IGNORED

Atari people rule (i.e. StanJr)

Chris++

Everyone in this world is constantly looking over their shoulders to make sure that they're not missing out on anything they have coming to them. They're also on the lookout for anyone who might be getting something that they're not -- so they can complain about it, or try to stop it.

The dollar rules everything in our culture. People's passions and fascinations, not to mention any vestige of brotherhood or manners, seem extinct. Except in the case of classic gaming enthusiasts!

I don't know what it is about old video games, but those who collect them and/or love to play them have represented, for years, the only part of the world that has saved my optimism and my faith in people. I have consistently run into the nicest, most intelligent, most helpful and most humorous people in the world via my gaming hobby. No better place is an example of this than this very forum, where it seems as if all the kindest and all the most intelligent are assembled.

Seriously, think about it: How many people post on this forum? And yet, not a single flame, not one overtly rude disposition or serious argument. Everyone's here for the love of the game, the fun of engaging in our most favorite form of interactive entertainment.

Speaking of all that, StanJr was kind enough to send me a Frostbite cart without asking for anything in return. Where else would you find a gesture like that? A music forum? A stamp-collecting forum? I don't think so. No way.

(Now, if I could only get Stan to let me know what HE needs and stop being so selfless, so I could return the favor...!)

Thanks for being who you are, people.

CF

This is a unique group of people, but there are some bad apples in the bushel, they are just harder to find and thankfully less vocal.

I look at it this way, I love atari, so do other people. If I've got something extra that somebody is looking for, or if I can get it for them, why not give it to them. What am I out, $3 or $5? The enjoyment somebody gets from whatever I get them will be much greater than $5. And besides, maybe one day they will do the same for somebody else. This is usually why my trade bin is empty.

You can never go wrong being good to your fellow people.

Stan

I have dome to really dig this site and message area... I don't post alot.. but i read alot... and most of the people here sound like a great group to have a pizza/atari party with..(with drugged pizza of course so I could pick through your collections that is.)

everyone rocks here....

In this day and age someone doing something for someone else with out wanting something in return is unheard of! Yet stanjr sent me a copy of frogger and joel park sent me a copy yars revenge and why? Beceuse i couldnt find them hunting and didnt want to spend so much on such common games buying the online. Now most people wouldnt care they would say hell let him get them the best way he can but not these two they sent me the games not wanting anything in return! On a side note someone else sent me a frogger cart and i dont remember who is was so thanks to ya too and sorry i forget who you are.

You are right Federico, this place has a great bunch of people. I am just glad as hell that I found a place with other people who love Atari just as much as I do and can give me information I need about games I never knew existed.

I just want to follow what you all have started. AtariAge readers just simply rock.

I used to read the RGVAC boards, and met some great people there, but was flamed for selling some games to pay for grad school. No one here is out to make a fortune, but we all know things cost money.

I am thankful for finding this group. I am also thankful to Al and all the others that allow us a medium to share. I would gladly contribute to keep this forum alive.

Cassidy

BTW, StanJr. is just the man, no two ways around it.

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

The kindness of the Atari communtiy is never more noticeable than at the Philly classic/other conventions.

Heh, Kindness and Philly is contradiction in terms. I'm orginally from Philly and I know it can be pretty rough. But you're Everyone at the conventions seem very nice. And I always have a lot of fun.

I'm one of those bad apples you've heard about, but hear little from. :P

I can't help it, I like Kangaroo for Atari 5200! I love the crappy sounds, I like ringing the bell, and I love the blaring loud distorted music!

Also, I've only been a couple clicks away from posting off-topic on the Atari 2600 message board. I don't know how long I can restrain myself! And if the moderators don't get there in time to move the topic, the readers may be scarred forever!!

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

AtariAge has a fine mix of weirdos and all-around good guys who are also weirdos. I've never regretted for a second joining this community. Liveinabin has helped me get a copy of Shenmue II, and I sent him some Froot Loops, then he gave me Pokemon for my sad, naked Gameboy. StanJr, well, he's StanJr...and where else can a girl have mock screenshots made just for her? Noble Kale and Osmeroid were kind enough to offer help with my school work (though it turned out I didn't need it) and I've had countless fun conversations with most of the rest of you guys.

AtariAge is a great place to be with questions, problems, or good news. Or strange news. The people here are largely kind and interested. If another community as courteous and fun as this one exists on the net, I've never heard of it.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I'm taking this to be a
good
thing.

Stan's been good to your's truly as well. He sent me a copy of Laser blast, and 2 others (I can't remember the nams of right now)...

Laserblast was hard for him to send me, being his favorite game and all.

I can really relate to your comments Chris. My one true release during the day is to hop on board here.

It's great to meet Atari geeks worldwide and I completely agree with you about the folks here. So many people are not only helpful and generous but great fun & really engaging - they all have something to offer whether it is Atari related or otherwise.

I think Dave has pretty much summed up my regard of the guys posting on this board here

BTW Perhaps we should do something about this? I have already begun saving to get to PC4 next year - anyone else going to come too? I also owe Cassidy a Guinness too!

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: osmeroid ]

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

This is indeed a really nice bunch of people, it's just a pity I'm not on the same continent as you guys or I could get more involved.

That's about to change...I'm just putting the finishing touches on a prototype telepod. I'm about to try it.

I agree with Stan Jr. I'd rather just give my extra carts to people I know will get use outta them as opposed to putting them up on ebay.

This was for me the first message board I ever joined...and I've met alot of great people!!!

LONG LIVE ATARI!!!!

The kindness of the Atari communtiy is never more noticeable than at the Philly classic/other conventions.

I don't think I talked to a single person who wasn't nice or wanting to give stuff at a discount or something. On multiple occasions I was offered a discount for buying more than one item, I turned one down because the stuff I got was too cheap the was it was.

I really apprecieate everyone who puts these Game Conventions together I can't imagine they are getting much in return from all their hard work.

hmm, yes, well, the karma of Atari Age seems to be just right for attracting all sorts of weird, interesting (and above all), nice people.

Noble Kale and Osmeroid were kind enough to offer help with my school work (though it turned out I didn't need it)
So you did ok then? If you *do* need help, just call

(yes, I will help with homework... ).

Oh, and arrrrrrr! (we haven't had a pirate thread in ageeeeeeeees)

As for stan being selfless, well, he goes ok considering he's been locked in that basement so long without that valve...

(and, an eternal thank you to the two Al's for their brilliant work in creating, updating & moderating this site... it's the best )

Oh, btw, anyone starting a new collection & in need of the basic commons (ie: pacman, space invaders, commando, enduro...) & in a pal zone, (or in need of a 2600)? I have a few sitting on my shelf that are just itching to be played, but I don't have time to play them all (they speak to me at night, telling me to play them.... the poor souls)