IGNORED

What classic 2600 game would make the best movie?

Rhindle The Red

What classic 2600 game would make the best movie?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What classic 2600 game would make the best movie?

• Adventure
    • Combat
    • Death Trap
    • Demon Attack
    • Dragonfire
    • Enduro
    • H.E.R.O.
    • Haunted House
    • Kaboom
    • Megamania
    • Pitfall
    • River Raid
    • Swordquest
    • Yar's Revenge
    • other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

And by "classic 2600 game", I mean one from the day and one that originated on the 2600 (i.e. not ported from another system or the arcades, and not a licensed product).

And to be clear, the question is which would make the best basis for a movie, regardless of whether the game was any good or not.

I tried to choose ones I thought had good potential, but if you've got something else in mind, there is everyone's favorite catch-all, "other".

This poll was suggested by my sister when I asked her if she had any ideas since it was so close to midnight and I wanted to get this poll in before then.

And by "classic 2600 game", I mean one from the day and one that originated on the 2600 (i.e. not ported from another system or the arcades, and not a licensed product).

969790[/snapback]

In that case, you need to remove Combat since it was essentially a "port" of several arcade games with "Tank" in their titles plus Bi-Planes and Jet Fighter. Although I would be curious as to how a movie could combine all of them!

Yars' Revenge is also a gray area since it was (loosely) based on Star Castle.

In that case, you need to remove Combat since it was essentially a "port" of several arcade games with "Tank" in their titles plus Bi-Planes and Jet Fighter. Although I would be curious as to how a movie could combine all of them!

Similarities aside, Combat is not a port of anything.

Yars' Revenge is also a gray area since it was (loosely) based on Star Castle.

The story isn't. And if I didn't count things that are (loosely) based on other things, I'd have to remove Pitfall for being too similar to Indiana Jones.

I voted "Other" because Pitfall II, in my opinion, has the most plot elements of any 2600 game and therefore would make the best basis of a movie.

969934[/snapback]

I *knew* I should have said "Pitfall / Pitfall II" together as one item. It was late. I was tired. I guess I thought that was implied.

I'd like to see how someone might make Megamania into a movie, but it'd probably go direct to video. When I thought about it, I had to vote for Adventure, since it's the only game with a goal and ending (movie ends when you find the chalise). Even Pitfall would go on forever (20 minute movie?).

I went with the obvious for me, Adventure..

But could you imagine the storyline for Kaboom? Why is the convict dropping bombs? What mad vehicle is he using to jettison back and forth so quickly? Why was he in jail, to begin with, and how did he escape?

The hero saving the bombs from landing, how did he get in this position? What adversity did he face prior to carrying water buckets around? Is there a love interest?

:ponder:

I don't know if Dark Chambers would fly or not, but Guantlet would make an interesting movie. I think that this year is the year for videogame -> movie conversions, because the Doom movie recently came out, and I heard that a Metroid movie, and a Diablo movie were in the works.

Swordquest would be good---if they made it into a variation of 976-EVIL :twisted: ...

Combat could be the next Rambo movie; after all the game and Rambo both look pretty old :twisted: ...

Kaboom would be made into a slapstick comedty about a wacky terrorist, no doubt :twisted: ...

Yar's Revenge wouldn't make it out of the starting block, given that the idea of one lone soldier destroying the enemy's megaweapon CAME FROM STAR WARS!!! :roll:...

So I voted "other". I'm going with Demons to Diamonds. I think it could be made into a pretty good kids' movie--or at least better than those Three Ninjas movies :P ....

(By the by, I love Yar's Revenge and would love to see it as a movie...but, like Star Castle, it shares too many basic story elements with the original Star Wars. Lucas is cracking down on some of the parodies of his films; you think he'd seriously allow a legit movie that borrows so much from that box-office blockbuster?)

I think midnight mutants starring Hermon Monster would make a good movie.  Even though it is a 7800 game.  :ponder:

970590[/snapback]

Did you mean Herman Munster? That was a character portrayed originally by Fred Gwynne (now deceased). I don't doubt that in the very near future it will be feasible to make new movies "starring" dead actors, but do we really want to go there?