You are Dig Dug, the underground miner. With your jet-powered shovel, you create intricate, subterranean mazes. Ever on the watch for vegetable prizes, you must also look out for the fierce Fygar and mean Pooka that lurk underground. Their touch kills! Worse, these two meanies can transform into spooky ghosts that will appear out of nowhere and haunt you to death.
- Game Name: Dig Dug
- Released By: Atari, 1982
- Left Difficulty: N/A
- Right Difficulty: N/A
- Game Mode: Normal Game Mode
- Chosen By: Voch
As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be video game addict! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week! (Already done)
If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!
Current High Scores
- 558,600 (SpiceWare) [+11]
- 476,040 (khryssun) [+10]
- 464,450 (keilbaca) [+9]
- 440,970 (video game addict) [+8]
- 382,990 (Cybergoth) [+7]
- 311,130 (Voch) [+6]
- 233,110 (scogey) [+5]
- 221,660 (Mind Game) [+4]
- 187,240 (silverpoodleman) [+3]
- 186,220 (supercat) [+2]
- 157,000 (Recycled) [+1]
- 128,220 (graywest) [+1]
- 107,730 (Goochman) [+1]
- 84,460 (Omegamatrix) [+1]
- 49,190 (davepesc) [+1]
- 46,200 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
- 33,920 (Keir) [+1]
- 33,090 (Fellow Atari Man) [+1]
- 29,780 (homerwannabee) [+1]
- 16,710 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
- Cybergoth [+2]
- None yet
- (Easy Mode)
- 2,652,680 (Robert Macauley)
- 2,497,060 (Scott Stilphen)
- 2,110,800 (Todd Rogers)
Member Listvideo game addict, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch
Scoring Points in Dig DugComing soon
Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.
What's that? You don't have the manual? AtariAge has both a typed copy and a scanned copy online. In case you're too lazy to read the manual, here's the hints it provides:
- At higher rounds your priority should be to get the bonus vegetables because they're worth more points than destroying meanies.
- The prize will not appear in a round until two boulders have fallen and there are fewer than seven meanies on the screen.
- The last meanie on a screen will always try to escape, thus ending the round. So, if just one meanie remains and the prize hasn't appeared, you may want to stun that meanie long enough to allow the prize to appear.
- Since the last meanie will always try to escape at the top left side of the screen, you can strategically position yourself above ground on the left and wait for the meanie to emerge then quickly blow him up.
- You can't pump through the soil, so back off if a ghost is approaching through the dirt toward your tunnel. Wait until the ghost gets indise the tunnel then quickly turn and pump it up.
- To crush a ghost, tunnel under a rock and wait (as long as you don't move, the rock won't fall). When a ghost covers the rock, quickly move out of the way and the ghost will be crushed.
- A good way to trap and squash several creatures at once is to tunnel straight up under a rock and wait for the meanies to follow. When they get close, quickly move out of the way to the right or left. They will be trapped in the path of the falling rock.
- If a meanie is pursuing you, try to get to a tunnel. Since you move more quickly in a tunnel than through soil, this gives you a better chance to escape.
- Try to group meanies behind you by stunning them and then running. (You can run right through a stunned meanie.) When several are in pursuit, lead them toward a boulder and drop it on them for high points.
-If a ghost is heading toward the surface, try digging out some of the dirt in their path, which will cause them to revert to their normal form, which slows them down a little, and gives you a chance to catch them.
-Go for the enemies near the top first, otherwise they'll easily run away when the round is almost complete.
-Don't try to go for the bonus prize in every level, as you may end up accidentally crushing yourself or getting hit by an enemy while you're working on dropping a boulder.
-When taking on a Fygar, as dangerous as it may be, attack him from the side since you get more points as opposed to attacking him from above or below.
- Never horizontally align with a dragon, always stay vertically separated.
- Quickly Triggering the fire button will blow up enemies faster then just holding it.
- If you get cornered, you can easily kill 2-4 enemies in a row vertically by very rapid firing.
- You can attack through small walls!
- Unfortunately the dragons can as well...
- Often you don't need to pump up your enemies until they explode. Just pump em up a little to slow them down.
- You need to pump an enemy thrice to exlopde it. Pumping it once or twice will slow it down for different intervals.
- If an enemy goes from double size to normal, just pump once again. You can hold it in place indefinitely by that.
- You get amazing points for grouping enemies like that and killing lots of them at once.
- Again don't try grouping tricks horizontally when there's dragons in the pack
- Timing is everything. Learn how to wait under a boulder until enemies and especially ghosts are close enough.
- Not sure if it's in the manual - a boulder will destroy small walls, so you can dig a tunnel from a monsters starting position to a boulder without releasing the monster.
- Learn the timing for dropping boulders onto those enemy starting places.
- The game has a certain rhythm. Try feeling it. For example most enemies will *ghost* at the same time.
- Don't move close to the edge of an enemies starting position when the enemy does as well - It might ghost just that moment! Rather pause a while and see what it does.
- Enemies will only ghost at turning points / corners
- Don't kill the second to last enemy, until you have the fruit!
- If you did anyway, try slowing down the last enemy by pumping it twice, so you gain a few seconds that may allow you catching the fruit.
- Once you hear the alarm, quickly kill all enemies on screen, don't try any funky tricks anymore
> It's annoying the way monsters don't want to be squished...
In a quick manouver you can face down, pump up a monster once and then move to the side. That way the monster is trapped in place until it is hit