IGNORED

New MGA Atari Tabletop/Handhelds

Retro Rogue

Thought I'd post these on a new thread, as these are different the Coleco style ones brought up in the other thread. These are entitled the "Classic Arcade SEries" and meant to be like mini-standup cabinets, complete with a screw in joystick that comes with it. Graphics wise, they're the same LCD's as the previous MGA releases. Selling for $9 and change at Target, and they have Missile Command, Super Breakout, Asteroids, Centipede, and Pac-Man.

small3.jpgsmall4.jpg

small2.jpg

Thought I'd post these on a new thread, as these are different the Coleco style ones brought up in the other thread.  These are entitled the "Classic Arcade SEries" and meant to be like mini-standup cabinets, complete with a screw in joystick that comes with it.  Graphics wise, they're the same LCD's as the previous MGA releases.  Selling for $9 and change at Target, and they have Missile Command, Super Breakout, Asteroids, Centipede, and Pac-Man.

small3.jpgsmall4.jpg

small2.jpg

980256[/snapback]

Cute :)

Here we go again!...

Listen up[, people. There have been scads of threads about MGA.

Yes, the new shells for the games look cute. That's the point.

Some years ago, MGA picked up a batch of licenses for handhelds. They made cheap LCD games that barely resemble the games in question and packaged them in flat cases, the idea being handhelds that could be slipped with ease into a pocket or backpack.

Those went over like a lead balloon.

Some years pass, and MGA is stuck with a crapload of said games. Then the plug-in game-controllers come out with their retro-looking shells...

...and someone at MGA gets an idea.

They gut the older set of games, toss out the old shells, and make new shells that look like miniature arcade cabinets. They sell these at double the price of the older versions.

These sell somewhat better...but not good enough.

So MGA goes back to the drawing board and come up with new "retro-looking" shells for their games to unload more of these games. These look like the old cheap/knockoff handhelds of days gone by.

These they also sell for twice the price of the older versions at different stores in different parts of the country.

Notice one thing I didn't say.

I didn't say they changed the games within the shells.

That's because they didn't.

Those crappy flat handhelds that had versions of Asteroids and Pac-Man that you might give to a nephew as a cheap gift but would never want yourself?

Yep, that's these games. All they did was change the shell. Hey, they gotta unload those overproduced crappy little games somehow, right?

I hate to be snippy here...but can we get on the same page now?

MGA is the poor man's Tiger. They're trying to unload crappy games whose only real selling points are their licenses. They've now had three shell designs for these games.

And the way this company operates, I expect six more versions are down the road.

Yes, MGA has made horrible handheld games since the earliest I can remember which was early 90's. I still have my Ms. PacMan handheld from MGA, which I was so excited for back in 1992 or so. Way before retro stuff hit its peak. And after playing it and another MGA made handheld I quickly realized MGA stuff is junk. Even my keychain space invaders is better than the MGA games.

However I can easily be swayed by a pretty casing with retro artwork.

I always felt Tiger made bad handhelds too. Though it's more of a mixed bag as some turn out okay, or at least they try to do some interesting things with their handhelds. Their 80's stuff like Top Gun, Ninja Turtles, Contra, etc... are really bad.

The way I look at it these days. If I want to play portable I play my Game Boy SP. :)

Yes, MGA has made horrible handheld games since the earliest I can remember which was early 90's. I still have my Ms. PacMan handheld from MGA, which I was so excited for back in 1992 or so. Way before retro stuff hit its peak. And after playing it and another MGA made handheld I quickly realized MGA stuff is junk. Even my keychain space invaders is better than the MGA games.

However I can easily be swayed by a pretty casing with retro artwork.

I always felt Tiger made bad handhelds too. Though it's more of a mixed bag as some turn out okay, or at least they try to do some interesting things with their handhelds. Their 80's stuff like Top Gun, Ninja Turtles, Contra, etc... are really bad.

The way I look at it these days. If I want to play portable I play my Game Boy SP.  :)

980531[/snapback]

They are available at The Source (formally Radio Shack) in Canada for $14.99

Not bad looking, more of a novelty item I think. I wouldn't pay more than $5.00 for them for that kind of game play.

• 1 year later...
They are available at The Source (formally Radio Shack) in Canada for $14.99

Not bad looking, more of a novelty item I think. I wouldn't pay more than $5.00 for them for that kind of game play.

Sorry for bumping such an old post, but these silly handhelds are being sold at Amazon for $4.39 each now.

Arcade PacMan

thanx for posting Im gonna order the Pac Man one this weekend.