IGNORED

Is there an end to Pitfall??

sk8townusa

Forgive me if this seems like an amateur question, but is there an "end" to Pitfall?

The house I live in is busy trying to get there and my roomates are all starting to fight over the 2600 that I hooked up for fun (this is bringing back great fun and memories).

If anyone knows that there is, indeed, and "end" to Pitfall please let me know so I can either feed or put out the fire. Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Maze Crazer:

That is what I thought! I have a roomate who SWEARS there is some screen you can get to that has tons of treasures!! Sounds like he's getting confused between pitfall and some Super Mario room...

He may be getting Pitfall! confused with Montezuma's Revenge... Another good adventure game.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried going backwards in Pitfall, like going left instead of right?

I don't think you can get treasure like that tho.

255 the number comes up ALOT in video games, anyone know why that is? I thought I heard the answer one time, but forgot.

You can go in either direction and collect treasure whichever way you choose. I think most people prefer to go left so that if they do die.... Harry appears on the left side of the screen...past what-ever it was that killed them.

255 comes up a lot in networking. I.m doing work on packet sniffing right now, and the max you can give a packet is ff in hex, which is 255. memory restraints or something simmilar could be why it comes up a lot. I need sleep. enough packet sniffing for now.

I hate reading hex. I'll be dreaming in hex now.

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by KAZ:

Has anyone tried going backwards in Pitfall, like going left instead of right?

I don't think you can get treasure like that tho.

Sure, I've tried it. It's prefectly okay to go left, and you can get all the treasures going in either direction. In fact, Pitfall! game designer, David Crane, recommends running to the left in the "How To Seek Your Fortune With Pitfall Harry" section of the Pitfall! Game Instructions.

quote:

255 the number comes up ALOT in video games, anyone know why that is? I thought I heard the answer one time, but forgot.

Programming an Atari 2600 game is a nightmarish exercise in squeezing the most utility out of every byte of code. Out of necessity, 2600 game designers limited game counters to a single byte of storage whenever possible. Such is the case for the number of different jungle scenes in Pitfall!.

Now one byte of memory (consisting of 8 bits, each of which may be either a 0 or a 1) has 256 possible states. Those states represent the numbers 0 through 255. That is why the number 255 crops up so much in video games.

Ben

Yes, you can go either left or right...in both cases you would reach the starting screen after 255 screens (time permitting). Also, it may be easier to run to the left (since Harry appears there if you lose a life).

It may be kinda hard to understand the thing about "255", but here goes...

You may recall that in all computers, the smallest memory unit is called a bit...and it can be either closed (1) or open (0). This is called a binary system. The 6502 processor is designed to handle eight of these switches together as a group, called a byte. You already know that when counting upward in the decimal system, there is no digit past 9 (instead, a "1" is tacked on the front and you start counting from zero again). The binary system works the same way, except that there is no digit past 1. So counting from 0 to 7 in binary would be 0, 1, 10, 11, 100, 101, 110, 111. Since a byte contains eight bits, the highest value that it could hold is 255 (11111111 binary).

So what are all those letters I see in program disassemblies, then?

Naturally, looking at so many 1's and 0's would drive you insane if you had to write a program, so the assembler allows you to use hexadecimal values instead. This is a base-16 counting system, and following the digit 9 the next digits are A, B, C, D, E, and F (F=1111 binary). How do these tie in with the binary system? Simple, just break the byte in half (called nybbles). Since 1111 binary is equal to the digit "F" in hex, 11111111 would be equal to FF. In the decimal system, the left digit of a 2-digit number tells us how many 10's there are in the value (base-10). Hex works the same way, except it tells you how many 16's there are in the value (base-16). Since the left nybble (the leftmost 4 bits) of the byte hold 1111 in the example above, this would be equal to 15x16 in decimal. The right nybble (the rightmost 4 bits) is added to that. 11111111 binary = FF hex = 15x16+15 decimal. To avoid confusion, the $ character is used to signify a hex value (32=32, but $32=50...3x16+2).

* Slaps a yardstick on the desk

One more thing that is interesting to note:

Many games use a single byte to store the current level number you are on. In many cases, the value of 1 is thrown in there when you start a game. If you pass level 255, strange things might happen if the game is not programmed to throw a 1 back in there (or hold steady at 255). Instead, the byte will roll over to a value of zero (since a zero level does not exist, the program tries to cope as best as it can...often with strange side-effects).