39 replies to this topic

#26 8bitclassics OFFLINE  

8bitclassics

Dragonstomper

• 565 posts

Posted Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:09 PM

Really?   :ponder:

Curt

CLARIFICATION: Console for $35 and the Atari liscensed carts seperately for under $10, but you are right, it'll never happen.

View Post

View Post

Awsome, Thanks for the info Curt!! I love the little hints here and there you sly fellow you ;) Brand new carts made by ATARI, I can't wait :lust:

View Post

I think he mentioned this in FB3. Don't expect normal Atari carts, more of a mini/custom cart like maybe a compact flash or SD size. Hoping something a little bit bigger so won't be so easy to loose. Personally I am hoping for say 20 games per cart.

Corey

#27 JimmydelaKopin OFFLINE  

JimmydelaKopin

Dragonstomper

• 545 posts

Posted Thu Nov 3, 2005 5:56 PM

I was wondering where this discussion was located; I knew it had to be somewhere. ;)

Over in another forum, some people are debating whether or not there will be a crash in the market for modern consoles. I pointed out that there won't be--because there won't ever be another boom. The games for modern consoles are simply not making enough money for grq (get-rich-quick) investors to invest in, as was done in the early 80's, what with every department store and half-a-dozen specialized stores and all the toy stores selling the consoles and games.

Too many vendors, many of them grq-types convinced they could make gold from silicon, glutted the market at once. Then, when said grq-types went under, the gamemakers realized just how small their market really was...and they went under, and console-makers, similarly affected, were severely hurt as well.
Like I said, current games are simply not generating the kind of sales (or the kind of popularity--with exceptions noted) to entice the grq-types--and those are the people whose actions cause the booms and busts in any market.

However, retro-gaming is starting to experience a small boom, what with people selling Chinese knock-offs of retro-games on plug-in games, official plug-in games, retro discs, game stores selling old systems...even this entire threadcity is proof of the popularity of retro-gaming.
The gtr-types are slowly making an appearance. I think plug-in games--or dedicated systems--will be the first casualty. If retro-gaming stores are selling official plug-in games, and even a big name like Wal-Mart is selling a Chinese knock-off plug-in game (and I've seen it in Wal-Mart in the generic red box toy aisle)...then the market is beginning to blend together. Quality is slowly being pushed aside by quantity. And the glut is beginning to accumulate.

Given the investment one must make in such games==and I mean that one must physically remove one from the TV and plug in another if one wants to switch games==I don't think this trend can last much longer. Handhelds can be easily stored and changed (set one down and pick up another); so can retro-game discs (remove one and install another). These dedicated systems...they're on their way to becoming the Fast Eddie's of the 00's.

Edited by JimmydelaKopin, Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:53 PM.

#28 captainhowdy OFFLINE  

captainhowdy

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:14 PM

I think that their could be another crash. The first one happened because the game publishers wanted to make a ton of money and there was an audience waiting for the games. But once consumers realized that the games were awful the demand for product died and that created the glut of games sitting on the shelves. I can see some of the same things now. It seems that some of the game publisher are just making games to fill shelve space, they could careless if they are good games or not.

I think Nintendo is very smart in having their large cash reserve and for trying to keep there cost down on each console made. Microsoft and Sony are taking a bigger loss per console. If the software for any of the mentioned systems is lackluster or "just average" it will hurt overall profit (hardware and software combined). Microsoft has endless pockets so they are in for the long haul, even if they keep producing console with problems. Sony has alot of corprate debt which could hurt down the line, most of their divisions are loosing money. Nintendo has reserve cash, but doesn't always listen to it's customer and their reliance on "innovative controllers" will always be risky. Though most of their controller innovations have eventually become industry standard, I think they tend to scare off casual gamers.

#29 NightSprinter OFFLINE  

NightSprinter

River Patroller

• 2,049 posts

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:19 PM

Well, in terms of Sony let's not forget they're losing even MORE money after the whole scandal regarding their DRM-protected CDs. That's going to even further hurt their production capability for the PS3. That, plus many games just don't seem to show very much innovation these days.

I mean take a look at the releases for consoles lately: it's just the same sports, war, and FPS genres over and oer again.

#30 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:52 PM

I think that the Plug-N-Play market will be glutted. Heck, it already is. But the console market is another beast. The XBox 360 is a perfect example of where the console market is going. It's not about games. But it's about entertainment. And media. And the XBox 360 is really a media center PC. That will keep it--and similar consoles--afloat. Even if the game market crashes, it can still be marketed as a hub for a media center.

There are even rumors of Apple gearing more of their consumer level machines towards home media centers. Look at the new iMac that is exactly that. Even the mac Mini is being used as a hub device in many systems.

The future is media centers. The games will be ancillary and coincidental. Much like people don't buy cell phones to play games, but love playing games on cell phones.

#31 J.Max OFFLINE  

J.Max

Dragonstomper

• 664 posts

Posted Sun Dec 4, 2005 11:06 AM

Nintendo's not going anywhere,folks. Remember, they're profitable.

#32 courtesi OFFLINE  

courtesi

Star Raider

• 98 posts

Posted Fri Apr 7, 2006 6:38 PM

The frustration I personally have over the game industry is not delivering what people want. I'll give an example:

Why would it be so difficult for Sega to release a new Panzar Dragoon Saga game? And also, if you win, it will unlock the original game? This would be an EASY sell. I just don't understand.

I for one have already turned my nose up at the 1 in 10 joysticks game compilations. The emulations for the most part are horrid and terrible. After 2 attempts I will NOT be back for more. Back in '96 when emulation was still a fetus, even emulation back then was far higher quality than today.

Oh well.. I'm just a cranky old man. What do I know.

#33 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

River Patroller

• 2,147 posts

Posted Sun Apr 9, 2006 11:47 PM

JUst started seeing TV commercials for the X-box (Not the 360) . Kinda reminded me of the "Bring back the Fun" campaign of the 2600 :ponder:

#34 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,442 posts

Posted Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:13 AM

The frustration I personally have over the game industry is not delivering what people want. I'll give an example:

Why would it be so difficult for Sega to release a new Panzar Dragoon Saga game? And also, if you win, it will unlock the original game? This would be an EASY sell. I just don't understand.

I for one have already turned my nose up at the 1 in 10 joysticks game compilations. The emulations for the most part are horrid and terrible. After 2 attempts I will NOT be back for more. Back in '96 when emulation was still a fetus, even emulation back then was far higher quality than today.

Oh well.. I'm just a cranky old man. What do I know.

That's because very few of the plug and plays are actual emulation per se. Most of them are ports to custom hardware (ala Jakk's) or NES-on-a-chips.

#35 bowser724 OFFLINE  

bowser724

Moonsweeper

• 257 posts
  • ONLY 1 SOLVALOU LEFT!

Posted Sat May 20, 2006 9:04 AM

Considering all the new innovations, video games aren't likely to crash any time soon.

#36 AtticGamer OFFLINE  

AtticGamer

Stargunner

• 1,012 posts

Posted Sun May 21, 2006 4:55 PM

In the plug and play market, as long as there are classics I think there's no risk of a market crash. Atari, Activision, Namco, etc are in it to keep quality in this growing business. It's still a bit new, so there's room for improvement and retro gaming is popular for now so I don't think it's going to die anytime soon.

#37 COMTARI OFFLINE  

COMTARI

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted Wed Jul 5, 2006 11:12 AM

Perhaps the crash has begun??? Fewer plug and plays are comming out, the only one I've seen in a while was one based on Superman, I guess to cash in on the new movie. When the Atari flashback 2 hit the market, stores would have several on a shelf and they would be gone by the end of the week. I picked up 1 and had to wait several weeks before I got a second one last year. Walmart and other stores seem to now have the same flashbacks sitting on the shelf week after week. Perhaps devoted fans and others with flashback interests have picked up their consoles and the general public is just not interested? I would love to see the FB3 come to market, but that probably won't happen.

#38 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 836 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:28 AM

I came across a surprising piece of news yesterday. A toy industry report from Piper Jaffray analyst Anthony Gikas referred to NPD Funworld statistics, which showed that, year-to-date through May, plug-and-play game sales have grown 21%. US toy sales in general declined 2.5% YTD, but certain categories did grow (youth electronics grew the most, 27%). This is particularly unexpected to me because the producer side of the plug-and-play market has just been so quiet lately, and at least locally, I don't see much in the way of sales. Maybe other regions have more purchases going on. Then again, it's also the first half of the year, which is the toy dry season, so maybe it's 21% growth over very little to begin with from last January-to-May.

At any rate, this at least starts an argument for the case that the plug-and-play industry is not crashing (yet?).

onmode-ky

#39 Pete5125 OFFLINE  

Pete5125

Moonsweeper

• 434 posts

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:06 AM

I can tell you that last year Star Wars was a bomb, so was Poker, Ms Pac Man did OK.....This Year Super Pac was a hit followed by Tomas the Tank Eng. and Dora at the place my friend works.

I don't see Plug and Plays lasting to much longer they are cool when you have 1 maybe 2 but after that they take up to much room. Everyone that I know has at least a couple of these things and they sell mostly at Christmas. Their are at least 100 or more different modles out their. I could see an Atari Flashback3 working if their is a cart slot...other than that I think you are in the begining of the crash go to Big Lots and count how many plug and plays are collecting dust their

#40 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 6,085 posts

Posted Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:19 AM

the plug and plays are basicly for the people who in to retro which basicly doesn't effect the main gaming business.
the cause of the '84 crash, was basicly too many people making games(third partys) for systems which caused the flood of too many games not being sold. as well as many games not being good.
I doubt another crash will happen,game compnies are coming out witha new system each year it seems like to keep up with the demand.
(we also have figure the pc's in to the factor now because most people are playing some games on the computer as well)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users