IGNORED

Text label carts with date stamps on end labels

Christophero Sly

I have a Concentration text label with a "17 2 R" date code stamped into the end label. As I understand it, that means the cart was made in May 1982, well after Atari had switched to picture labels. It the only text label I own with a date code stamped into the end label, but I found another reference here on AA to a Human Cannonball text label with a date code stamp of 04 2.

Does anyone else own any text labels with date codes stamped into the end labels?

List of confirmed text labels with date stamps on end labels:

Basic Programming	   341R
Blackjack			   512R, 492R
Bowling (Red)		   331R		  
Circus Atari			331R
Concentration		   062, 172, 172R, 292
Football				331R
Fun with Numbers		072, 492R
Human Cannonball		042
Maze Craze			  331R
Video Olympics		  321

Edited by Christophero Sly

Just taking a guess here, but any cart that never had a picture label prior to 1986 would be a strong possibility. I don't have many text labels to begin with as I don't collect them. But assuming they didn't go out of print, any cart that was sold between 81-85 or so until the pic labels came out, that never existed as a pic is game..

Concentration

Flag Capture

Black jack

Fun with Numbers

Any others??

Maybe even some pal versions of text labels with the stamped dates too. Just due to marketing & when they changed over from text to pic. I wouldn't know, but there may be some here too..

edit to add, I have two copies of Human Cannonball pic label out right now, and one has no stamp, the other is 521 so Dec 1981 last week of the year. Surprising to see a 172 on a text label,, where they all manufacturered in one plant, or several? Where labels printed in bulk, or printed at more than one locale? Maybe the stamp was the last step in assembly before they sealed the boxes, and there were stacks of the older text labels found after the stamping process started? Maybe they were being sent to Canada?? Many questions I guess, no real way to know the truth. But 17 weeks is a a long minute.

Edited by video game addict

Just taking a guess here, but any cart that never had a picture label prior to 1986 would be a strong possibility. I don't have many text labels to begin with as I don't collect them. But assuming they didn't go out of print, any cart that was sold between 81-85 or so until the pic labels came out, that never existed as a pic is game..

Concentration

Flag Capture

Black jack

Fun with Numbers

Any others??

Maybe the discontinued games, Slot Machine and Miniature Golf.

where they all manufacturered in one plant, or several? Where labels printed in bulk, or printed at more than one locale?  Maybe the stamp was the last step in assembly before they sealed the boxes, and there were stacks of the older text labels found after the stamping process started?  Maybe they were being sent to Canada??  Many questions I guess, no real way to know the truth.

I think the stamp was the last step prior to boxing and that it was added after the cart was assembled and the labels attached. I would also guess that there was more than one printing locale.

Yeah, lot's of questions, but maybe if several collectors are able to post additional dates we can make some reasoned guesses. I'm curious just to know what other text label cartridges have date stamps.

I dug out my boxed concentration and it has a text label with a date stamp of "092"
Very interesting.

Seems to be a pattern here...

My text Concentration has the stamp 292

Wow, that's August of 1982. Indeed there does seem to be a pattern.

I also found a copy (maybe two) of blackjack (yellow text) on Atariguide that appears to have a date stamp. I can't exactly tell or make out the numbers though because the cart is in a plastic bag.

That's three confirmed titles, so far.

*EDIT: Moved the list to the first post of this thread

I'll look through rest of Atariguide's inventory and see if I can find some more stamped text labels.

Edited by Christophero Sly

How do you figure the date, does it go by the Julian dating system? I'll go through my text labels as soon as I get a chance.

959794[/snapback]

The code is WWY, where WW is the week and Y is the last digit of the year.

If you want to see how the weeks fell, go to Calendar - USA - 1982, or get out your old calendars! (If you don't have a 1982 calendar, the dates and days were the same in 1993 and 1999, though some holidays differ due to being based on the lunar calendar.) The ISO 8601 standard defines week numbers such that Week 01 is the first week, Monday-Sunday in which Thursday falls in the new year (January 4 is therefore always in Week 01). Thus, sometimes January 1, 2, or 3 may fall in Week 52 (or 53!) of the previous year, or December 29, 30 or 31 may fall in Week 01 of the new year.

For calendar year 1982, January 1, 2 and 3 were part of 1981 Week 52, and 1982 Week 52 included January 1 and 2 of 1983.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I've also got a concentration with 062. I also have that weird Star Ship cart with the big yellow lettered end label with 452. Not sure if you'd include that as text though. :ponder: On a side note, a bunch of my rares are all stamped...Crazy Climber, Obelix, Pengo & many other silver labelled carts.

I also have a red text Bowling with 33 1 R. :)

I've also got a concentration with 062. I also have that weird Star Ship cart with the big yellow lettered end label with 452. Not sure if you'd include that as text though. :ponder: On a side note, a bunch of my rares are all stamped...Crazy Climber, Obelix, Pengo & many other silver labelled carts.

I also have a red text Bowling with 33 1 R. :)

Thanks for the submissions. I generally group that Star Ship variant with the picture labels, so I won't list it here.

I'm also curious about the Sears picture labels. Many of mine are stamped. I'd be very interested to know over what date ranges those variants were produced.

Damn! 24 pic labels with a stamp and only 6 text labels with a stamp for my Sears collection. Also the text carts are all the 49 series model #'s with the stamp. None of the other text versions had one. If you want me to list them then give me another 10-15 minutes. :P

961385[/snapback]

I didn't mean for you to go to any trouble. I was just thinking out loud. Nevertheless, thanks for checking on them. :) I'm going to go check my Sears labels now and see if there is any overlap in dates of production between text and picture labels for the same titles.

Maybe I should start another thread and see if anyone else would be willing to list the date stamps on their Sears picture labels.

(Had to make me open up all those Sears boxes... :roll: ;) )

Sears text carts with stamps:

49-75163 Asteroids 64 cart - 501

49-75113 Basketball - 481 (I have two of these with the same stamp)

49-75166 Missile Command - 12 (wierd that it is only two digits)

49-75119 Night Driver - 022

49-75104 Pong Sports - 441

49-75127 Warlords - 341

Most of the Sears picture carts also had stamps, a few didn't though