IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 15: Stargate/Defender II

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

First, the best brains in the world designed a super spaceship to defend your planet against eveil aliens who lusted to conquer it. But the marauders kept coming! Your new secret weapon: STARGATE, a powerful stellar gateway to the universe. It's the only hope for your beleagured planet! Once again, you take to the skies in your ship -- now fortified with the mysterious cloaking compound, INVISO. With the help of the STARGATE, maybe -- just maybe -- you can save the last humanoids and wipe out the aliens FOREVER!

Game Information

• Game Name: Stargate / Defender II
  • Released By: Atari, 1985
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Default - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: vdub_bobby

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Nov 1st at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Dones! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 188,850 (khryssun) [+11]
  2. 103,550 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 82,150 (homerwannabee) [+9]
  4. 75,400 (Cybergoth) [+8]
  5. 73,950 (keilbaca) [+7]
  6. 65,500 (vdub_bobby) [+6]
  7. 47,150 (gospeedde) [+5]
  8. 45,350 (D.Yancey) [+4]
  9. 41,500 (supercat) [+3]
  10. 34,850 (Mad Scientist) [+2]
  11. 32,050 (Goochman) [+1]
  12. 24,900 (Mordax) [+1]
  13. 22,200 (scogey) [+1]
  14. 21,500 (silverpoodleman) [+1]
  15. 17,350 (Gamemaster_ca_2003) [+1]
  16. 13,050 (Omegamatrix) [+1]
  17. 12,000 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips

• vdub_bobby [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Settings)
  1. 237,250 (Ron Corcoran)
  2. 184,500 (Mark Feldt)
  3. 79,700 (Stephen Knox)

Current Standings

1. Coming Soon

Member List

Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, vdub_bobby

Scoring Points in Stargate / Defender II

Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? AtariAge has both a typed copy online. In case you're too lazy to click that link, here's the hints the manual provides:

• The Scanner on your screen shows you any area on the planet where HUMANOIDS are in danger.  Keep an eye on your scanner -- it will alert you to any emergencies in another part of the sky.  Rush to a STARGATE for immediate transport to that sector.

• Your planet will be destroyed if all the HUMANOIDS are turned into MUTANTS -- but you must still defend yourself!  If you're a good fighter, your planet will be restored in wave 6, or in
    every fifth wave after that.

• In attack wave 5 and every 10th attack wave thereafter, you'll encounter the YLLABIAN DOG FIGHT.  The only aliens that appear on the screen are YLLABIAN SPACE GUPPYS, PODS, and DYNAMOS.  It takes skill and practice to make it through this wave.

• In every 10th attack wave, you'll find yourself in the middle of a FIREBOMBER SHOWDOWN.  FIREBOMBERS are everywhere.  Keep a sharp eye and a nimble firing finger.

• Whenever you lose a ship, you reappear on the screen with a new one (if you have any left).  But all action stops until you move the joystick.

• Along with the powers of your super spaceship, you've been blessed with supersonic hearing.  You can hear the HUMANOIDS scream as they're being accosted by LANDERS.  On your side of the planet, this comes as a faint yelp.  The sound of explosions means that a HUMANOID and LANDER have just been transformed into a MUTANT.

-Although you may be tempted to hyperspace out of danger when cornered, unlike in the arcade game where you'd warp to the other end of the planet, your new position is totally random, and there is a chance you could reappear on an enemy.

-If a collision with an enemy is likely, use inviso, and you can ram into them without losing a ship.

Ok, here is an interesting tip. Destroy all your men and face the aliens in space. For whatever reason I am able to get a higher score doing this.
Here are my tips:

1. Learn to move fast. Shoot constantly, then you don't have to worry about running into anything. Don't worry about flying by enemies; you can always overrun them slightly, turn around quickly, and blast them from behind.

2. Use your radar. Know what's coming; know where humanoids are being kidnapped. They are your bonus points!

3. Use the stargate to your advantage - it will take you to humanoids that are being kidnapped. (But note that it will NOT take you anywhere useful if there are no humanoids being kidnapped.)

4. At the beginning of a level (or immediately after dying) stay low (at mountain level) and fly L or R at top speed, moving up and down in a wave pattern, shooting constantly. This can be a good way to clear out the green humanoid-stealers since they tend to congregate near the ground. Of course, watch your radar and pull up a bit if you see a humanoid being kidnapped; you don't want to shoot the humanoid by mistake.

5. Figure out some way to use your extra weapons and stuff, whether with the foot controller, stomping on an extra joystick, or whatever. You especially need to be able to use the bombs at all times.

6. On a related note: if your game ends and you still have bombs left, you screwed up! Use your bombs liberally; you get more and it is better to be alive with no bombs than to see Game Over with 3 extra bombs! Same goes for invisibility.

7. Warp on the first level. You get ~20K points within about a minute and you can keep hitting RESET until you do it just like you want to (i.e., without dying or losing any humanoids).You especially need to be able to use the bombs at all times.

I really think this is the key to a high score: warping as often as you can.

Warp from the 1st level to the 4th level. You'll hit the 4th level with about 20K points.

Immediately - well, as soon as you can - warp to the 7th level. If you can do this well you'll hit the 7th level with about 45K points. Note that this means you have received 4 extra men and 4 extra bombs; hopefully you have't used any bombs nor died to this point.

At that point you're on your own. If you were a real badass you'd warp again but that's certainly beyond my skill right now; it's all I can do to stay alive. Reaching the 7th level with 5 extra ships and 5 bombs means I can usually reach the 9th or 10th level.

This plan is pretty hard to execute; it takes me about 15 minutes of trying over and over, hitting RESET every time I died on the 1st or 4th level, to successfully warp twice without dying. But it does lead to some high scores. icon_smile.gif

--Ze_ro

And a pic from the other version, just to show that the two versions are, indeed, the same.

The reason for the title change is because when it was first released, it was called Stargate, but when production ended, Williams (now owned by Midway) switched it back to Defender 2 in order to retain the copyright on the game.

post-1653-1130211230_thumb.jpg

These aren't really tips; just some comments:

I thought this was in the manual: If you go through a Stargate while holding four humanoids you warp 3 levels and get 2000 points for every humanoid still alive. I don't think you get any more points than you would by just blasting through the levels, but it is faster.

Oh, and this game gets insanely difficult starting at about level 6 or 7. At that point the enemies all can fly as fast as you can, so it becomes very difficult to evade.

EDIT: It is level 8 where the enemies become insanely fast.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Getting better, and here's some advice from me:

-Although you may be tempted to hyperspace out of danger when cornered, unlike in the arcade game where you'd warp to the other end of the planet, your new position is totally random, and there is a chance you could reappear on an enemy.

-If a collision with an enemy is likely, use inviso, and you can ram into them without losing a ship.

post-1653-1130256453_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

Starting with a first game scoring me 15450.

Tip: Use your foot-pedals!

At least that's what I'm going to do now ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

954208[/snapback]

I'm using my ps2 arcade stick, I wired for dual atari 2600 controllers. Smart bomb, hyperspace and inviso all on the same stick, one button away from the fire button in 3 directions.

Hi there!

I'm using my ps2 arcade stick, I wired for dual atari 2600 controllers. Smart bomb, hyperspace and inviso all on the same stick, one button away from the fire button in 3 directions.

Wow, sounds cool! :D

The footpedals worked for me: 29.750! ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I wish Albert still had those foot controllers that were supposed to be sold with Thrust+.  Those would have been great for this game.

953805[/snapback]

954270[/snapback]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67124

They're not only good for Stargate. They'll also work for Spy Hunter, Asteroids DC, Thrust DC, Solaris, Radar Lock and I will support them with Colony 7 as well, so get some now! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Here are my tips:

1. Learn to move fast. Shoot constantly, then you don't have to worry about running into anything. Don't worry about flying by enemies; you can always overrun them slightly, turn around quickly, and blast them from behind.

2. Use your radar. Know what's coming; know where humanoids are being kidnapped. They are your bonus points!

3. Use the stargate to your advantage - it will take you to humanoids that are being kidnapped. (But note that it will NOT take you anywhere useful if there are no humanoids being kidnapped.)

4. At the beginning of a level (or immediately after dying) stay low (at mountain level) and fly L or R at top speed, moving up and down in a wave pattern, shooting constantly. This can be a good way to clear out the green humanoid-stealers since they tend to congregate near the ground. Of course, watch your radar and pull up a bit if you see a humanoid being kidnapped; you don't want to shoot the humanoid by mistake.

5. Figure out some way to use your extra weapons and stuff, whether with the foot controller, stomping on an extra joystick, or whatever. You especially need to be able to use the bombs at all times.

6. On a related note: if your game ends and you still have bombs left, you screwed up! Use your bombs liberally; you get more and it is better to be alive with no bombs than to see Game Over with 3 extra bombs! Same goes for invisibility.

7. Warp on the first level. You get ~20K points within about a minute and you can keep hitting RESET until you do it just like you want to (i.e., without dying or losing any humanoids).

Okay, new high score; slightly better: 65,500

post-6060-1130308933_thumb.jpg

And I really think this is the key to a high score: warping as often as you can.

Warp from the 1st level to the 4th level. You'll hit the 4th level with about 20K points.

Immediately - well, as soon as you can - warp to the 7th level. If you can do this well you'll hit the 7th level with about 45K points. Note that this means you have received 4 extra men and 4 extra bombs; hopefully you have't used any bombs nor died to this point.

At that point you're on your own. If you were a real badass you'd warp again but that's certainly beyond my skill right now; it's all I can do to stay alive. Reaching the 7th level with 5 extra ships and 5 bombs means I can usually reach the 9th or 10th level.

This plan is pretty hard to execute; it takes me about 15 minutes of trying over and over, hitting RESET every time I died on the 1st or 4th level, to successfully warp twice without dying. But it does lead to some high scores. :)