IGNORED

Megafile 30 boot problem.

AlmostRice

Hi guys,

I just got a Megafile 30 and am trying to boot it on my Mega ST. When I try to boot it I get:

---------------------------

Atari Hard Disk Driver

AHDI v4.00 Jul 30 1990

BOOTLOADED

50 FAT/root

50 data/dir cache buffers in 52k

CACHEnnn Copyright © 1989, Atari Corp.

40 extra folders in 5280 bytes

This cycles through and reboots constantly. What does this mean? What do I need to do to fix it.

I also have a FA*ST HD. The drive does not boot anymore and there is no drive recognized. It worked at first, but did some reboots for a while and now there is no drive recognized during a boot. Any help would be great. Is the FA*ST havea SCSI inside? I just wanted to know if there is anything I needed to do before I crack it open.

Thanks

1) There is a bad sector under whatever progam in the AUTO folder follows the cache program, or

2) There is a corrupted/bad program in whatever program in the AUTO folder follows teh cache program. (If there are no other programs then this would apply to any desk accessories are loading)

I would first disable everything but CACHEnnn in the AUTO folder and see if it still boots. If it does, start re-enabling your AUTO programs one by one until it dies, and that will tell you what program's bollixing up the works. Apply this to the desk accessories if there are no other AUTO programs to disable.

If there are no AUTO programs or desk accessories but you run a GUI shell such as NeoDesk, try disabling that.

If none of that pans out run a virus scanner on the hard drive. Just for kicks you might want to try scanning/defragging the hard drive with something like DiamondEdge too.

I would first disable everything but CACHEnnn  in the AUTO folder and see if it still boots.  If it does, start re-enabling your AUTO programs one by one until it dies, and that will tell you what program's bollixing up the works.  Apply this to the desk accessories if there are no other AUTO programs to disable.

979875[/snapback]

How do I do this. I tried to boot from a floppy to access the HD, but I am still unable to see anything on the Megafile. I tried to create a boot floppy with AHDI.prg, cache064.prg and foldr100.prg in the AUTO folder of the floppy. The HD still gets booted. I tried holding Alt. during boot but that did not change the results.

To be honest it's been years since I've had an ST with a hard drive (I'd like to get one for my current ST though) so I don't remember how to boot from the floppy to enable the hard drive. I'm sure it's possible though (else how can you format a new hard drive?)

I'm sure someone here knows this.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I just got a Megafile 30 and am trying to boot it on my Mega ST.  When I try to boot it I get:

Atari Hard Disk Driver

AHDI v4.00 Jul 30 1990

BOOTLOADED

50 FAT/root

50 data/dir cache buffers in 52k

CACHEnnn Copyright © 1989, Atari Corp.

40 extra folders in 5280 bytes

This cycles through and reboots constantly. What does this mean? What do I need to do to fix it.

I also have a FA*ST HD. The drive does not boot anymore and there is no drive recognized. It worked at first, but did some reboots for a while and now there is no drive recognized during a boot. Any help would be great. Is the FA*ST havea SCSI inside? I just wanted to know if there is anything I needed to do before I crack it open.

Thanks

979861[/snapback]

The Atari MegaFile30 uses an RLL (MFM) hard disk, which are almost impossible to find today. So, if the hard drive is bad, good luck finding a replacement.

The FA*ST hard drive I believe is made by ICD, so it should have an ICD SCSI controller and a SCSI hard disk inside.

Supra made a really nice hard drive for the Atari ST computers. I have one hooked up to my Atari 1040STe and my Atari Mega ST4. My Atari MegaFile 30 is just for looks, I do not actually use it. I would suggest setting up your Atari MegaFile30 just for looks and replacing the hard drive in the FA*ST unit. Get a SCSI hard drive out of an old Macintosh computer. :D

I would get a hold of the latest Atari HDX utils and do a complete low level format of the HD, it should map out bad sectors and should do the trick! I had the same problem with my Megafile20 and after the format it works fine.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...