IGNORED

Vectrex and Ebay

Colecovision

Recently, I bought 2 Vectrex systems and a bunch of games on ebay. I spent a lot of money on foolish descriptions: "Good picture and sound". Bottom line, I have a vectrex with a faulty controller port (can't use some directions, not the controllers fault) and another vectrex with messed up graphics. Should I give up on Vectrex? Shipping is expensive. :|

Don't give up on the Vectrex!!! I got mine late last year (I think?). It's quickly become one of my favorite toys. :D

Of course, I bought my Vectrex from a reliable seller here on Atariage. I knew very little about the system, but I bought it because I found the games intriguing. I'm not in the least disappointed by my purchase!

I trust very few sellers on eBay these days. I'd give up on eBay before I gave up on the Vectrex! Did I mention it's a great system?

Edited by mojofltr

my first vec came from ebay and it was a keeper, of course i've found 5 or so vecs in the wild since then but if you cant wait ebays the way to go. heres the thing, no other console enjoys such a dedicated techie following so any repair is possible. if your vecs not up to speed just post over here

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.v...x?lnk=srg&hl=en

you'll be pointed in the right direction to getting them fixed.

its a one of a kind classic console thats actually still fun to play, chicks dig it! dont give up, save up - for the multicart!

Recently, I bought 2 Vectrex systems and a bunch of games on ebay. I spent a lot of money on foolish descriptions: "Good picture and sound". Bottom line, I have a vectrex with a faulty controller port (can't use some directions, not the controllers fault) and another vectrex with messed up graphics. Should I give up on Vectrex? Shipping is expensive.  :|

950594[/snapback]

Where do you live? I've had alot of success fixing Vectrex consoles.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Rob sold me my Vectrex (with a Sega Genesis controller rewired to make it Veccy-compatible), so he should be able to help. Incidentally, after I ordered a Vectrex from him, before it arrived, I found one in a thrift store for $5! Talk about strange luck!

950854[/snapback]

So what you're saying is you have an extra you will sell me for $5. Correct? :D

-Tim :)

Recently, I bought 2 Vectrex systems and a bunch of games on ebay. I spent a lot of money on foolish descriptions: "Good picture and sound". Bottom line, I have a vectrex with a faulty controller port (can't use some directions, not the controllers fault) and another vectrex with messed up graphics. Should I give up on Vectrex? Shipping is expensive.  :|

950594[/snapback]

950844[/snapback]

I'm in Canada. I don't know what to do with the one with bad graphics. The other could be a nice system if I could fix the controller port. I'm considering selling both but I will lose money because I won't lie in my descriptions.

950594[/snapback]

950844[/snapback]

I'm in Canada. I don't know what to do with the one with bad graphics. The other could be a nice system if I could fix the controller port. I'm considering selling both but I will lose money because I won't lie in my descriptions.

951103[/snapback]

If you do decide to sell'em let me know. :)

-Tim

I'm not familiar enough with the Vectrex circuitry to know if the ports are directly wired to the VIA chip or if there's a buffer chip in between. But I'll bet they're directly wired, in which case you'll need a new VIA chip. It's a standard C64 part.

But getting a Vectrex open and put back together again is a total pain in the ass.

Bottom line, I have a vectrex with a faulty controller port (can't use some directions, not the controllers fault) and another vectrex with messed up graphics.

But getting a Vectrex open and put back together again is a total pain in the ass.

951275[/snapback]

If there is a pin missing from the controller port .. that's not too hard to fix!

Messed up graphics .. could require adjustment or a new capacitor kit upgrade.

The Vectrex is not too hard to open up .. just gotta make sure that you discharge the picture tube to AVOID SHOCK!

Ha! It's working now but I need to hold the controller in place with my finger. Maybe I could just tape it.

951398[/snapback]

Touch up soldering would fix that!

Come join us at rec.games.vectrex newsgroup for all things Vectrex!

Edited by Rob Mitchell