IGNORED

Soul Star

edsongodoy

The version I own has only glitches on level 2 I believe, but each level is still beatable including level 2.

I haven't played it in forever I'll pop it in the Jag CD today and see how far I can get, not sure how many levels I believe I only played to level 3 honestly, I don't recall.

It's a bummer an actual release didn't happen, but the copy I own is definitely playable, and fun!

• Like 1

@KidGameR186496:I was given a full and lengthy breakdown of who had owned rights for European and USA versions of Soul Star and at what points and who they had been bought out by and thus who new holders were, which i passed onto the the party interested in finding out if a release ever would be possible, but......

That was many a month ago and only related to Soul Star itself, as for who now owns what....
I honestly could not even attempt to answer that...nor give anyone the details of Soul Star I.P rights as i deleted emails once i'd passed info on.
Seemed no point keeping them, we had our answers.,,situation was bleak.
Jeremy Heath Smith etc would be better placed to answer if anyone can reach him?.
  • Like 1

The version I own has only glitches on level 2 I believe, but each level is still beatable including level 2.

I haven't played it in forever I'll pop it in the Jag CD today and see how far I can get, not sure how many levels I believe I only played to level 3 honestly, I don't recall.

It's a bummer an actual release didn't happen, but the copy I own is definitely playable, and fun!

Yeah, the good news is that pretty much everybody who wants to play the Jaguar version has a copy by now - the same couldn't be said years ago before they started popping up on ebay then the iso got hosted various places. That prevented the game from being "lost."

And as mentioned, the fixed version is just that - a fix of the buggy version that's floating around. So nothing is really being lost, if anything it's good to know that the game can be fixed.

I don't really like the game so I've never tried to circumvent the glitch on the JaguarCD version (Gunstar posted a workaround a long time ago). That's cool to know the whole game can be completed with the buggy version though.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

And as mentioned, the fixed version is just that - a fix of the buggy version that's floating around.

Nope, different build.

That's cool to know the whole game can be completed with the buggy version though.

Not accurate.

• Like 1

Not accurate.

I see, I was under the impression from this thread that the version that is floating around could be repaired to the complete version, based on Cyranoj's response.

I guess it's worth asking again then, if the one that circulating can be fixed to be complete (without resources from neo's build).

Like I said, never really bothered to try and circumvent the bug to see how much content is on the disc, can only go by what JaguarBrett and you have to say about it. Perhaps worth a closer look just to make notes for people who are interested.

Edited by Willard

It's a real bummer because I think it's a rather cool game. Unfortunately it is also really hard. Even more so with the buggy level. I never made it farer than level four, the underwater level, because I was running out of lives. I very much enjoyed the fixed version that Kevin brought to e-jagfest. Not only that it was not corrupted on level two but it also had a trainer mode so I could play the game long and without fear of dying, that was really nice. It's also a very long game, I wonder how anyone was supposed to beat it without cheating but I guess that is a different story...

It's a real bummer because I think it's a rather cool game. Unfortunately it is also really hard. Even more so with the buggy level. I never made it farer than level four, the underwater level, because I was running out of lives. I very much enjoyed the fixed version that Kevin brought to e-jagfest. Not only that it was not corrupted on level two but it also had a trainer mode so I could play the game long and without fear of dying, that was really nice. It's also a very long game, I wonder how anyone was supposed to beat it without cheating but I guess that is a different story...

It's fairly easy to beat with infinite lives and weapons :) *ahem*

Anyway, the binary on Neo's version is further along than the one 'out there' so no amount of fiddling around with it will make the available one work.

• Like 1

It's fairly easy to beat with infinite lives and weapons :) *ahem*

Anyway, the binary on Neo's version is further along than the one 'out there' so no amount of fiddling around with it will make the available one work.

ppf difference patch :)

• Like 1

I'm away on holiday at the moment so can't check but there were quite a few differences between the 2. One I'm sure I remember is that mine had seperate music tracks, the other version had only one music track and they used track timing to get the different tracks within it. If someone could check to see if this is right.

I'm away on holiday at the moment so can't check but there were quite a few differences between the 2. One I'm sure I remember is that mine had seperate music tracks, the other version had only one music track and they used track timing to get the different tracks within it. If someone could check to see if this is right.

The track layouts are completely different on both versions.

Why not just play this on Sega CD? Was that not a perfectly complete and acceptable version of this game?

Okay I admit I have the 3 level demo for Jag and the proto ROM for 32x :)

If a more completer version ever surfaces, I'd happily pay for it. Until then i'm content to play it on the sega sea-dee

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Albert, on 24 Aug 2010 - 6:26 PM, said:

I have to ask not to discuss development and release of Soulstar here on AtariAge. I have been informed that Eidos has made it clear elsewhere that they do not want Soulstar released in its current form, nor do they want to see an unlicensed version of the game being sold in physical form.

Thanks,

..Al

Huh, I was just bumping this old post from Albert from 2010 to ask if things have perhaps changed? Now that Eidos is part of Square Enix, they might be more supportive of a release. If they have the rights to this game, that is....Lost Dragon made it sound very messy. But Square Enix is VERY support of fan projects such as backing things on Kickstarter and the like.

At best, Square Enix would only hold the rights to the release of the original Soul Star for a specific Region or Regions, not world wide rights, from the emails i had back from various Ex-Core Design people i approached on behalf of......

It did sound very, very messy from the inital, lengthy email i had explaining just what an utter nightmare the I.P rights etc were and that was without looking over the other email where X was going to ask Y on the quiet about possibilty of a Jaguar CD release after so many years.

This has probably already been covered but I just got the version of Soulstar I have to work for the very first time using Protector SE for booting it. (shocked that worked and Jagtopia Freeboot does not!) Anyway, does anybody know how to blow up the enemy in level 3? I'm having a hard time controlling the ship in that stage too. Am I supposed to destroy something else first and then the boss, or just go straight for the boss? It's hard to tell what's going on with all the scrambled textures.

This has probably already been covered but I just got the version of Soulstar I have to work for the very first time using Protector SE for booting it. (shocked that worked and Jagtopia Freeboot does not!) Anyway, does anybody know how to blow up the enemy in level 3? I'm having a hard time controlling the ship in that stage too. Am I supposed to destroy something else first and then the boss, or just go straight for the boss? It's hard to tell what's going on with all the scrambled textures.

There's a good chance you'll crash after that stage anyway.

Weird, just tried my Jagtopia and it boots the circulating (bad) version and Neo's build. If you've got a skunkboard, try the Jagtopia in the Rebooteroids ROM, or if you have Downfall+, there is also a Jagtopia built into that.

Edited by CyranoJ

Here is a YouTube link to the warpship play through, destroy the boss first, choose what level you want, easy medium or hard. Shoot the appropriate power pylons (2 of them) and it'll open a warp disc. Go to end of runway to fly into it... You'll see it all in the video, it's the uncorrupted version of the warpship

Okay, so i have a question. The atari Jaguar uses a Motorola 68000 cpu and the jaguar cd is a 2x cd rom add on right? The sega Genesis has a Motorola 68000 cpu and 16 bit gpu and the sega cd unit is also 2x. Both systems games are written in assembly code specifically for the motorola 68000 cpu. So why on earth can't somebody like CJ port the Sega CD version of Soulstar to work on the jag? It would be a custom hacked iso of an already released product of Eidos vs a released w.i.p. they dont want people to see. Im sure the sound wouldn't work right away without some modifications due to differnt sound hardware but isnt it possible? Or is this theory kind of like saying just because my microwave has an LCD screen on it somebody SHOULD be able to program Tetris to work on it? The only reason why im asking is because it seems like the soulstar floating around there in the world IS a an attempt to port the Sega CD game by Eidos to the Jaguar CD rather than just another version that was being developed alongside it. Im basng this assumption on the graphics between the 2 they look identical. (To me anyway, anybody notice differences?)

There's a good chance you'll crash after that stage anyway.

Weird, just tried my Jagtopia and it boots the circulating (bad) version and Neo's build. If you've got a skunkboard, try the Jagtopia in the Rebooteroids ROM, or if you have Downfall+, there is also a Jagtopia built into that.

I dont know why Jagtopia doesnt boot it. I pop jagtopia in wait for the splash screen then wait for the disk to stop spinning then insert soulstar then push B and i get the disk spinning but it gets stuck on a black screen. I have the same issue with Iron Soldier 2 but Protector SE doesnt boot that one either, in that case it may be a bad burn but that doesnt explain Soulstars issue