IGNORED

Favorite arcade of all-time

Guitardude

I know there's a thread that has current arcades with classic games, but where was your favorite arcade of all time? Living in Long Island, NY, I'm about a 1 hour trainride from NYC. Inside the famous Pennsylvania (Penn) Station, there used to be 2 arcades. One I only saw once, as I was 13 and Pop wouldn't let me stop in, but through the glass windows was 6 Space Invaders games. You may wonder why it made such an impression in 1981 as SI was 4 years old. These six games were UPSIDE DOWN! They were on also, so it looked really cool. The other arcade, which is my favorite of all time, was called "Station Break". Mr friends and I, on every couple of Saturdays, would hop the train and go drop some quarters on the great old games. It's where I first saw Dragon's Lair, with an extra TV on top for people who didn't have the room to huddle around the cabinet. I had the high scores on Jungle King and Q*bert for the longest time. Sadly, it denegrated into a hole with no lights and seedy clientele. Much fun playing Punisher and someone interupting the game asking if I needed to be "hooked up". It finally closed some years ago and turned into a K-mart. There are two somewhat big arcades in NYC now, but they're littered with DDR games, so no fun.

When I was about 13 (1982ish), my hometown (pop <1000) arcade was "Bill's Arcade"... no kidding. Some of my greatest childhood memories are there, as it was the beginning of my social life.

He had:

A Pool Table

Haunted House Pinball (my fav to this day)

Galaga

Qix

Ms. Pac Man

Crazy Climber

Tempest

and maybe one or two more that I don't remember

When possible I'd go to the nearest large town about 30 miles away where there was a "big" arcade called "The Two-Bit Bandit" (It still exists), and one at the mall called the "Gold Mine".

Thats an easy one, the one in my basement!!

Ok, ok, back in the day, my favorite "real" arcade was called Odyssey Land located in Montgomeryville PA. It was a rather large stand-alone arcade. Odyssey Land was your typical stereo-typed arcade back in the day. Loud music, and lots of punks playing in a smoky, dimmly lit room. (It was great!!) It also was also falling apart over the years, I vivdly remember one of my last trips there.

I was leaning up against the side of a machine a friend was playing when I saw the attendant dragging several trash cans through the arcade. He came up to me, and said "excuse me!, and put a trash can right where I was standing! I was like what the f---, why did he do that? I then watched him drag the other trash cans around the building and was placing them over x marks made out of tape on floor. (like x-marks the spot) Sure enough, in a few minutes, water began dripping from the ceiling into the trash cans all over the arcade. I then noticed it was raining outside!!

They then moved into a much smaller location, and as the story goes with almost all of our arcades, they closed. I also enjoyed the Space Port in the Mongomeryville Mall, most of you probably had one in your mall as well. Space Port closed and later re-opened as Time-Out. Unfortunately Time-Out closed about a year and a half ago. I recently came across a guy in another forum who is a fanatic about these once popular arcades. He 's got a pretty cool webpage dedicated to it.

http://timeouttunnel.com/

This is a topic near and dear to this gamer-from-the-grave's heart.

I've been to all of the 11 local arcades...but my favorite was Putt-Putt.

Four courses (two of which I could net half the greens in one putt), skeeball, pinball (my favorite machine of all time Pinbot was there), and video games of all sorts.

When I heard from the owner that times were getting tough, I actually wrote to Putt-Putt, Inc. for help on saving the place...only to find out the place was a franchise, so they could do nothing to save the place.

When I saw the place being razed...my heart was crushed. For that reason alone I'll never go to an Oschner medical facility.

Dammit, Oschner took my Putt-Putt from me!!!

The only one I ever knew as a child was in the local 'recreation centre' in Stafford, UK. I had mum take my sister and I swimming as a pretext to playing the coin-ops later.

They usually had about 5-6 games at any one time, but always the dedicated cabinets (which I remember appreciating even then) so i got the full experience of Discs of Tron, Planet of Zoom, Gauntlet and, I still remember how excited I was when I first saw/played, the stand up version of the Star Wars arcade game. That game just blew everything else away, a generational leap in 1 machine.

Hard to say since I've been to so many in various places in the world.

But probably my most nostalgic are the ones of my youth.. the old cocktail arcades where it was pretty much only cocktails and I got kicked out by some crazed chinese lady because I had done the 255 lives trick in Mr. Do! and she said the machine was malfunctioning... so she pulled the plug and chased me out! :lol:

..that fucking bitch :P

Hmm, growing up the only major arcade in our area was adjacent to the local movie theatre, and I did spend plenty of time there, but...

The most money I ever spent, in any "arcade", was one summer I spent mastering Tempest. I played every single day.... don't remember if it was '82 or '83, but one of those summers. And it wasn't at typical arcade, it was at a meat market! Basically, a butcher shop. But for some reason, there were 2-3 games there at any given time in the early eighties. Maybe the owner was a closet arcade buff. Who knows? As kids, we certainly weren't buying the meats...

Other than that, I would say the best arcade I have ever been to was not even in the US... it was in a resort town in southern Italy. There were many arcades in this resort town, in the mid-eighties, and I was lucky enough to visit a few. One was fairly large, with all the classics at the time... and a large number of pirate cabinets with all sorts of exotic variations. The games took a lire-based token, worth about 10 cents. Basically, 10 games for a dollar... a whole evening's worth for $5. Did I mention the drinking age? It may have been 16, but that was more of a guideline than anything else.

Edited by hookem

When I was young, growing up in Jersey, my father used to give me a couple of bucks to ride my bike to the 7-11 to get him a pack of smokes. From the late 70's to the mid 80's the 7/11 always had one or two machines. I can remember them having Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender and Donkey Kong at one time or another. Next door at the Cumberland Farms, they had Centipede. Next to the Cumberland Farms there was a pizza place that always had a cocktail machine, though I don't recall what game it was.

Also walking distance from my house was the Ocean County Mall. They had "The Game Room". Another one of those dark arcades lined with pinballs and arcade machines.

When I got a little older, 13 to 18, I spent alot of time in Seaside Heights. They had/have a mile or two long boardwark full of arcade machines. The arcades are still there, but alas, most of the classic games are gone.

Bill

I recently came across a guy in another forum who is a fanatic about these once popular arcades. He 's got a pretty cool webpage dedicated to it.

http://timeouttunnel.com/

953096[/snapback]

TIME-OUT!!!!! That was in my local mall for years and I spent way too much money there. Thanks for the link as when that guy has his movie done, it oughta be awesome. I remember when it changed to Sega's Time-out and was more than a little disappointed when a new mall popped up witht he promise of a Sega Gameworks which never materialized. All we got was a stinkin' Jillian's.

Four, sadly they ALL closed down..

Aladdin's Castle: Karnov, Discs of Tron, Rampage, and a few others I don't remember

Miracle Strip Amusement Park (was in Panama City Beach): Jr. Pac-Man, Crystal Castles, Asteroids, Space Invaders Deluxe, Pac-Mania, Double Dragon, numerous classics.

(Unknown name, located here in Albany, GA). Had A few classics, plus a couple good Capcom fighters.

My favorite was a little place in a mall called Mainstreet Arcade. It wasn't the best place for games (it was pretty small), but it was the one place I could get my mom to drag me to when I was younger since it was in a mall. Lots of good memories... Too bad they tore it down years ago.

Tempest

Aladdin's Castle: Karnov, Discs of Tron, Rampage, and a few others I don't remember

953670[/snapback]

Aladdin's Castle used to be a chain, wasn't it? I read somewhere about how one guy wanted to open or had opened one in Texas and was fighting with the town council over property lines and somesuch. I remember they used to advertise in Electronic Games also.

West Coast Canada, in Vancouver (Burnaby to be exact)

LESTER'S FUN TIME PALACE!!!

...this place was in existence till a few years ago...and still had an oldie section in the corner with Arkanoid, Galaga, Ms PacMan and Donkey Kong Jr.

This damn arcade was around from at least mid 80's, and was the main reason I went to Vancouver as a kid!...it was SO packed during the Street Fighter heyday, it was like the Beatles were in town!...it was the first time I got completely destroyed by a family to Asian wonderkids, trading off between rounds, letting me win one round, then proceeding to destroy me....

This arcade had every damn game you could think of through it's lifetime. Now it's like coffee shop or something. I still remember even in the SF2 days talking to the main manager dude and him complaining about how much the HUGE screens for the SF2 corner cost him...and how many years it took to make it back, well after the glory days of SF2 had passed.

Sigh.

...as a kid in the 80's I remember VIVIDLY the commercials for Chuck E Cheese's...there was one in Vancouver, but it was kinda, I dunno...more restarant than arcade....the commercial featured Mach 3 and indeed, I'm pretty sure I CRAPPED IN MY PANTS when I saw it.

I didn't see a Mach 3 machine in the flesh till, hmmm...probably 1988!!...even with Afterburner around, I was impressed....also with Firefox...both due to the LaserDisc technology, as I really had no clue that the gameplay was boring and repetitive...I still was in awe!!!

Edited by atarilovesyou

Showbiz Pizza, which we had in Wichita, KS when I was little. That was the first arcade I had ever seen and I still have hazy memories of it. They had a dual screen Donkey Kong with lots of people crowded around, I remember eventually getting in a game but I died quickly. There was also a Dragon's Lair, which I was amazed to look at but never played it. I spent most of my time in the back room because almost nobody was in there. I realize now those were the old games, probably stuff from the 70's and some BB gun type games.

I had at least a couple birthday parties there - they had this crazy on-stage audio-animatronic band of animal characters that played music and jabbered to each other. I think one of them was named "Billy Bob". Very loud and exciting for us kids. Annoying as hell for the parents I'm sure.

Chuck E Cheese bought the place out well before my family moved. I resented that - who is Chucke Cheese and why did that stupid mouse steal Showbiz? That was the first time I learned the concept of businesses being bought and sold. We had another Chuck E Cheese in Pensacola, and it was very weak. I don't know if it was typical of the chain, but if so, I must conclude that Showbiz was way better.

Showbiz Pizza, which we had in Wichita, KS when I was little.  That was the first arcade I had ever seen and I still have hazy memories of it.  They had a dual screen Donkey Kong with lots of people crowded around, I remember eventually getting in a game but I died quickly.  There was also a Dragon's Lair, which I was amazed to look at but never played it.  I spent most of my time in the back room because almost nobody was in there.  I realize now those were the old games, probably stuff from the 70's and some BB gun type games.

I had at least a couple birthday parties there - they had this crazy on-stage audio-animatronic band of animal characters that played music and jabbered to each other.  I think one of them was named "Billy Bob".  Very loud and exciting for us kids.  Annoying as hell for the parents I'm sure.

Chuck E Cheese bought the place out well before my family moved.  I resented that - who is Chucke Cheese and why did that stupid mouse steal Showbiz?  That was the first time I learned the concept of businesses being bought and sold.  We had another Chuck E Cheese in Pensacola, and it was very weak.  I don't know if it was typical of the chain, but if so, I must conclude that Showbiz was way better.

957158[/snapback]

Actually, I think Show Biz bought Chuck E. Cheese and decided to go with the rat instead of the bear. That's some arcade history as the guy who started Show Biz was going to be a CEC franchisee, but bowed out to start SB. Nolan Bushnell sued and ended up getting a percentage out of SB. Later, CEC was going ot and SB bought them up.

Edited by Guitardude

I have actually waited to reply to this one...really caused me to think!

I have a few favorites:

The Chuck E Cheese in Alexandria VA would have to be the number one. I went there the most and played the only Reactor and Crossbow I would ever see operational. Those two, Bump N Jump and Centipede defined the arcade era for me. They were in a smaller raised room off of the main arcade. I loved that little space with the wild red carpet and the 80's colored walls.

Next would be the ORIGINAL Dave and Busters. I got to go to the one on Stemmons Freeway back in 84 or 85. I can recall rows of Pole Position cockpits, walls of classic games. I still have a red coin from my trip (although it would be difficult to put my hands on now). When they opened one in Maryland (about an hour drive) I could not wait to go. Had forgotten all about them until I saw the colors of the arcade inside. My basement now matches that room I remember so well.

Finally, there was the (I forget the first part) Gulch Arcade in Six Flags over Texas (Arlington). I only got to go once a year but man I was in heaven. Speed Freak, Pole Position 2 cockpit, Discs of Tron and TONS of others that I could never name. I loved that place. The cool AC and the smell of summer drinks. I could live in that memory forever.

Cassidy

Hard to pick one favorite, but I guess I would say these are my top 5, in alphabetical order:

Asteroids

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong

Galaga

Ms. Pac-Man

Pretty standard fare, I suppose...

EDIT:

:dunce:

Whoops... misread the headline. I suppose I should've read some of the posts first.

Well, let's see... I never really got to experience any GREAT arcades back in the day. I mostly just went to the Land of Oz in the mall in my hometown, Austin, MN. That was later replaced by Circus, which was where I spent a lot of time playing pinball in high school. (I actually got into pinball in the late '80s, when I had lost interest in the current arcade video games.)

My favorite arcade was the one in Apache Mall in Rochester, MN, though, and whenever my family would go there for the day on Saturdays, I'd be sure to hit the arcade. I can't remember what it was called... Machine something... Machine Shed, possibly, but I might be confusing it with those lame country-themed restaurants that are sprouting up on exurban freeways all over the Midwest these days.

Edited by Room 34