IGNORED

Qb Special Edition - Announcement

Andrew Davie

Thank you to all those who have preordered Qb, and especially to those who have paid for their unit so quickly. I am finding myself swamped in emails at the moment and it is quite impossible for me to answer all in the time available. So, if you've sent me an email recently and haven't received a reply - please be aware it is taking me 3 or 4 DAYS to get to a reply. I would appreciate if you were as patient as possible, and limited "did you get my email?" emails as much as possible.

Cheers

A

First QB special edition boxes are shipping tomorrow. I'm a few days behind schedule with the finalisation of the manual, so I'll be shipping the initial lot economy air sans manual, and the manual separately in about a week via air mail. THey should arrive about the same time.

Everything is looking good. Organising production and sales of 100 units is way more work than I'd have expected. Things will be smoother, though, after the first few go out the door.

There's a reasonable chance there will be a few spots available, so if you're looking to get on the preorder list, just drop me a note.

Cheers

A

This is most excellent news Andrew!

American postal service being what it is...I probably will get the instruction booklet well ahead of the actual item. As an example I recently had a package come from Ontario, Canada. I paid for Priority..and it still took 2 weeks to get to me!!!

So...I am being optimistic and setting my QB's arrival at like 12-16 weeks...hehe..

Either way...I am glad that Andrew is being successful in getting these put together and more importantly...that people are buying these up.

Excellent!!

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

Here it is, hot off the presses... the very first production Qb Special Edition package in all its glory! This one goes to Albert, lucky sod!

Wow, that looks fantastic! You even printed a jewel case insert, and it looks like it was customized for that particular application! Very nice. Thanks for the pictures!

..Al

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

The final phase of Qb production has been much more time-consuming and difficult than I had expected. But as I had hoped, I've learned a lot about manfuacturing product and getting it out the door, marketing, etc.

I'm proud to announce that the first Qb Special Edition shipped today, to Albert of AtariAge. I'll get a couple out tomorrow, and we should see a steady stream after that. So hang on everyone, it won't be too much longer.

Looking forward to seeing a review from Albert when his arrives (in about 10 days).

Cheers

A

A couple of important announcements...

I have placed a status report online at www.2headed.com/qbstatus.txt - The status report is designed to help people see how the deliveries are going, who is allocated what number, etc., etc. Please allow a day or two for me to get the whole file up to date - obviously there are a lot of vacant spaces in it right now. I just wanted to get it online sooner rather than later. I'll keep that file up-to-date as I do packing/delivery so people can see how things are going.

There's one other announcement - something that has been bothering me for a week or so. One or two people have recently asked me for, or assumed they are getting, a PAL version. When I ordered cartridges from Hozer, this was done in one batch of 100 NTSC cartridges. In fact there does not currently exist a PAL version of the special edition, due to some changes I made to the graphics (there's no ROOM for a PAL variant). So this leaves me in a dilemma. Whilst it should be possible to make a PAL version, this would require...

a) Building a PAL version

b) Junking an already-produced NTSC cartridge.

c) Ordering a new cartridge with PAL contents

It is not feasible (time, economics) for me to do this. Carts cost me US$10 each; I can't afford to junk any. Consequently, I have decided *NOT* to produce PAL versions. I *WILL* be offering money-back to those who have preordered and paid, but who do not wish to purchase the Special Edition due to the non-availability of a PAL version. I will, however, also offer those people the option of buying a PAL cart of Qb from Hozer at cost (that is, $11/cart instead of $16). Though an unfortunate oversight on my part, this decision might free up a few spots for people on the waiting-list.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

I have placed a status report online at

The above file is now up-to-date, and also contains a list of people who preordered but who have not replied to my emails with confirmation.

Those who are on the preoder list and who haven't received an offer will be receiving one very shortly.

quote:

Originally posted by DEBRO:

Hey Andrew, how about a screen shot of the Special Edition running. It has updated graphics, right?

It does, but it's essentially the same. I went with a coloured playfield/background and extended the screen below the scoreline. It's not radically different, just tidied up a bit.

The SE binary is only available on the carts, by the way. Hopefully nobody will be rude enough to dump/release it.

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

Have I understand it right, when nothing stand behind the name that the money is arrived?

Then I am happy that my money is arrived fast and saftly.

And again, can't wait to get my GAME.

Yes, if there's nothing there then my records indicate payment received. If I've not contacted you individually to confirm it's because I'm totally swamped in this manufacturing thing. So, my apologies.

Clearly, everyone just HAS to wait. I'm getting through them as fast as I can. Anyone who doesn't think this is reasonable (waiting) will receive a full refund. Please remember this is a homebrew effort, and its a work of art! It's worth waiting for.