Strat-O-Gems Deluxe Label Contest

85 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,651 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:54 PM

Contest Results!

There were many great entries submitted to the Strat-O-Gems Deluxe Label Contest, and it fell on programmer John Payson to choose a single entry from those submitted. After much deliberation, John chose one of Jeff Crouch's designs as the label to grace the shipping version of Strat-O-Gems Deluxe. Jeff's winning label design now appears on all copies of Strat-O-Gems Deluxe sold through the AtariAge Store, including the cover of the manual put together by Tony Morse. You can view Jeff's winning entry here and all of the submissions here. Congratulations to Jeff Crouch and to all the participants who took the time to enter the contest and show off their talents!

Sorry for the delay in posting the results!

---

Strat-O-Gems Deluxe is a new Atari 2600 game by John Payson, originally created for the 2005 Minigame Competition that bears similarities to Columns, Jewel Master, and Salu's Acid Drop. In Strat-O-Gems Deluxe, colored gems fall from the top of the screen in groups of three. Any time three or more adjacent gems of the same color line up vertically, horizontally, or diagonally they will disappear. Any gems above them will then fall down; if these create new groups of three or more gems, those too will disappear, leading to chain reactions. Your job is to score as many reactions and chain reactions as possible before the gems reach the foul line. If any gems remain over the foul line after all reactions are complete, the game will end.

AtariAge and John Payson are sponsoring a contest to create original artwork for Strat-O-Gems Deluxe. This label artwork will appear on all copies of Strat-O-Gems Deluxe, which will be available through the AtariAge Store. The winner of the contest will receive a copy of Strat-O-Gems Deluxe in cartridge form, adorned with their winning label design, as well as a $50 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store.

You can learn more about the contest and how to enter by following this link:

Strat-O-Gems Deluxe Label Contest

Good luck!!

#2 AtariAger OFFLINE  

AtariAger

VideoLifer

• 2,498 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:13 PM

:cool:

#3 liquid_sky OFFLINE  

liquid_sky

Quad-Strainer

• 15,446 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:23 PM

sounds like one heck of a fun game.. my art is bad but I am going to attempt something :)

#4 jferio OFFLINE  

jferio

Dragonstomper

• 601 posts
  • I mash buttons randomly.

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:26 PM

Just got my first entry in. My emulator can't play the game, but I'm willing to try. :D

#5 galaxy warrior OFFLINE  

galaxy warrior

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:48 PM

im working on one as i type. :D

#6 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,117 posts
  • Staying Frosty

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:41 PM

Strat-O-Gems is an excellent game! I've been hoping to see it on a cart. It's great to see a label contest happening for it, too.

If anyone's interested, I've been posting a series of tutorials on making artwork for game labels in my blog. There are some Photoshop tips in there, some art theory, and hopefully some useful stuff, too. :D I've just added part 6, and should be getting the final installment posted tonight or tomorrow.

#7 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,512 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:43 PM

Just got my first entry in. My emulator can't play the game, but I'm willing to try.  :D

View Post

Everyone who is still using one of those old, outdated emulators: Please just download a new one. :roll: They are free.

#8 jferio OFFLINE  

jferio

Dragonstomper

• 601 posts

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:08 PM

Just got my first entry in. My emulator can't play the game, but I'm willing to try.  :D

View Post

Everyone who is still using one of those old, outdated emulators: Please just download a new one. :roll: They are free.

View Post

My machine is such an antique, it won't even try to run a newer emulator.

#9 snorlaxnut OFFLINE  

snorlaxnut

Stargunner

• 1,045 posts
  • Always 50% Snorlax, and always 50% nut!

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:26 PM

Edit:Removed my label. I didn't want my label up anymore. Move on to the next post.

Edited by snorlaxnut, Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:13 PM.

#10 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,512 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:42 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

z26 is written mostly in assembly, so even newer versions will run fine on slow Pentium I chips.

#11 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash

• 19,015 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:05 AM

z26 is written mostly in assembly, so even newer versions will run fine on slow Pentium I chips.

Especially the DOS version (1.58) works pretty well even on a 100 Mhz PC.

#12 Cybergoth ONLINE  

Cybergoth

Quadrunner

• 8,641 posts
  • This is Sparta!

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:12 AM

Hi there!

I think the title GFX look already cool enough for an end label :)

Greetings,
Manuel

#13 jferio OFFLINE  

jferio

Dragonstomper

• 601 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

View Post

Not normally a problem, but I'm running on a Mac under OS9, and can't run OSX in order to run Stella 2.

#14 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,117 posts
  • Staying Frosty

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:11 AM

Not normally a problem, but I'm running on a Mac under OS9, and can't run OSX in order to run Stella 2.

That's too bad, but I know what you're going through. It took me awhile before I was finally able to afford a new Mac and move up to OS X. It was worth it, although I'm still paying it off. ;)

#15 pmpddytim OFFLINE  

pmpddytim

River Patroller

• 2,257 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 AM

My first couple. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• viwegems.png
  • viewgemsend.png
  • eyeend.png
  • eyemain.png

Edited by pmpddytim, Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:55 AM.

#16 AtariAger OFFLINE  

AtariAger

VideoLifer

• 2,498 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:14 PM

That eyeball is freaky! :ponder:

But cool!

:D

#17 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,512 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:32 PM

View Post

View Post

View Post

View Post

View Post

Oh :| The latest build for OS9 is Stella 1.2, which *might* work. most new stuff seems to require 1.3, however.

#18 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,399 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:33 PM

View Post

Try some of the early version on http://www.atariage....pic=77817&st=50 the original thread; see if they work better for you.

#19 jferio OFFLINE  

jferio

Dragonstomper

• 601 posts

Posted Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:46 PM

View Post

Try some of the early version on http://www.atariage....pic=77817&st=50 the original thread; see if they work better for you.

View Post

Yeah, that works. Must be the more advanced stuff in the later ROM.

#20 galaxy warrior OFFLINE  

galaxy warrior

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:33 PM

heres 2 i submitted :D
1STRATOGEMS_1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1STRATOGEMS_2.jpg

Edited by galaxy warrior, Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:33 PM.

#21 Chickybaby OFFLINE  

Chickybaby

Quadrunner

• 6,156 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:59 PM

Columns & Jewel Master are 2 ofmy favorite games along with Tetris. I didn't know Acid Drop was similar as well. :ponder: If I had a computer drawing/art program I'd love to include an entry for the label contest however the only art I usually do is on paper I also have computer problems and can't run an emulator so I can't wait to try it!
Good luck all and this looks really awesome :!:

#22 galaxy warrior OFFLINE  

galaxy warrior

Chopper Commander

• 223 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:20 PM

heres another . :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1STRATOGEMS_3.png
  • 1stratogems_title3.png

#23 pmpddytim OFFLINE  

pmpddytim

River Patroller

• 2,257 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 PM

Bored tonight so I tried another.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stratfallfront.png
  • stratfallend.png

#24 jferio OFFLINE  

jferio

Dragonstomper

• 601 posts

Posted Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:18 PM

Since they haven't yet added the first few entries to the contest page, here's mine.stratogems_front.png stratogems_end.png

#25 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,399 posts

Posted Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:50 AM

Some interesting entries so far. A few comments:

-1- The font in the title screen is closer to "Britanic Bold" than Peignot (my mistake in the contest page). I definitely prefer "Britanic Bold" to "Chicago"

-2- I am not partial to "Saloon"-style fonts.

-3- I would very much like to have some sort of horizontal striping on the logo, though it doesn't have to be a uniform "50% duty cycle" pattern. Neon is an interesting notion, though some smoothing of the shape of the "A" might be appropriate.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users