do not. :roll:

945739[/snapback]

Man, you really are delusional if you assume for one second that you know more than me about Atari's and ST's specifically. Just from what you write in posts on AA, I can tell you don't no jack shit...compared to me. Whatever though, the only person who believes you is you. But it's all good, I won't have to listen to your rantings anymore as I'm putting you on my ignore list as soon as I post this response. See-ya, wouldn't want to be-ya! Bye-bye!

Atari SM124 monitor

TOS 2.06

940468[/snapback]

942711[/snapback]

943244[/snapback]

943269[/snapback]

944378[/snapback]

945739[/snapback]

Man, you really are delusional if you assume for one second that you know more than me about Atari's and ST's specifically. Just from what you write in posts on AA, I can tell you don't no jack shit...compared to me. Whatever though, the only person who believes you is you. But it's all good, I won't have to listen to your rantings anymore as I'm putting you on my ignore list as soon as I post this response. See-ya, wouldn't want to be-ya! Bye-bye!

945922[/snapback]

Yes, talk shit then go and run away (by putting me on ignore). You sound like a PUNK ! :x

By the time I am finished with it, The Atari ST Division of RetroGeek Computers will be the number one Atari ST website in the world. It is already in the top 10. If you do a search for Atari ST websites, you will discover that 99% of them SUCK ! So do not pick on a website or Atari Dealer that will be number one, you will only chop off your own necks.

Hmm I think the late Bill Hicks said it best when refering to doom (heheh) mongerers regarding the size of Sadam Husseins' army circa 1991 - i think its valid here.

People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big f****** drop-off. The Hari Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports."

So Mr Doomie - the fact that you are in the top 10 out of, hmm let me count, six(?) atari sites...... wow you must be doing well.

You are going to be the worlds biggest Atari Dealer??? Wow Amazing - please enlighten us about your cunning plan to bring down ebay! We'd love to know!

Dont worry we wont tell them the details, I expect to see them crushed within a week.

945905[/snapback]

eBay does not repair, upgrade, or support the Atari ST computers, I do. :D

Umm right -

Price of STE on ebay - 6 shillings and a kiss

Cost of 4x1Mb Simm - sixpence, or free if you know where to look.

Umm other upgrades............... right, that many eh!

Fixing broken STF/FM etc - take off lid and push chips home - free!

Or if totally borked, fumble down back of sofa for 6 shillings and buy second hand STE on ebay. Most STEs I find these days are already maxed out to 4Mb anyway.

Most folk who still give a hoot about STs are conversant enough with a screwdriver to work all the above out for themselves, with guidance from the forums if needed. In any case you usually find folk willing to post hardware free to other users in trouble on these forums - like me, I sent a ram upgrade and a self reconditioned mouse off to a user in trouble just this week - for free. I suppose that cuts into your market - dreadfully sorry old bean, its a swine of a life.

Next time I am back in the UK I am clearing out my collection of 4Mb STEs to anyone willing to pay the postage - cost for the hardware? Nowt!

I hope your prices are competitive squire !! :D

As for support - the forums give that out for free too. Your business model is hardly a goldmine.

Factor in postage for machines in need of TLC and the price blows out to 10 to maybe 100 times what it costs to buy a working one locally. The profit point was eroded over a decade ago.

Edited by Womble76

The only thing "stolen" is the template, but the website itself is my creation. By the time I am finished with it, The Atari ST Division of RetroGeek Computers will be the number one Atari ST website in the world. It is already in the top 10. If you do a search for Atari ST websites, you will discover that 99% of them SUCK ! So do not pick on a website or Atari Dealer that will be number one, you will only chop off your own necks. 

Oh my god .. does your ego know no bounds?

You can't code a proper website, let alone set up a proper domain and use a proper template (I mean there are *thousands* out there in PHP-land) so you steal someone else's and claim it as your own because all you've done is change a few pages!

Erm .. isn't that fencing by any other name?

"Here's some AtariKings handbags ladies, they look like Gucci that's because they are from the "same factory" as Gucci (I nicked them last night) and I'm offering them to you as AtariKing bags because that's a better quality name (nothing to do with me changing the name on the clasp). All my own design handbag. 101% Original AtariKing handbags. Come on ladies .. handbags, get yer AtariKing handbags here."

Oh yes, back to all seriousness. Have you really researched your "Top 10" bull$hit claim or, is it like all of your other posts and based on pure hot air.

I use Google (a small insignificant search engine compared to whatever it is you've written, of course) and your site appears NOWHERE in the Top 10. Which search engine are you using? If it's that good, I expect Google, Yahoo and MSN to be knocking on your door soon!

Oh, and for anyone else dumb enough to believe his outpourings, check out all the other forums he's banned from besides Atari Forum. There's more than enough Amiga people sick to the back teeth of his bile :)

The only service you do is to entertain people with your crap .. and I won't adding you to any ban list as that would mean you'd only turn up again here or there on any other forum. If only common sense could get through to your ego and tell you to stop .. but I doubt it.

Edited by muguk

And another pile of bull on your website that needs editing matey!

The Mods are Atari ST produced Mods, which are 3 channel.  Amiga made Mods are 4 channel and usually sound like crap when played on a standard Atari ST computer

All MODs are 4 channel - and upwards depending on the processing power of the machine they're running on!

3 channel MOD's - hahahahahaha - try doing some research before you write anything on your website and we won't pick holes in your "expertise" !!

The only reason they sound "crap" on a standard Atari ST is down to lack of custom chips, but of course I daresay your own soundtracker replay routine (which only does 3 channel MODs) is a most excellent piece of 68000 code that the demo groups in the ST Scene are desperate to get hold of :)

eBay does not repair, upgrade, or support the Atari ST computers, I do.

Wow TheAtariKingDoomMaster..... you must learn quick...on the 18th of September:

I just installed Rainbow TOS in my Atari MegaST4 computer. Now it will not boot up. The original TOS was on 2 chips, Rainbow TOS is on 6 chips. How do I get it to work? There are 6 IC sockets on the motherboard, so there has to be a way to get it to work. Also, I have seen MegaSTs with 6 TOS 1.2 chips
Edited by baz

I think it's about time someone stood up for TheAtariKing, after all you lot have been saying nasty things about him.

I've not had the pleasure of meeting anyone else on the internet who is more kind and helpful than this fellow.(1)(2) The service he provides to the Atari community is second to none (3), and everywhere I look online, people only have great things to say about you (4). There was even someone who took the trouble to join the Atari Forum website just to post a comment about how happy they were about the service they received from him. (5)

One quick look at his website will tell you what a professional he really is. I don't believe for a minute that you stole that website, and I'm going to write a really stern email to the guy who runs that website that looks just like yours (6) and tell him to stop copying your fantastic layout.

BTW, I was a bit confused about the name of your site - RetroGreek - With a name like George, I didn't think you sounded like you were from Greece, but one look at that picture of you from the 80's makes everything clear. I knew someone who owned a greek takeaway - Stavros was his name, do you know him? Anyway, he had a mustache just like that. (7)

So, I was looking at your site, and admiring your collection of Atari computers. I like the touch of the flowers in the vase, I assume they were put there by the woman you live with, perhaps your mother, or wife, or your sister? (8). Anyway, it's great yo see your Mega 4 is running TOS 1.4 now. You really know your stuff.

Dude, I totally agree with your plans to make the best Atari ST website in the world. Comparing the site to something like www.atarilegend.com, it's easy to see who the true professionals are. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that if I search on Google for "atari st", your site doesn't even appear in the top 100 sites. Strange, because as you say, you're already in the top 10. Even more odd, I searched for "retrogeek computers" and Google found no sites at all. Are you sure you're in the top 10? You obviously know a thing or two about these things, so I assume that it's Google's mistake.

Keep up the good work, you must be well on your way to your first million by now.

(1) (Except perhaps for your comments here)

(2) (Oh yeah, and here)

(3) I.e No support is better than the support from this guy.

(4) Except perhaps for all the comments from people who've ordered stuff from you (trading as DoomMaster, or RetroGeek), either on atari forums or via ebay, and haven't had the stuff delivered.

(5) The only problem is, that person was YOU!

(6) Atari STe Fanpage

(7) I know, I know :D

(8) For all we know, they're the same person!

eBay does not repair, upgrade, or support the Atari ST computers, I do.

Wow TheAtariKingDoomMaster..... you must learn quick...on the 18th of September:

I just installed Rainbow TOS in my Atari MegaST4 computer. Now it will not boot up. The original TOS was on 2 chips, Rainbow TOS is on 6 chips. How do I get it to work? There are 6 IC sockets on the motherboard, so there has to be a way to get it to work. Also, I have seen MegaSTs with 6 TOS 1.2 chips

946379[/snapback]

Well, as a matter of fact, I do learn very quickly. And after I did the 6-chip Rainbow TOS upgrade, I was nice enough to take before and after pics and put them up on my website, so that other people will not have to go through what I went through. They can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~retrogeek/megast.htm

And below is a higher res picture:

post-7746-1129106898_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions (before this devolved into a flame war). Looks like I'm going to have to shell out the ~$100 for a new keyboard if I want a working Mega STe. I'm not sure that's worth it, though, since I know next to nothing about this (or any) Atari - maybe I'll just eBay it as is...

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out the ~$100 for a new keyboard if I want a working Mega STe.

On eBay Germany you get those keyboards for a few euros.

On eBay UK I think so as well.

I'm not sure about pricing at Best, 16/32 Systems or other hardware vendors.

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out the ~$100 for a new keyboard if I want a working Mega STe.

On eBay Germany you get those keyboards for a few euros.

On eBay UK I think so as well.

I'm not sure about pricing at Best, 16/32 Systems or other hardware vendors.

947638[/snapback]

Thanks for the pointer - I'll check the eBay sites...