IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 12: Thrust

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

The Resistance is about to launch a major offensive against the Intergalactic Empire. In preparation for this, we have captured several battle-grade starships, all we lack are the essential power sources for these formidable craft, Klystron Pods. The Resistance would like to commision you, Captain, to retrieve these pods from the Empire's stockade planets, but danger awaits, because this weeks game is Thrust!

Note: Since all released versions of Thrust apparently feature the same scoring system, scores from all versions will be accepted.

Game Information

• Game Name: Thrust, Thrust+ DC Edition, Thrust+ Platinum
  • Released By: XYPE (Thomas Jentzsch), 2000-2003
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - Normal Difficulty
  • Control Method: Your choice.
  • Chosen By: supercat

In case you don't already own this game, I highly recommend you purchase it from the AtariAge store! Of course, the ROM is still available to download so that you can still play while the cartridge is on the way.

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Oct 11th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Osbo! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 192,350 (bjk7382) [+11]
  2. 64,350 (Robert M) [+10]
  3. 60,750 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 36,500 (vdub_bobby) [+8]
    36,500 (supercat) [+8]
  5. 43,850 (Malc74) [+7]
  6. 27,350 (keilbaca) [+6]
  7. 26,500 (silverpoodleman) [+5]
  8. 20,550 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 12,150 (D.Yancey) [+3]
  10. 11,050 (Omegamatrix) [+2]
  11. 6550 (durden26) [+1]
  12. 4450 (khryssun) [+1]
  13. 900 (mitsubachi) [+1]

Best Tips

• vdub_bobby [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Settings)
  1. 10,700 (David B Yancey)

Current Standings

1. SpiceWare [96]
  2. keilbaca [89]
  3. the 5th ghost [66]
  4. shadow460 [56]
  5. sku_u [53]
  6. khryssun [46]
  7. LarcenTyler [35]
  8. durden26 [30]
  9. Keir [27]
  10. Numan [24]
  11. panda_racer [23]
  12. Goochman [23]
  13. Christophero Sly [22]
  14. Mad Scientist [17]
  15. mitsubachi [15]
  16. vgcollector666 [15]
  17. Recycled [15]
  18. vdub_bobby [15]
  19. D.Yancey [15]
  20. neotokeo2001 [14]
  21. xeex [13]
  22. Omegamatrix [13]
  23. scogey [13]
  • brendano [12]
  • silverpoodleman [12]
  • supercat [11]
  • Malc74 [11]
  • Robert M [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • homerwannabee [10]
  • Dones [10]
  • Fellow Atari Man [8]
  • 128bytes [7]
  • arlo [6]
  • gospeedde [5]
  • davepesc [4]
  • video game addict [4]
  • Cybergoth [4]
  • FireTiger [3]
  • Atarifever [3]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [2]
  • Dan Iacovelli [2]
  • Gateway [1]
  • StanJr [1]
  • Luigi301 [1]

Member List

Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman

Scoring Points in Thrust

• Destroying a Limpet Gun - 750 points
  • Destroying a Fuel Cell - 150 points
  • Refuelling from Cell - 300 points
  • Bonus for Mission Complete - Varies
  • Bonus for Destroying Planet - 2000 points
  • Mission Failure - 0 points
  • An extra ship is awarded every 10,000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? AtariAge has a typed copy of the (original) Thrust manual, and a scanned copy of the Thrust+ DC Edition manual. The manual itself doesn't provide any specific hints, but as this is a somewhat complicated game, it pays to learn the intricacies of it.

My tips:

Go slow. Wild, uncontrolled, careening all over the place is deadly.

Take out all the guns on the way down. Trying to coax the swinging pod off the planet is hard enough without dodging enemy fire.

On a related note, hit the reactor a bunch of times (but not too many!) before heading underground. Then, on your way out, hit it the final few times to destroy the planet and blast off to safety. It can be difficult to hit the reactor the 10+ times to destroy it while the pod is hanging off your backside. If you only have to hit it 2 or 3 times with the pod, you'll be better off. And don't shoot the pod!

Learn the controls! Especially learn to thrust with the fire button while using your tractor beam.

Good luck everyone!

A couple tips:

-Let the gravity move you most of the time, don't try to hurry or you will find yourself dying alot. Only thrust enough to get you moving in the direction you want to be going and then move your ship the opposite way in preparation for the slowdown when you get over where you want to be.

-Maybe download and watch parts of my video in my signature. (If you have a high speed connection)

-And if you are fast enough with the pause switch you can pause it right after you last guy and get a picture of the ending level number also (including the game number played before the score)

A few tips for anyone still playing (useful even after the contest is over):

(1) Don't try to dodge enemy shots. That's what your shield is for. Always be ready to use it.

(2) If you have a booster grip, you can use that for thrust and still be able to pull back for shield.

(3) Learn to engage the shield and then use the fire button to control your thrust (unless you have a booster grip or, better yet, the foot pedal controller).

(4) The klystron pod will not register a collision with the nuclear reactor or other sprite objects other than missiles, so don't panic if it seems to be swinging wildly toward one of those things--just keep it clear of the ground.

--Ze_ro

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are any differences in the scoring systems of the multiple releases of Thrust? As long as the scoring is the same, then I have no objections to scores from the previous versions being submitted.

--Zero

My tips:

Go slow. Wild, uncontrolled, careening all over the place is deadly.

Take out all the guns on the way down. Trying to coax the swinging pod off the planet is hard enough without dodging enemy fire.

On a related note, hit the reactor a bunch of times (but not too many!) before heading underground. Then, on your way out, hit it the final few times to destroy the planet and blast off to safety. It can be difficult to hit the reactor the 10+ times to destroy it while the pod is hanging off your backside. If you only have to hit it 2 or 3 times with the pod, you'll be better off. And don't shoot the pod!

Learn the controls! Especially learn to thrust with the fire button while using your tractor beam.

And AA has a HTML manual for Thrust (no plus, no platinum) and a scanned copy of the manual for Thrust+ DC Edition.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are any differences in the scoring systems of the multiple releases of Thrust? As long as the scoring is the same, then I have no objections to scores from the previous versions being submitted.

--Zero

942132[/snapback]

I believe that the only additions to the platnum version was the title music, and some other sound effects for the ship returning. EDIT: I just read the original thrust contest thread and it says versions before 1.2 aren't complete. So I believe that versions from 1.2 to platnum are the same as far as gameplay and scoreing go. But I will let Thomas confirm this.

:!: The left difficulty should be set to "B" when you start your game. This is because it is used for the pause feature and if you set it to "A" when you turn your system on it will be in the pause mode when you get past level 6. If you still have the switch to A the game will freeze and will look like it is locked up, but it is only on pause, so set the left difficulty to "B" before you start (or even turn your system on for that matter)

Also, I don't think you guys are going to like how it displays scores past 100K. It cuts the first numer off after you go past 100K.

It is kind of hard to explain, so here is my score of 134,050. It will add 10 to the last numbers for every 100K you roll over. So if my score read 34070, it would have been a score of 234,050.

This game is a work of art and deserves to be played by all.

A couple tips:

-Let the gravity move you most of the time, don't try to hurry or you will find yourself dying alot. Only thrust enough to get you moving in the direction you want to be going and then move your ship the opposite way in preparation for the slowdown when you get over where you want to be.

-Maybe download and watch parts of my video in my signature. (If you have a high speed connection)

-And if you are fast enough with the pause switch you can pause it right after you last guy and get a picture of the ending level number also (including the game number played before the score)

post-3803-1128442771_thumb.jpg

Edited by bjk7382

I haven't read through all the posts so far in this thread so I hope I'm not recovering the same ground, but can someone suggest the best joystick/paddle to use when playing this game? The instructions that come with the game give four different options. I have everything but the footpad thing-y.

So, simply, which option is the best?

UUUHHHH, yeah, I started to play a game and then had to answer the telephone.  When I got done with the call, all my ships were destroyed.  So, my first attempt this week is zero! :P

942585[/snapback]

The left difficulty switch doesn't work on your system?

And for anyone who cares, I use a modified nes controller on this game.

Edited by bjk7382